mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Looking for a day of riding outside slc

I have a hall pass at the end of my Moab trip for one day of solo riding. I have to be back in Jackson, wy the next day, so I was looking for something about halfway between where I could camp. I came across fifth water ridge on the utahmountainbiking page, looks like what I'm after, but I can't find any mention of riding season. Is it rideable? I'm open to other areas with nearby camping.

mtbr member
    You don't say exactly when your trip ends, but 5th water ridge probably won't open until late May-ish at the earliest. You should be able to hit the lower parts earlier but doubtful it's good now, for instance. Although not really at the half way point, Goodwater rim is fun and has abundant free camping.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Halfway.

There is a little town you might have heard of about halfway between Jackson WY and Moab. Its called Park City. I have heard there are some bike trails there. Maybe some of the locals will chime in.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sorry, I'll be looking to ride April 29th. I realize this limits me, but I'm always hopeful. I've ridden vernal before and that is my back up, but I wanted to check and see if there was any other spots I should check out.
    I'm debating on hitting up price as well, but I was hoping to shorten the drive home.
    I'm assuming park city is out, but would love to check out the storied riding there.
    Bummer about fifth water ridge, it looked to be what I'm looking for after a weekend bachelor party in Moab....

mtbr member
    Yeah, I don't think there will be much open in Park City at that time. Most of the campgrounds in the mountains don't open until May anyway, hence my suggestion for the desert like Goodwater. Vernal is a fun place to ride too, and there is free camping by the Jazz Chrome Molly and McCoy flats trailheads. It's a little out of the way for you on your way to Jackson, but then again, so is Goodwater.

Someone else might have more suggestions, but that's all I got.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Actually vernal is on the non-interstate route, more so if I get lured to fruita... I've ridden and enjoyed vernal and wouldn't be to bothered by going again. Thought ask if there was something else I might be missing. Wouldn't mind some trees on the ride, but I'm not to picky...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So the good water looks pretty good and more likely to be rideable than most trails around slc. How long does it take a fit avid rider, i know this varies, but i'll accept broad time frames.

mtbr member
    Goodwater, now I'm no racer by ANY stretch and I like to stop and take pics, maybe shoot a little video. I've done it a couple times, full singletrack loop and the road return I come in at 4 hours. The whole ride done that way is 21 miles. I had some friends hit it on the way to Moab a couple of weeks ago and conditions then were good and they really enjoyed it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Good water might be the winner. I'm tempted to hit fruita and vernal, but the high alpine rides around vernal don't sound ready yet. Anybody got any expeirence with these?

mtbr member
    Call Troy at Altitude cycle in Vernal. He'll know the trail conditions. FWIW I did (tried) to do a couple of the Alpine trails near Vernal the end of May a few years back and got several inches of snow where I was camped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Vernal is not ready yet, even McCoy is still waterlogged. McCoy might be ready in 4-5 days if the rain/snow stays away, maybe Corkscrew too. It will be a while longer for Flume/Red Fleet/Gorge trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I guess I'll stay down south... Thanks for the beta and advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    One more option has come up-Corner canyon. Is it ready? I'd be stopping on the way home from good water. thanx

mtbr member
    Trail Conditions | Corner Canyon Trails

As of now, it's all good.

Your Best Friend
    CC was perfect today and there isn't any rain in the forecast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    Yeah, I don't think there will be much open in Park City at that time.
    Not much, but what will be open will be worth it considering Park City is exactly half way between Moab and Jackson. Check out the Glenwild area trails, the flying dog section might even be open if we're lucky.

mtbr member
    Just rode the Bonneville Shoreline Trail from the Hogle Zoo up to and then down Bobsled. It was all dry.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Agreed. Its a little out of the way but Goodwater makes sense for what you are trying to do. You won't find a lot of options in and around Salt Lake City right now, aside from short bike-park types of rides. Antelope Island, although overrated as a biking destination, offers camping and some trails. Its a unique experience to ride on the island, especially if there are buffaloes around, but that's about all I can say for it.