Thread: Moab DH

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Moab DH

Hey there, a few of my friends are in the planning stages of a trip to Moab. Most of them are trail/DH riders looking to do trail riding and such. I was wondering is there much DH? shuttling and what not?

Sir Hurt Locker
    I haven't been to Moab yet but since I am planning a trip down there in April I have done some research. It seems your best bet for DH in Moab is riding the Porcupine Rim trail (shuttle available), or checking out Barlett Wash (basically a big slick rock playground, steep declines and lots of drops to play with). Other than that I don't believe there are any DH so to speak trails in Moab (I may be wrong), I recommend you go out and get a topographical map of Moab, sit down over some cold beers and plan out some routes according to elevation levels and what not. You would be able to do some amazing ridge riding in Moab, for sure! If your gonna do that though make sure you have a GPS with you and a 4X4 vehicle.

Good Luck!
    Cheers,

Seb

Takin'er easy
    Porcupine Rim is not really a DH trail. If you ride it with a DH bike, which many of the locals do, you will be pushing much of the trail. I think a 6" travel bike is best for Porc Rim.

Definately check out bartlet wash. All-day fun to be found there.

If the La Sal mountains are free of snow when you go, do the Hazard County shuttle on a six inch bike. Many, many, many, many miles of descending. Make sure you train hard, since you'll be riding for upward of 5-6 hours.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Did the Enchilada minus burro pass in October on my 7 inch Stinky. I felt it was way too much bike for that trail. Even though it is stated as DH there is still plenty of climbing. Moab, no matter if you shuttle still makes you earn your turns.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    I rode Moab for the first time last March on my 2006 Enduro which seemed to be the perfect match for me. Some of the guys have mentioned there is alot of climbing involved and there definately is, so a trail bike with 5 or more inches of suspension will work quite well since there will be a lot of pedalling. From the rides I did, Amasa Back, Flat Pass, Slickrock, and Bartlett my favorite downhill sections were from Amasa, and Flat pass was quite fun as well. Of course the climbing was difficult and strenuous, but more than worth it in the end. The shuttle options for Porc Rim is a must. Even though I did not get to ride it when I was there this should be the top of anyones list looking for some super fun downhill. I'm not sure how much climbing involved after getting to the shuttle drop off, but being Moab, there definately has to be some! Another good Trail to check out is Sovereign with a shuttle.
    2006 Specialized Enduro Elite
    2004 Rocky Mountain Element 50

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Moab Rim use to be pure downhill until they took the chair lifts down. They even had DH races there. You can still push your bike up and ride but it is some extreme elevation gain. You can shuttle it if someone has a decked out 4x4 that can do a 4+ trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    [QUOTE=DC6*] ( I'm not sure how much climbing involved after getting to the shuttle drop off, )
    4.3mi, A moderate climb,but with lot's and lot's of rocky ledges.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    so what is the weather like this week and next??????
    is there a line down porc??

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I ride a Yeti ASX with 66ETA and have always thought it to much for most of those trails (except the Notch - which I may be chicken to try on my 5" trailbike!). I saw a guy on a Bottlerocket last time I did that shuttle and was quite jealous! Some of my friends ride Turner RFXs, which seem ideal.

Sir Hurt Locker
    I just got a trail book for Moab today. It lists the following as DH:

Hazard County - singletrack, plenty oppurtunities to get airborne hug trees and generally break the sound barrier.
    Kokopelli Down - 4000 ft of drop, rocky with tons of speed, optional nastiness
    North Beaver Mesa - 26 miles of downhill with very little climbing, two creek crossings, about 4000 ft of dropping
    Porcupine Rim - teeth rattling downhill, singletrack on the edge of a massive drop off
    Portal Trail - not very safe, BIG descent, BIG rocks, BIG danger, this trail is for downhillers and freeriders
    Whole Enchilada - very technical downhill
    Barlett Wash - a slickrock playground, practice some steep descents, drops, etc.
    Singletrack Death Descent - downhill trail off of Amasa Back trail, steep, loose, nasty singletrack descents with "big death" on the left, talk to the local bike shop if u are planning to ride this trail due to the creek crossing, at high water level it may be dangerous

Thats all i got, hope it helps.
    Cheers,

Seb

oootard

From my understanding, there are repetitive trails on that list. Hazard and Porc are part of the Whole Enchilada. Just for clarification.

Bored Carp
    Call Chili Pepper in Moab. DH is what they love.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    drboudreaux on the MTBR????

All of the rides mentioned are great, but like everyone says, be prepared to pedal.

There are a few really great (but short) shuttle pure-DH/FR trails in Moab. None of them are on the maps, you will have to check with the shop locals and see what you find out.

JMH

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I could be wrong but wouldn't all the upper Porcupine, Hazard, Burro be buried in snow right now? I would think you'd have to stay on the lower elevation stuff right now.

Just saw the "melt?" thread. Look there, good info.