Paste eater

Mid Winter, it's on (lots-o-pics)

It's that time of year. The time of year when my feelings on Winter go from, "meh, could be worse..." To "Man, this really blows!". While, I'm a very much looking forward to warmer*temperatures*and the nice feeling of sun, shorts and T-shirts, January has really been pretty decent. December, for the most part, was a bit cooler and had a bit of weather as described in my "Winter Blues" post.

Since then, the weather has been stellar in the desert. It was Christmas day that really kicked off this amazing run we're still on.

Keels and Lina dog on Poison Spider Christmas day.
    Mountain Biking Poison Spider Mesa

On the way home, we stopped to check out some of the more famous petroglyphs here in Moab.
    Long horned sheep petroglyph

Keels petting the buffalo, hippo or whatever it is...
    petroglyph

"Wall Street" is a hot spot for Moab climbers and home to the petroglyphs posted above.
    Moab "wall street"

This time of year, the days are way to short, so after work type riding doesn't really happen, but the weekends and weekday sneaky rides have been awesome. I think I've strapped on tights three times all Winter. Some more from one of my*favorites, Amasa Back.

Can you see the climbers?
    Moab Climbers Near Amasa Back

Always time to stop and pet a mesa.
    Petting a Mesa

We spent a somewhat cooler day on the North side of*Sovereign / Cedar Mountain. Wouldn't make this ride a priority, but there is some great slickrock slabs to play on out there and one hell of a climb up Cedar Mountain. If you can clean it, you drink less beer then me.

Said Slickrock Slab

There is a few miles of some very nice tight and techy singletrack out there.

And never a shortage of unique rock formations.

Explored a few new lines on the Klondike Bluff.

I'll take Winter like this any year. Maybe the best part about this great stretch of weather is it couldn't have come at a better time. We're just mere days away from February which means the worst is over.

I'd rather be biking...
    Thanks for the post. U can never run out of singletrack and slickrock out there!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15 View Post
    U can never run out of singletrack and slickrock out there!
    A'int that the truth

mtbr member
    Beautiful, if I didnt have my daughters wedding over Christmas/New years break I would have wanted to be there rather than any other place.

I wonder how conditions are now out there? I have Thurs and fri off work and trying to decide if I want to go to St George or Moab. Can anyone give an update?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

St George could not be better

I rode in SG last weekend. Temps in the mid 50's and perfect trail conditions. Perfect.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    It's that time of year. The time of year when my feelings on Winter go from, "meh, could be worse..." To "Man, this really blows!". While, I'm a very much looking forward to warmer*temperatures*and the nice feeling of sun, shorts and T-shirts, January has really been pretty decent. December, for the most part, was a bit cooler and had a bit of weather as described in my "Winter Blues" post.

Since then, the weather has been stellar in the desert. It was Christmas day that really kicked off this amazing run we're still on.

Keels and Lina dog on Poison Spider Christmas day.
    Mountain Biking Poison Spider Mesa

On the way home, we stopped to check out some of the more famous petroglyphs here in Moab.
    Long horned sheep petroglyph

Keels petting the buffalo, hippo or whatever it is...
    petroglyph

"Wall Street" is a hot spot for Moab climbers and home to the petroglyphs posted above.
    Moab "wall street"

This time of year, the days are way to short, so after work type riding doesn't really happen, but the weekends and weekday sneaky rides have been awesome. I think I've strapped on tights three times all Winter. Some more from one of my*favorites, Amasa Back.

Can you see the climbers?
    Moab Climbers Near Amasa Back

Always time to stop and pet a mesa.
    Petting a Mesa

We spent a somewhat cooler day on the North side of*Sovereign / Cedar Mountain. Wouldn't make this ride a priority, but there is some great slickrock slabs to play on out there and one hell of a climb up Cedar Mountain. If you can clean it, you drink less beer then me.

Said Slickrock Slab

There is a few miles of some very nice tight and techy singletrack out there.

And never a shortage of unique rock formations.

Explored a few new lines on the Klondike Bluff.

I'll take Winter like this any year. Maybe the best part about this great stretch of weather is it couldn't have come at a better time. We're just mere days away from February which means the worst is over.
    i wonder what your Moab "experiment" attitude would have been at this time last year
    breezy shade

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    i wonder what your Moab "experiment" attitude would have been at this time last year
    Like I said, by the end of January I'm always ready for warmer temps. That goes for just about anywhere...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    maybe, but this year was a far cry from last years winter. no comparison
    breezy shade

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    maybe, but this year was a far cry from last years winter. no comparison

mtbr member
    Coming down for work tomorrow....will ride Thursday evening if precip allows, definitely Friday and Saturday if anyone is interested....up for anything and everything.