mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Looking for a bike for sale

Hey guys new to this forum and was wondering if you guys have seen any good mountain bikes for sale for xc(craigslist,LBS etc.). I plan on doing some racing out here (st george, utah) and wanted to get a decent mountain bike. Right now im using a target bike(yes a target bike as in the store). Im 5'5'' and weigh 130 lbs, the bike im looking for has to have full suspension. Im 17 years old and have around 1500 to spend. If you guys see anything please let me know thanks Im near st george utah also so please let me know if you see anything

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    thank you!!! Totally forgot about ksl! although i still have no idea what to look for haha
    Last edited by tony477g; 07-17-2012 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

If I were you.

I would decide if you want a Full suspension bike or a Hardtail.

For the Money you are going to get better lighter parts if you go with a hardtail. I would look for a one a few years old that was around 2500 new should go around 1500 in good shape. Something like this.

Bicycles: Mountain Bikes Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

Or maybe.

Bicycles: Mountain Bikes Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

BTW I am assuming we are talking about xc racing. Pop into Red Rock Bicycle in town and let them know that you are looking for a used race bike. Top notch shop and they support lots of local racers and might know someone with a steed to sell.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ive never really ridden a hardtail, the bikes i have are the target one which has full suspension, and a trek mountain something which has no suspension. I really like having full suspension, does the rear make a lot of difference? I was looking at red rock bicycle. They had http://redrockbicycle.com/product/12...er-29-130647-1. they had this for sale. I might go over there and ask about the used race bikes. I also saw they sponsor races? What kind are they if you know?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Red Rock Races

Red Rock sponsers everthing from XC Mtn bike races to Road Tours.

Here are a few I can think of.

1. Red Rock Rampage XC race and its cousin Red Rock Rampage 2 both part the Icup series. Intermountain Cup Racing Series -

2. True Grit 50/100? and the 6/ 24 hours of frog hollow. www.gropromotions.com

3. Spring and Fall Centuries. Spin geeks or something .com.

Yes rear suspension makes a big difference. I would suggest a hardtail for the following reasons.
    1. Price. At your price point you can buy a new hardtail like a Carve.
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    Thats a great bike and you would have a lifetime warranty on the frame which you will not have with a used bike. You will need to have about $2500 to get a similar spec FS bike.
    2. Maintanance. FS bikes have another shock to maintain, and pivots, linkages etc to break. Bottom line is it just cost more to keep a FS bike running.
    3. Technique. Riding a hardatil forces you to pick better lines and shift your weight to ride smoothly. You will become a better rider faster with a hardtail.

PM me

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So having the full suspension makes everything easier and less harsh, but raises the bike and maintenance price. Like with mine that i have now having no suspension, I have to stand up when ever i get into really rough terrain(rocks,washed out terrain etc.) Is that what you mean by shifting your weight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Do an ebay search completed search to see what bikes sell for. It will let u see what bikes have sold for what recently?

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yeah.

The Rumblefish would be a nice bike but I would avoid Highland cycles like an STD. With so many great shops in the SLC who are staffed by experts support cycling, racing, and give back to community why you would support a shop staffed by teenagers, that gives nothing to the community is beyond me. There is a reason they are selling 2 year old bikes on KSL and not to thier customers.

That spider would be an amazing bike for SG, and its my size

By shifting your weight I was taking mostly about the rear of the bike. As you come into an obsticle on a hardtail because there is no suspension to soften the blow riders tend to stand and lift the rear wheel. This makes the ride much smoother and faster. On a FS bike its easier just to smash into smaller things and let the suspension soak it it, but this method is slower.

PM me

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Whats SG? The other thing is nobody sells smalls! According to a page i saw small is for riders up to 5'6'' medium is for riders at 5'7'' to I dont know. Being really short at 5'5'' Nobody really sells small bikes used. Should i just go medium? Any other shops in SLC that would have better deals? At times we go up there to just hang around and visit. You said lift the bike up when trying to soak up a obstacle, do you mean kind of like a bunny hop with out pulling up on the handlebars? Just using the legs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks ill be checking that site as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    how about something like this, only problem i see is the picture is fake and they dont have whether or not its a small frame Bicycles: Mountain Bikes Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey guys im back, ive been looking for a bike for a while now and still havent found one. I have a question now though. My friends all do downhill and i will more than likely be with them when i ride. I want to do xc races but would i be able to use a xc bike on downhill trails? Or should i buy a downhill bike and use it for xc races? Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The guys at Over The Edge in Hurricane have a used small knolly endorphin. That would be a nice "everything" bike. Not a superlight racebike for sure, but a fun bike. I have no idea how much he wants but you could ask.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Keep in mind, cross country race bikes and true downhill bikes are VERY far apart in geometry, weight, components... basically everything. You can get an AM type bike that can do both but its not going to be exceptional at either of them. Compromises.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    your probably right, maybe ill see how i like downhill first. Just rent one of the bikes at brianhead and see if downhill is something i want to invest my time with. I dont think this will be the last time I go downhill