Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Looking for an SLC Real Estate Agent/Rider

Hey folks -

There's a decent chance (~50%?) that my wife will take a postdoc position at UofU next year, so I'm (maybe) looking for someone who knows the area, isn't a jerk/stereotypical real estate person, and understands our needs (access to trails, bikeable neighborhood close to the U, garage space for my business, etc). I figure a fellow rider is probably the best bet.

We'll probably be in town to visit in the next month or so, and since my knowledge of SLC is VERY limited (visited once 15 years ago) I'd love to have a local guide.

And yes, I would do a trade for your commission, or part of it, if you want a fancy custom bike.

If you think you could help me (remember, there's not a guarantee we'll end up buying a house in SLC, it's only one of several possibilities right now) drop me a line.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Connie USED to... I don't think she is in real estate anymore. But it might be worth PMing her. You can find her posting in the Womens Lounge.

Feel free to PM me or Chuky as well.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Hey folks -

There's a decent chance (~50%?) that my wife will take a postdoc position at UofU next year, so I'm (maybe) looking for someone who knows the area, isn't a jerk/stereotypical real estate person, and understands our needs (access to trails, bikeable neighborhood close to the U, garage space for my business, etc). I figure a fellow rider is probably the best bet.

We'll probably be in town to visit in the next month or so, and since my knowledge of SLC is VERY limited (visited once 15 years ago) I'd love to have a local guide.

And yes, I would do a trade for your commission, or part of it, if you want a fancy custom bike.

If you think you could help me (remember, there's not a guarantee we'll end up buying a house in SLC, it's only one of several possibilities right now) drop me a line.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Real estate agent that I used, along with a half dozen people I know, was absolutely kick ass. I don't believe he is a mtn biker at all, but extremely good at what he does.

He developed his own website (well hired it out) that I think is quite good.
    Search All Utah Homes and Real Estate for Sale | Saltyhomes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bob Plumb. If you are looking to live in the Sugarhouse area (near the U) he is the man. Bob rides bikes (used to race moto) and has sold, shown or owned nearly every house in the area, won't waste your time (except talking about bikes - which I don't consider a waste) and will take care of finishing details if needed (i.e. paint, concrete work, whatever).

Plumb & Co.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    I don't know any real estate agents that fit the bill (even though my father in law is one), but I will volunteer to help you move in and get the shop settled! For the small fee of getting to watch you work!

frog

Picture Unrelated
    I can't help with particular real estate agents, we went with Keller Williams agency and it was fine, but if you need any advice about parts of town or proximity to trails just ask away. It's hard to go wrong no matter where you move, but if I were to have my pick of anywhere I would probably move up to Park City and commute to SLC. I lived in SLC and commuted to PC for years, it's a great town.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Walt not sure if you ski, but it is great in Utah. Biking season is much shorter in the SLC area than what we have here on the Front Range. I lived in SLC and the surrounding mountains for 10 years went to the U and have been in Golden now for going on 7 years. Shoot me a PM if you have questions about where to live, there are many good areas and trail access near the University.

Best place I lived was in Silver Fork in Big Cottonwood Canyon....amazing 3 years spent there. Park City is nice and has ton's of trails but the biking season is shorter there....if you ski or snowboard you will be fine. In fact the skiing really is far better than Colorado.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Tom Wilkinson with Probe Realtors. He is an avid Mtn. Biker and is one of the top agents in the valley. He would be an excellent resource.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Big thanks to everyone!

I got a great referral to a local fellow (Paz Ortiz) - many thanks to y'all. We'll be in SLC in early March, I think, for Sarah to do some interviews, so I'll be wandering around the town scoping things out while she drops science and kicks knowledge... meaning looking at real estate, and maybe going for a hike or ride on the Shoreline trail if things are dry enough (probably not).

FWIW, currently we don't ski, but that's because of I70 (you CO folks know what I'm talking about). I'm guessing Park City will be much more appealing given the much shorter travel distance/time.

This all assumes that Sarah gets a job, of course.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Without knowing how much you want to spend, I'd look in Holladay, Cottonwood Heights, Millcreek areas. I believe these areas to be the best, location wise, in the valley. Close to downtown (15 min), close to the U (10 min), close to the airport (15-20 min), close to skiing (Alta, Snowbird, Brighton and Solitude all within 20 min or less), close to great trails (Crest, City Creek, Corner Canyon, etc.). All this without feeling like you're in the middle of it all. Of course, the housing prices are a bit high compared to other areas.

The main concern I would have with living in PC is having to go through Parley's Canyon. Most of the year, it's fine. But when the snow hits, there is always pile-ups, jack-knifed semi's, etc. A route that I personally wouldn't want my wife commuting through. But the city itself is great with great trails and ok skiing (BCC and LCC are a notch above, IMO).

I'm stoked that you may be coming to Utah. If you do, I think I have the builder for my next frame.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Great info!

Thanks for the info! For what it's worth, Sarah does not drive (well, she's got a license, but she pretty much refuses to do it unless there's no other option) so we will be exclusively looking at areas that are a <30 minute bike ride from the university.

She is a tough cookie - 7 months pregnant, it's 20 degrees out today and there's 3 feet of snow. She rode her singlespeed to work... I feel lame!

Coming from Boulder, everything real-estate related in SLC seems dirt cheap - literally half the price of houses here.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Without knowing how much you want to spend, I'd look in Holladay, Cottonwood Heights, Millcreek areas. I believe these areas to be the best, location wise, in the valley. Close to downtown (15 min), close to the U (10 min), close to the airport (15-20 min), close to skiing (Alta, Snowbird, Brighton and Solitude all within 20 min or less), close to great trails (Crest, City Creek, Corner Canyon, etc.). All this without feeling like you're in the middle of it all. Of course, the housing prices are a bit high compared to other areas.

The main concern I would have with living in PC is having to go through Parley's Canyon. Most of the year, it's fine. But when the snow hits, there is always pile-ups, jack-knifed semi's, etc. A route that I personally wouldn't want my wife commuting through. But the city itself is great with great trails and ok skiing (BCC and LCC are a notch above, IMO).

I'm stoked that you may be coming to Utah. If you do, I think I have the builder for my next frame.
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Coming from Boulder I would suggest avoiding Holladay....while the access to the mountains is good it is lame. Lived there for 3 years and it was easy to get the U and the mountains, but unless you are mormon I doubt you would like it. Check the avenues....cool homes up there and direct access to the trails and the U.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Thanks for the info! For what it's worth, Sarah does not drive (well, she's got a license, but she pretty much refuses to do it unless there's no other option) so we will be exclusively looking at areas that are a <30 minute bike ride from the university.

She is a tough cookie - 7 months pregnant, it's 20 degrees out today and there's 3 feet of snow. She rode her singlespeed to work... I feel lame!

Coming from Boulder, everything real-estate related in SLC seems dirt cheap - literally half the price of houses here.

-Walt
    From my house in Cottonwood Heights, the U is 11 miles (taking Wasatch Blvd - great ride BTW- to Foothill). Riding from Millcreek, it's about half that. Sugarhouse is closer, but choose your neighborhood well if you move there. Lots of students there. Regarding Avenues, I'm not a big fan. It's too close to downtown and traffic can get irritating. Especially with all the construction going on. But it's all personal preference. All of the areas are great. If you do end up moving here, you will enjoy it.

Oh, the Mormon comment. There have been a lot of non-Mormon in-migration over the last several years. Most of my neighbors are not Mormon, and also applies to all of the areas mentioned. Don't believe the horror stories. This will be a non-issue. Unless you're "that neighbor." Then everyone will hate you--regardless of religion.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Not a big deal

I actually grew up with a ton of Mormon friends in New Mexico and am pretty much a quiet nerd, not a party animal, so my instinct is that it's not a big issue. But as I said, I have not spent time in SLC - maybe it will be serious culture shock!

We'll be out March 5th-8th, so if anyone is interested in hooking up for a ride or a (are they all 3.2?) brew, or both, let me know. Sarah's job is to impress the profs, mine is to "check out" the city, which means some tromping around looking at real estate, but also some "does the climbing gym/trail/snooty grocery store/brewery suck or not? Only one way to find out..." type stuff.

-Walt

From my house in Cottonwood Heights, the U is 11 miles (taking Wasatch Blvd - great ride BTW- to Foothill). Riding from Millcreek, it's about half that. Sugarhouse is closer, but choose your neighborhood well if you move there. Lots of students there. Regarding Avenues, I'm not a big fan. It's too close to downtown and traffic can get irritating. Especially with all the construction going on. But it's all personal preference. All of the areas are great. If you do end up moving here, you will enjoy it.

Oh, the Mormon comment. There have been a lot of non-Mormon in-migration over the last several years. Most of my neighbors are not Mormon, and also applies to all of the areas mentioned. Don't believe the horror stories. This will be a non-issue. Unless you're "that neighbor." Then everyone will hate you--regardless of religion.
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Beer in Utah is the following:
    - Grocery store or gas station = 3.2%
    - Any keg beer, anywhere = 3.2%
    - Non full on bar = 3.2%
    - State liquor store = proper
    - Full on bar, in bottles = proper

As for place to live, pretty much anywhere north of I-80 and east of I-15. Further east and/or north you go, the likelihood of it being nicer increases. Sugarhouse, Foothill bench, Avenues, etc are all nice places. I currently live near Trolley Square, but hope to sell this place and buy a new one in east Sugarhouse / Foothill Bench in a couple years.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

ski resorts???

From Holladay or Mill Creek I don't think u will be to Brighton or Snowbird in 20 minutes. The ski resorts are close but not that close. i have always laughed at this when i read the ski mags, ever get behind a UTA bus or stop at 7 lights on the way up?? Nevertheless just get close to Big Cottonwood and you will be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    From Holladay or Mill Creek I don't think u will be to Brighton or Snowbird in 20 minutes. The ski resorts are close but not that close. i have always laughed at this when i read the ski mags, ever get behind a UTA bus or stop at 7 lights on the way up?? Nevertheless just get close to Big Cottonwood and you will be fine.
    Eh, I live near Trolley Square and on a normal (read: not a powder crazy day) I can easily get from home to most ski resorts in under 30 minutes (Canyons, Soli, Bird, etc).

Of course, you can always get stuck behind a UTA bus, or some tourist without proper tires or whatever.