swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009

MB-Kayak-Camp-3 teenagers-Moab-March-Where

As you can see I am headed to Moab with my son (12) and two friends in March. Im bringing Mbikes, kayaks, and camping gear. My goal is to "light there fire with nature" and diminish their addiction to "Black OPs Whatever - virtual video $hit".

Is it possible to camp near the river " or A river", in a relatively secluded spot, accessible with a 2-wheel passenger van?

We would like to be relatively close to kayaking, as I know Mbiking opportunities will be easily managed.

Ideas-suggestions. I have heard Moonflower is excellent, is this true? If not, what -where is better?
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Oops Sorry, I see the sticky. Don't smack me. Pleeese.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Gold Bar campground near Corona Arch could work, depending on how important secluded is to you. Its on Potash Road, and has 4 group sites, so secluded isn't really its strong point, but in March might be empty. Advantages it would have for you, cell signal is pretty much zero, and between sites A and B is a boat ramp (which I would use as a take out, put in up above the bridge into town).
    Gold Bar

Your Best Friend

Re: MB-Kayak-Camp-3 teenagers-Moab-March-Where

Agree with nord1899. Gold bar is right near/on the river and just about 5 miles past the Poison Spider Mesa trailhead. Also, across the road from the campground is a great hike to a huge arch.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Nord-Silent,

I appreciate your "local knowledge" immensely. Thank you for sharing, you have contributed to what "I hope" will be an epic "adventcation' for 3 young men and an immature adult. Thanks so much. We will definitely give Gold Bar a look.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    There is also quite a bit of camping on the river upstream (whereas Gold Bar is downstream) up Hwy 128, aka the river road. The BLM maintains small clusters of primitive campsites (pit toilet and a picnic table maybe, everything else you provide) and they are almost all right on the riverside. They are first come first serve, and things start hopping in March. Seclusion is hard to come by in the desert, but if that is a priority there are more of the same primitive campsites up the Sand Flats Road (near and around the Slickrock Trail) that are a bit more hidden. A little more scenic as well. I much prefer either of these areas to Gold Bar, which is more like a gigantic gravel lot. Gold Bar is, however, a nice takeout for a flatwater kayak stretch in case you have some inexperienced kayakers. You can put in right at the bridge across the Colorado on hwy 191 just north of town (north side of the river, east side of the highway, small access road right at the end of the bridge) and take out at Gold Bar. I think that is 8 or so river miles. Or you could go upstream to take out beach and add another 9 miles to the float. Or put in at take out beach and take out at the bridge. These are all just flat water and riffle floats, lots of folks in town can point you to good stretches with rapids.

A couple things to think about. Camping around Moab is fairly well regulated and you're not allowed to drive down any dirt road you see and put up a tent. Moonflower is a nice spot, but you park next to the road and walk in to the campsites. Not far, but you won't be right next to your trunk. There are other sites as well on both the Kane Creek and Potash road. Jeep week is also sometime in March and it's a huge event. They fill up the campsites rather quickly so if you are there at the same time plan your campspot early in the day and maybe stay in one spot once you have one. They like Gold Bar and Sand Flats more than the river road, but almost all campsites are busy to full on the weekends by the second half of March.

Have lots of fun. It should be the perfect time to be there.

mtbr member

MB-Kayak-Camp-3 teenagers-Moab-March-Where

What kind of kayaking do you want to do? Ruby-Horsethief Canyon is a great flat water paddle. You would want to camp on the river a night or two (Permit Required). The put in is right near the Kokopelli trails area, with sweet single track. Westwater is a splendid class 4ish run, best done over two days (Permitted). Further down is Fish Ford, this is one of the quietest campgrounds on the river. You can put in there and float to Dewy Bridge or all the way to Moab. 'The daily' is a stretch of river just before town that has class III- rapids, there are campsites all along the river on this stretch, they can get crowded. Further down river is Labyrinth, I haven't paddled this. I know its a flat water stretch, but I don't know the logistics. I am sure you can search for info on the riding near these areas, Ruby-Horsethief and Westwater would be under Western Slope, CO. Dewy Bridge down is the UT threads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Agree with nord1899. Gold bar is right near/on the river and just about 5 miles past the Poison Spider Mesa trailhead. Also, across the road from the campground is a great hike to a huge arch.
    Also, if you go past Gold Bar until you reach the dirt road (after the river put in), the first ~mile of dirt road has various trails/rough side-roads that lead to free "campgrounds", more private, and a better view... but potentially sandy when it's windy!