mtbr member

Memorial day trip planning

A group of us Pennsylvania boys are looking at the option of taking the week of memorial day off to do some Utah riding. First off, What kind of weather do you have in late May?
    We would like to rent a car and hit several areas, maybe even venturing into Colorado and Arizona.
    I had hoped to find camping near some of the great riding areas(Goosebury and Moab) to save some scratch.
    the weather is the biggest variable at this point. Any advice is appreciated. I have my eye on memorial day week to save a day of vacation.
    Danka
    count your blessings

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mays best bet would be southern Utah. I would say hit up moab as stated above or St. George. I went this April and aside from one rainy day (which dried up almost immediately) its awesome riding as its not too hot and not too cold!

mtbr member
    Yep, southern Utah is your best bet. Moab / Fruita area or the Gooseberry/Hurricane area. Choose one of the above. Don't try to do BOTH Moab and Gooseberry. It's a long drive between the two spots. Memorial Weekend is consistently good weather-wise, usually on the hot side. Moab/Fruita will easily keep you busy for over a week, trail-wise. St. George area will be getting pretty hot that time of year. And the trail styles between Moab and St. George are also different, so it depends on your preferred riding style, but either way, you can't go wrong. However, if you haven't been to either, I'd suggest hitting up Moab/Fruita.

mtbr member

Re: Memorial day trip planning

Just be aware that mid-upper 80's in Moab in the afternoon in the sun on the red rock will feel ridiculously hot to you - like Chronicles of Riddick hot. It is a dry heat, true, so it feels nice in the shade (unlike 80s in PA), but the sun bakes you if you are out on the rocks. Plan for early morning rides and more water than you ever thought you would need.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replys! I have been to Moab and Goosebury on two different trips. The dry heat is something I really enjoy. What is the deal with camp fires and camping in the desert? Are they alright if there is no fire ban?

We will probably hit up several areas and do some sight seeing the rest days. With 9 days we should be able to get our fill of riding.
    count your blessings

mtbr member
    Campfires should be fine. There are very rarely fire restrictions that early in the year.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzer16 View Post
    We will probably hit up several areas and do some sight seeing the rest days. With 9 days we should be able to get our fill of riding.
    Then make sure and go check out Zion National Park. It's a very short drive from Hurricane / Gooseberry area, and there's nothing else like it in the world. While there do the short... but steep... hike up Angel's Landing. Arches NP just outside of Moab is also a personal favorite for sight seeing. Lot's of shortish hikes to some pretty amazing arches.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallopius View Post
    Then make sure and go check out Zion National Park. It's a very short drive from Hurricane / Gooseberry area, and there's nothing else like it in the world. While there do the short... but steep... hike up Angel's Landing. Arches NP just outside of Moab is also a personal favorite for sight seeing. Lot's of shortish hikes to some pretty amazing arches.
    I Was in Kanab last year for a week and retoured Zion and Bryce and plan to hit them both again. I was riding guacamole trail when the rest of the group did angel landing. We made the drive from Kanab twice that week to re-ride thunder mountain outside Bryce. What cool scenery!
    Needless to say, I can't wait to get out there again!
    count your blessings

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by charcist View Post
    Campfires should be fine. There are very rarely fire restrictions that early in the year.
    Last three years we've had extremely dry conditions in the Virgin/Zion/St George are very early in the season. Campfires should be a common sense thing but unfortunately common sense isn't common. Its only a matter of time until someone sets Goose on fire. I put out two unattended camp fires this year and a couple last year.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts