Biker Boater Boarder

Moab Dispersed Camping & BLM Closure

Hi guys,
    Was curious, if the BLM campsite are open along 128, Kane Crk etc. I've been told they are open but ya need to bring TP etc cause the bathrooms are empty which is fine with me, BUT I don't want to get in trouble for camping in them.

I don't mind staying in BLM dispersed camping areas/land either as I have my regulation fire pan and portable toilet etc. Some have said Willow Springs Road is nice but was wondering if anyone had ideas for the really good (sweet spots-locals secret dispersed camping area in or around Moab.

AND as a last resort I know there are plenty of great pay campground in Moab too if I get desperate.
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

mtbr member
    A few river sites are closed on 128 due to the shutdown, but most BLM sites are open.
    If it's a closed site, it will be signed at the entrance.
    There are several great sites off of Willow Springs. Don't fall for the sucker sites just off the road, go a ways in and then start looking for roads off to the right-you'll find privacy and some cool rock features. Good riding too from camp at Sovereign and Klonzo.

Biker Boater Boarder
    How far in is "a ways" approximately....2,3,4,5 miles? Thanks
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

mtbr member
    Not far.
    Never measured it in distance, but it takes a few minutes of driving before you'll see roads on the right off of Willow Springs.
    If you reach the sandy wash before the Sovereign trailhead you went too far.
    Sites start as soon as you make the turn on to Willow Springs, but drive a few minutes down the road and start looking.
    There are dozens of sites out there.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Camped there last weekend and it was very busy, it is getting more and more discovered. They really need to add some pit toilets as waste is becoming a problem. Hopefully they don't just shut it all down. I think the Sovereign trail head is only about 3 miles in at most, so most camping is before that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Camped at Kane Creek past couple days w/o issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    camped off of willow springs during outerbike after we got kicked out of one of the sites on the river. we took the first dirt road off to the left from willow springs and got a pretty nice, large spot with a fire ring already built and ready to go. no facilities or anything, but it's not a huge deal to haul your own trash out, and it's only a few minutes drive into moab should your stomach really start to rumble...