Thread: Local Advice

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Local Advice

Im hoping for some local advice on this situation I am having.

I have the chance to either take a trip this weekend to Durango, CO, camp with some riding buds for about 2 days and ride some trails. Or I can head up to Eden, Utah at the end of the month (July) and ride trails up there. Unfortunately due to available vacation time with work I cant do both. I've been around Durango a few times and done some hiking in the area so I have an idea of what the trails are like. However, I have no idea what Eden is like, I've been to Salt Lake once and that's the only time I've crossed into the state.

The Eden trip would be for a family reunion so its unlikely I'll have anyone to ride with but I usually ride alone down here in AZ so its not a huge deal, it just makes me a little more cautious on super technical stuff.

Does anyone have any advice? Are Eden trails something not to be missed and save Durango for the next riding trip out there?

If it matters trail preference is all over the place, I do a bit of recreational XC racing 35 to 40mi distances. But I have a couple AM bikes that I take on some bigger more techy rocky stuff that gets the blood pumpin. any advice would be great.

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Some trails for the Ogden area, which you would be east of, scroll to bottom for area map: Ogden Area Trails

Snowbasin Ski Resort has some very good trails to ride and is close by.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Go ride with your bros in Durango. I have heard there is some epic downhill there and some good shuttle rides. Eden is a beautiful mountain town but super boring. There is some good riding there for sure, but the family reunion will kill the stoke and your riding will be limited. Do not mix family obligations and riding. You can not serve to masters.

oootard
    As much as I love Utah riding, I also vote for Durango over Eden. Of course, I have never been to Durango to ride, so I am a bit biased. However, riding with your mates is almost always better than riding alone contemporaneous with a family reunion.

Eden will always be here. A trip to Durango with your buddies may not be. Durango. Plus, if things continue the way they have over the last several years in Utah, the longer you wait to ride here, the better the riding will be here once you make the trip.

Bike Snob
    Family reunion vs. bro weekend..... if your family doesn't crucify you for it go to Durango.

My first MTB ride ever was in Durango, we rode La Hermosa. I was hooked after one ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nothing wrong with Eden if you live in Utah. However, as a destination, go to Durango. I have ridden there so anything that involves the Colorado trail is a great ride. Also, I would suggest an early morning ride at Phil's World in Cortez, Co which is only 45 miles west of Durango. Damn, I wish I was going to Durango this weekend!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yep, I live in SLC and have ridden in Durango. With limited options in Eden, I would suggest Durango. The CT should be prime right now and I've heard Phil's World is some of the best trail riding anywhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I second the morning ride at Phil's. It just might be the sweetest, smoothest, flowiest cross country single track you will ever have the pleasure to ride. Phil's World used to be my after-work ride. My new after-work ride is on an IMBA rated epic trail and it pales in comparison to Phil's for cross country goodness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the input. Durango it is. I was already leaning that way but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.

thanks