mtbr member
    May 2007

Maple Hollow (Draper) Downhill reconstruction meeting on Monday

Maple Hollow (Draper) Downhill reconstruction meeting at Draper City Hall on Monday, August 20 at 6:30 pm. Come give input to the reconstruction planning and design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maple Hollow (Draper) Downhill reconstruction meeting on Monday-atttention-downhill-mountain-bikers.jpg  

oootard
    I hope this meeting is well attended. The trails committee and the City folks have seen plenty of vids of A-line, Crank it Up, etc. to prime the pump. I even showed Greg a location for a re-route to eliminate the flow killer section of the trail.

This is a sweet opportunity to make the Draper DH a fun, flowy line with hits of varying degrees of difficulty down the trail as has been discussed with the City for several years.

Wish I could attend, but I moved away from Draper about a year ago, though I will be back there in a few years. It would be sweet to return to a sweet machine built trail. Thanks Draper! Make it legit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Planning on being there.

oootard
    My biggest concern is ensuring that the trail continues to have a DH/FR/AM focus and does not turn into Rush Trail West, which is more designed for 29ers. The lower Rush trail is fun, but it is still pretty small and tight. The XC and 29er guys have the Rush trail. The Maple Hollow trail was always supposed to be for the big bikes. I hope that the City plans on keeping it that way.

mtbr member
    I was told that Greg reserved a large room for this meeting tonight in hopes that it could be filled with many DHers. Please show up if you can.

This trail can end up being a fantastic shuttle with proper input and support.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Me=new guy in town, haven't ridden there yet, but do love me some DH. I will be there this evening.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Impressed with the turnout considering the short notice. Probably 20 people showed up. Looks like the city has enough money to at least get this off the ground ($40k), but it could for sure use volunteers when the time comes for fine shaping and hand work. I'm sure there will be plenty of work and that money will need to be spent on the main trail shaping and major features. The initial plan is to replace the bulk of the current trail with a wide (6') machine built cut with big berms and 20-30' tables along with other options, drops, and hopefully at least one big dirt merchant style step-up. Dirt lips will be senders more than lipped to reduce maintenance and encourage the use of DH bikes. Maybe use some of the lower gulley section (where the best jumps currently are) to make 3 option trails with a return for people to session those trails.

Of note: The part from the upper lot down the XC switchbacks and the rock strewn road is all owned by Zion's bank for now and is not part of the rework. If there is money left they sounded open to at least trying to make those sections a touch better, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

This won't be for the 29er crowd at all, but anyone on a 6"+ bike or slopestyle bikes will love it. There will be a new filter added at the top and at the intersection with Ann's and the trail will be well signed as experts only, double black, downhill only. I'm trying to curb my overstoke, but it seems legit.

Not that I'm the person necessarily, but I do think they could use a hand setting up a way to do online donations cause the way it was presented sounded like they are a little shy of the amount that Alpine Trails feels is needed to completely fill the trail with features. Think of it this way, every $2k gets us another big table. I'm sure we could put price tags on other features too. I wonder if it would be possible to literally setup donations toward specific features once the major trail design is complete? Then people would put their money where their mouths are. Even an extra $5k would go a long way they thought, and I'd hope the DH community could raise at least that. Even if everyone that will ride the trail gave the price of one lift ticket to the Canyon's.

This trail will be a great option when the lifts in PC aren't spinning. Ok fine, I'm STOKED!

oootard
    So stoked.

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    Very stoked to hear about these developments. I was REALLY bummed I couldn't make it last night, but being gone for the weekend for the Dark Hollow race made it a no-go for me.

Put me down as a donater and a volunteer. Can't wait to get digging on this trail. Draper City- you guys rock!!

mtbr member
    x post from TGR:
    The review of last night's meeting has been given. It was very positive. From the mouth of Draper City officials... "we've learned a lot over the past few years... what works and what doesn't" Eyes have been opened.

Running machines and paying a building team will use up funds. Volunteer work and donations will go far.

The meeting finished with nothing but input from riders on what features are desired and where. Several giant area photo/maps were on hand to be drawn on. If riders don't get the trail they want this go around... we have no one to blame but ourselves. Involved riders will have influence on this trail. Features with the most support and volunteer force will get the most attention and will be higher priority.

Alpine Trails has insurance and operators to cover equipment; but, will have to rent some machines. If anyone has a connection to a tracked skid steer and a 30+ HP mini X with 24" bucket, the city money will go further and we'll get more features built.

As for emails, they should go to Ben from Alpine trails. I have his email. It was given out last night. Not sure if I should just post it or PM it to whoever wants it. Emails to Ben should be about features you want along with how many hours you can donate to build this year. Donations for food, raffle items etc all help in some way to stretch the dollar and get people out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    It's on their website so I think it's fine...
    Ben@Alpine-Trails.com

As was said, what they want is to know how many hours/days you can donate, and if you have specific feature requests so he can create a build plan that is viable. If the donated labor is sufficient more features will be built. Also if you have access to the equipment at reduced rates or donated materials that would be good to add in the email. Get together with your friends and create less, but bigger emails if possible just so he can digest the information better/faster.

Volunteer days will mostly be Saturdays due to the fact that their full crew will be working the trail with the heavy equipment M-F 9-5 and as fall approaches and the work ramps up, the daylight will end earlier. People can help on the weekdays, but they will need to contact him ahead of time, so his crew is aware of your presence when running machinery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sounds awesome donating time might be a possibility for me.

Did they say that it costs 2k to build a table?! Damn as kids we coulda been rich with all the trails weve built! haha. Sounds crazy that it really would cost that though, especially with equipment. Not complaining just surprised is all...

It sounds like the trail will be closed, does anyone know when the closure will begin and how long the closure is projected to last?
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I built some biggish stuff as a kid too, but this is a different scale. Imagine moving enough dirt to make a table 6 feet wide by 8 feet high by 20-30 feet long. They said it takes about 2 days with the heavy equipment to get it built packed and shaped. As a kid we didn't really build true tables, we used to just build them as most people today think of large hips with a spine down the center. We never hit them as hips unless we screwed up. More of a good bail option. Of course that was almost 30 years ago.

No word on the closure yet, but yes it will obviously need to be closed for a while for safety and to keep traffic off. I'd guess from about a month from now till next spring, but that is totally a guess based on the comments heard yesterday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Are there really going to be 30 ft tables on the trail?! sounds crazy! Id be stoked.

Yeah I have been involved in building numerous BMX tracks as well, depending on the equipment available and obviously the terrain in this case...

Looking forward to it either way

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801 View Post
    Are there really going to be 30 ft tables on the trail?! sounds crazy! Id be stoked.

Yeah I have been involved in building numerous BMX tracks as well, depending on the equipment available and obviously the terrain in this case...

Looking forward to it either way
    Ben definitely mentioned 20' to 30' tables multiple times. His vision for this trial is pretty impressive. I am excited to ride it, but after talking about it, I am excited to get building on it (again) kind of like playing in the sandbox when I was a kid.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Thanks to everyone who showed up to support this effort. It's fantastic to see Draper City and all involved stepping up to make this happen. I couldn't make the meeting last night but a couple other WAFTA board members were there to show our support. Exciting times for the SLC riding scene!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sorry I missed this post and the meeting. I haven't ridden the bigger bikes much for a couple of years so I cannot wait. I am happy to get friends here in Draper to donate and can bring scouts on Sat for their volunteer hours

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    Dirt lips will be senders more than lipped to reduce maintenance and encourage the use of DH bikes.
    Uh, encourage the use of DH bikes because there is less lip? I think they meant to encourage the use of more beginner level DH bike riders. The trails at Whistler are constantly referenced in this thread. Anyone notice the jumps on Dirt Merchant and A-Line getting less lippy in last 5 years or so? Or how about the Crab Apple hits? They add more lip to those every year. I'm not super familiar with Alpine Trails, but I doubt they came to the table with this suggestion. Just went you thought there was a chance for progression........

I fully buy into the less maintenance part thought. Flat ground is easier to maintain than a beautifully sculpted dirt jump.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    Ben definitely mentioned 20' to 30' tables multiple times. His vision for this trial is pretty impressive. I am excited to ride it, but after talking about it, I am excited to get building on it (again) kind of like playing in the sandbox when I was a kid.

Awesome! Did they mention when construction will start? an ETA of when it will be complete or rideable?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801 View Post
    Awesome! Did they mention when construction will start? an ETA of when it will be complete or rideable?
    I think the plan is to start working on it this fall, probably October or so, as for a completion date, not really sure on that. A big factor on how quick it can be completed will be the number of volunteers. So make sure to come out and help and bring your friends.

mtbr member

Walk-through Design Day

Come out and let us know what you want to see, in person. Parking will be rough so carpool if you can, I'd like to do a lap at the end of the day too if people are so inclined.

Ben
    Alpine-Trails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maple Hollow (Draper) Downhill reconstruction meeting on Monday-draper-design-day-flyer-091112.jpg