mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Little Creek camping

What's the camping like in the Little Creek area near the trails? Have camped a bunch up on the Goose, but haven't ridden LC yet. Also, how's the road getting in there?
    OVER the rocks, not around

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The road in is actually much better than the road to gooseberry. I don't know that camping is allowed at all on Little Creek. I'll let somebody who knows better to chime in on that one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks a bunch, appreciate any intel
    OVER the rocks, not around

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The road getting in there is in better shape than the rode into Gooseberry, but there are a few more turns. There's plenty of camping up near the trail head. It's a little less used than Gooseberry, and no pit toilets, so plan accordingly.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Little creek is an area of "Critical Evironmental Concern"..... Do not ride anything that is dirt when its wet...stick to the inside slickrock loops if it's wet.

Use only well established camp sites (don't clear brush or trees to make new sites), pack out your poop paper and as always be very careful with fire.

Little Creek has the potential to be a full-on epic trail system and its a great riding area.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Potential? That place is EPIC!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Potential? That place is EPIC!!
    LC has the potential for 75+ miles of awesome singletrack trail. The mesa is about five times larger than the developed area on Gooseberry and has incredible untapped potential.

The biggest challenge with Little Creek is the insistance of riders to use the trail system when it is muddy and wet. Unfortunately Little Creek is easy to get to even when the trails are unridable...Goose on the other hand is hard to get to but nearly always ridable. So.... people go to LC and rally the sh#t out of wet and muddy trails doing a lot of damage in the process.

Perfect Example; Two years ago ### Tours from Moab did a press launch for a major manufacturer here in SW Utah. It had been very wet in teh weeks prior to the event and in spite of very strong pleas and warnings from locals about the fragile nature of the non-slickrock portions of the trails on Little Creek as well as suggsetions for alternate locations, ### Tours and the press launch guests rode the place like it was a monster truck mud fest and totally FUBAR'd several sections of trail. Some of the damage is still evident and will be for years to come inspite of many, many hours of trail repair work.

Any way, we'll see how the BLM allows the area to evolve over the next few years...it could be the stuff dreams are made of.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How about the old Rockville Bench area? I thought I read online that the "authorities" were hammering out a deal to get it open again. I thought they were hoping to have it open by the bike festival but that obviously didn't happen.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    How about the old Rockville Bench area? I thought I read online that the "authorities" were hammering out a deal to get it open again. I thought they were hoping to have it open by the bike festival but that obviously didn't happen.
    Don't know where that came from...

We are working to get the Rockville Bench opened as a legal trail system but with locals and visitors continuing to ride the the trail is spite of it's CLOSED status and "Stevie Wonder could read it" signage..it's a tough sell. Many are local business owners and residents of the Rockvill and Springdale area who could care less about anyone but themselves and continue to ride the trail which torpeedo's our efforts.

Me...."we'll be good stewards and follow the rules if you open it, I promise"

Them..."WTF are you talking about.... the MTB community wont even honor the rules now, explain to us why should we take your word that you will in the future?"

Me..."ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, you have a very valid point"

Result is that the MTB community is its own worst enemy and the amount of stupidity and selfisheness is and will continue to be our undoing in many situations.

If the Bench doesn't get opened I will publish the names (business and personal) and phone numbers, addresses, emails..etc..of the folks I know personally who chose to disregard the closed staus of the trail and in turn jepordize our work to (re)open it. I think it only appropriate that the MTB community be able to "thank" them and make educated choices to spend our dollars at businesses which support our efforts. I think they need to be held accountable for their actions.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    ^^^