Thread: Mag 4 maybe 5?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Mag 4 maybe 5?

Howdy! After missing my spring break road trip last year due to acl surgery, I finally get to head to Moab 3/18-21! Plan to ride some of the new trails and had a few questions about the Mag 7 area.

This variation looks good on paper but I want to see what you knowledgable ones think! The idea is to park at Gemini Bridges, ride up and down Bull Run, do Great Escape to Little Cyn, make a left on L.C. to Arth's, go up arth's back to Gemini for a lunch break at my truck.

After lunch, down Arth's and Little Cyn then up and down Gold Bar singletrack maybe as far as the rim. Then back up L.C. and Arth's back to Gemini. Looks to be about 26 miles; 16 before lunch and 10 after.

How does this plan look? How tough are the climbs up Bull Run, Arth's and Little Cyn? I'm a slow climber but I'll get there! Would climbing up Gemini road be much easier and/or shorter than riding up the trails? (I assume that option would be more boring!)

Haven't been to Moab in 3 years so I plan to explore some other new-to-me areas like Brand Trails, Sovereign/Salt Wash and maybe EKG/Baby Steps so if any of you have any tidbits of info on those areas I'll take 'em! Thanks!

Bored Carp
    At a mellow talking pace, you can loop the entire system and ride the dirt road up in less than 3 hours. People do ride up the trails, but I am guessing that you will encounter a ton of downhill traffic now that the tourist season is rolling - Mag 7 is quickly becoming a very popular route.

The Brand and Klondike systems are great, you will have fun out there.

Cheers,
    C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Paste eater
    I've ridden up just abou tall of Mag 7 from Gemini. It rides great. Like Chuky has mentioned, I'm not sure i'd do it on the weekend. A bit too much downhill traffic.

An alternate option might be to make a loop out of it with the stuff closer to the rim/191. Not sure on exact details but I know metal masher would be in there. Would look something like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mag 4 maybe 5?-little-canyon-mag-7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    As Jwind mentioned making a loop with Metal Masher/Portions of Mag 7 is a good option. I did that a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. Had to bail prior to the Goldbar ST loop on the map due to wife restrictions but that could easily be added with not adding too much time to the ride. Although the beginning on MM is kinda boring, it gets fun toward the top and I enjoy any ride that puts my on that rim, so cool up there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the info people! I'll be riding this area on a Monday but if it looks like there might be some downhill traffic, I'll just pedal up the road. Probably easier anyway and I hate to mess up someone's downhill flow when I'm climbing if they yield before I do. Plus after checking the videos it looks like a lot more work to climb those trails and I hate real work; that's why I'm a P.E. teacher!

BTW Chuky, I wish my wife had a mellow talking pace! She can talk faster than most people can type!