mtbr member

Looking to spend the summer in Moab

Hey all, I'm 18 and graduating this year and I had been planning to do a road trip back out west. But sadly due to budget set backs I won't be able to afford to a decent round trip. So my question to all you moab locals is this, are there any decent temp jobs to be had in this awesome area?
    I'm a decent mountain bike rider, I learned to drive at pismo, glamis and anza borrego(read as I'm a some what experienced 4 wheeler) and I do all of wrenching on my bike. But is it honestly realistic for me to be able to find a job in this Moab?

BTW, I'm not stuck on moab, it just seems like a good logical central point to have as a home base while I go see the surrounding areas.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Moab?

What kind of temp job are you looking for?

Moab is too remote to be a central base for exploring. It is 100 miles to anything from here. With gas at $3.10 a gallon, if you can't afford a round trip, you can't afford to be driving around from Moab.

If you are looking to drive a 4x4 around, you could call the companies in Moab that do Hummer tours. Google 'Moab Hummer Tours'.

I'll be real honest. If I was 18, I'd be looking to move to the Grand Junction area or Wyoming and get a job in the oilfields for a few years. You can live in the man camps cheap, and make big money. However you have to be willing to WORK for it.

Quote Originally Posted by carnage
    Hey all, I'm 18 and graduating this year and I had been planning to do a road trip back out west. But sadly due to budget set backs I won't be able to afford to a decent round trip. So my question to all you moab locals is this, are there any decent temp jobs to be had in this awesome area?
    I'm a decent mountain bike rider, I learned to drive at pismo, glamis and anza borrego(read as I'm a some what experienced 4 wheeler) and I do all of wrenching on my bike. But is it honestly realistic for me to be able to find a job in this Moab?

BTW, I'm not stuck on moab, it just seems like a good logical central point to have as a home base while I go see the surrounding areas.

moreon
    You might want to try Springdale, Utah / Zion National Park for the summer. This is a small town, smack dab in the middle of the national park, with a lot of restaurants, hotels, and services that need seasonal workers. In the national park, the privately administered lodge hires temp workers and in some cases even provides housing. The hotels are always looking for folks to clean rooms, the restaurants need wait staff, and landscapers need folks with strong backs. The tour guides are out there as well, a harder nut to crack.

I lived in Springdale for almost a decade and saw transients come through every year. Some found work, others didn't. It really comes down to how well you can fit into this eclectic community, and how easily you can make friends with the locals - that's the best way to open doors in any resort town.

Good luck.

frejwilk

Colorado

Are you looking for a summer temp. job because you're planning college in the fall? And maybe enjoy some western riding while you're here? Oil field work probably wouldn't fit your bill if that was the case, unless you're just trying to earn money.

Moab probably isn't your best bet. It is really hot, jobs don't pay well, and you aren't that close to other good summer riding destinations (except Durango or PC - @3-4hrs).

Summit County, or Durango, CO would be two places with some decent summer jobs. Both would also allow you to visit other fun places within a few hours drive. Park City, UT would be nice, but not really central to other summer destinations like you'd have in CO. Maybe consider Idaho locations as well.

Good luck with your summer,

FW

i drink shower water
    summit county is not cheap to live in.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Moab (at least a few years ago) seemed to start up and be hiring in March, perhaps a bit earlier. So, not the best option for you (it would seem). I'd be looking up, north and in elevation. Summer camps, that sort of thing. And based on my experience doing similar things back in the day ( ), start asking now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Try Salt Lake for cheap living and lots of jobs. Plus you dont know how hot Moab is in the summer. You would melt.
    Not really but 100 plus days are not that fun all the time.
    VM

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the response, I've started looking around for a possible job and just generally getting my name out there. At best all I'm looking for is a job to offset the expense of a bed and food while I'm up there.

I'm fine when it comes to the heat, I'd trade a 95 degree day with 80 percent humidity for 100+ day any day.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Good trhead.. I am up in Park City. Not too much of a seasonal town. There are three shops, White Pine Touring, Jan's, and Cole Sport. All three are big and may have a job for you or someone you can call. Try to line it up beforehand if possible. It is an awesome destination, big seasonal crowd but in winter. but it is nice and cool and there is about 450 miles of single track around here. I wouldn't rule out Moab at all. But get out as early as possible and also try to line up some work before you get out as it might be dried up. I might be able to recommend a place down south of Moab about an hour that builds eco-friendly houses that is a community project and could use some work... Come late June / July it will regularly be over 100 down there, ride early/dawn or late in the evening or at night. Moab is a fun town though with the locals if you are moderately non-agro and/or educated. But a lot of locals clear out in summer. In spring and fall / early winter it is unreal. But cheesy touristy style and slightly craptastic. Fruita is an hour away or so. Zion about 3 hours, lots of good riding all over the place. If you can save up some $$ to cruise around the state, you will be fine, but these are also hot destinations to visit in summer too.

But sure would be a blast. I personally would choose Zion over Moab if it were me... But no way to lose other than the heat...

mtbr member
    At 18 years of age and a mountain biker. I say go to Moab and have a blast!
    I am sure you can get a job. Not going to be a big paying job but you can def. live in Moab!
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Mike clicked your link that is awesome, I grew up in Keene / Keene Valley right around the corner Hope the winter is treating you well, it is insane out here