mtbr member

Looking for Info on the Gravel Roads around Scofield Reservoir

I'm doing my duty as a scout leader at Scofield Scout camp next week, one of several leaders taking a bunch of 12 year olds to a week long scout camp.

I'm hoping to get up early once or twice and get some riding in on the gravel roads around this area on my hardtail. I've been wanting to ride the Skyline Drive for quite some time, but haven't made it there yet. So I cooked up this 31 mile day loop that takes me from Scofield reservoir out to the Skyline Drive and back:

https://www.strava.com/routes/13656891

To be safe I'll assume there won't be any water along the way, so I'll have to carry enough to get me through 31 miles, but I'm guessing there will be various creeks to filter if I need to. Any advice is appreciated. This area is kind of off the beaten path but I'm hoping these gravel roads on the maps are free of snow, open and rideable. If there are any other routes I should consider, that advice would be welcome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    I'm doing my duty as a scout leader at Scofield Scout camp next week, one of several leaders taking a bunch of 12 year olds to a week long scout camp.

I'm hoping to get up early once or twice and get some riding in on the gravel roads around this area on my hardtail. I've been wanting to ride the Skyline Drive for quite some time, but haven't made it there yet. So I cooked up this 31 mile day loop that takes me from Scofield reservoir out to the Skyline Drive and back:

https://www.strava.com/routes/13656891

To be safe I'll assume there won't be any water along the way, so I'll have to carry enough to get me through 31 miles, but I'm guessing there will be various creeks to filter if I need to. Any advice is appreciated. This area is kind of off the beaten path but I'm hoping these gravel roads on the maps are free of snow, open and rideable. If there are any other routes I should consider, that advice would be welcome.
    I was up in that zone a few weeks ago. Skyline drive up high was still snowy ( and closed to vehicles ) but that has probably changed. There are so many roads its crazy, but beware that there is a fair bit of traffic on the big ones ... trailer dragging nature lovers everywhere.

report back - cool area. there is singletrack too but it isn't on the web and a lot of it is horse trail etc.