mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Moab bike to trail matching

I've never ridden a full suspension bike but I think I will rent one for a day in Moab. I will be there 10-12 days and plan on riding a fully rigid Ti 29er or hardtail except for a single day rental. I don't want to reflect, "I wish I had ridden xyz trail with the full suspension instead of abc trail". So, what one trail for the rental? FYI, If both of my tires are more than 6 inches off the ground it is purely unintentional so "big air" is not a criteria.

Bored Carp
    Porc.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Porc.
    and Amasa Back and Flat Pass...

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    ditto

Porc on a 5-7" travel bike is da money! If you could fit Amasa in on the same day, you'd really be a happy camper.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I would suggest you ride your rigid bike one day and rent for the other nine...

JMH

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hate to say it but I agree with that too. Going back to your hard tail will be hard. The only moab trail I really didn't mind on a hardtail is slickrock (hardtail good for technical climbing). But it was really hard to go back to it after a full suspension... I'm bringing my single speed ridig 29er only in a couple weeks. But that said run what you brung, until only 10 years ago most of us were riding fully rigid and still loving it... Bring lots of advil though (and drink lots of water), your body will be hurting but as long as you take care of yourself you will be fine and have a blast regardless. Most shops also have multi day rentals, they discount for 2-3 days but it still works out to about $50 a day for higher end equip. The best rental advice I ever got was 90% of errors/bike damage to rentals occurs in transport rather than on the trail. So keep that in mind too and hopefully it helps! My fav shop is the one on the south side of town, Chili Pepper. The owner just sold a friend of mine an old Land Cruiser and is supposedly a really nice guy. Cheers, Andre

Bored Carp
    Chile Pepper is awesome, and Tracy pulls great espresso.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    I like Sovreign on my rigid bike as well as Slickrock. Fisher Mesa would probably be another good one for the rigid bike, but I haven't done it yet (only on a FS bike) - it's a pretty good drive for a fairly short ride.. Other than that... FS for everything.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I posted a Which Bike reply in the Moab Trip Planner... just one rider's opinion but it might be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I posted a Which Bike reply in the Moab Trip Planner... just one rider's opinion but it might be helpful.

Ditto. I'd agree that Porc Rim proper is enemy #1 of a rigid bike.

New Jersey
    For Moab, would something like a Reign X1 (08) be appropriate for most trails?

Judging by all the replies so far, I would think so. I ask because I am considering purchasing one when I get back from overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f4
    For Moab, would something like a Reign X1 (08) be appropriate for most trails?
    Yes. You'll get to know granny, too.

New Jersey
    Aww, just great. I always feel bad when I have to drop into the little ring.

But I guess that's why it's there.

Can't wait for the 36-11 on the way down though!