mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Is this legal..? Hunter's in Dry creek, S.L.C.

Yesterday on my way down on dry creek I encounter a Hunter and his two kiddos, all wearing orange vest and camouflage clothes (kind of a oxymoron if you ask me), the father was carrying a rifle and also a pistol on a holster all in the open..

Is this legal..

Coming from San Francisco I was so shock..

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Very legal, it was the opening weekend of the hunt so you may see many of these, There are usually signs posted telling folks to wear orange during this time of year. Deer are color blind so to them the whole camo and orange vest thing dosn't really make a difference.
    Bear Down

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rustywin View Post
    Very legal, it was the opening weekend of the hunt so you may see many of these, There are usually signs posted telling folks to wear orange during this time of year. Deer are color blind so to them the whole camo and orange vest thing dosn't really make a difference.
    Well I guess I'm glad I just got a new orange helmet..

I just hope the Deer have weapons to get back at them..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A couple years ago I was riding at Solitude in the late afternoon, just doing the normal loop up there and I saw two idiots with a bow-and-arrow setup actually trying to hunt on the resort property. Right in the middle of a run.

I stopped, asked them what the hell they were doing trying to hunt within a public resort. One showed me some ridiculous hand-written "permission slip" written on the back of a business card, as his excuse.

I hauled down to the parking lot, got the officer that always hangs out down there late in the day, and he nailed them both. It was fun. To each his own, I'm cool with that, but don't go shooting a bow&arrow or anything for that matter, in the middle of a resort.

I'm surprised its ok at Dry Creek though too...thats not too far out of bounds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Utah is an open carry state. You can carry a pistol on a holster into Walmart if you want. You only need a permit if you are going to conceal the weapon.

mtbr member
    Beat me to it ... you could carry the rifle and pistol down main street and "technically" be legal (you might get a public disturbance citation or something like that, though).

The question is only whether they were legal to shoot where they were. Some of the hunting areas do seem too close to the city IMO. It is a little startling to see the hunters walking on the Crest trail - makes me wish I had opted for that bright orange helmet!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Welcome to UT Patineto! As stated above, firearms laws are way different here than the communist state of CA. Be grateful that the 2nd amendment is respected here!

To monkeyhands: Really? Couldn't say the same thing without being exactly what you called patineto?

Carry on! (literally! )

frog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Well I guess I'm glad I just got a new orange helmet..

I just hope the Deer have weapons to get back at them..
    Unless it's very bright orange you may want an orange vest or shirt.

So I assume you are a vegetarian?

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    The reason you saw them in Dry Creek is because they were probably using it to access the hunting grounds further up in the hills. If you see someone all dressed up in hunting attire and armed to the teeth, chances are they're good folks...it's the ones trying to conceal their weapons that worry me.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_adk View Post
    If you see someone all dressed up in hunting attire and armed to the teeth, chances are they're good folks...it's the ones trying to conceal their weapons that worry me.

So you are worried about the law abiding citizen who has passed a background check and is choosing to carry a concealed weapon for protection not being "good folks"? Please explain.

I am heartened by both groups, because they are exercising their constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

frog

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Don't know if they were they same folks but someone was successful . . . saw them carrying out a pretty good sized buck about 2PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Yesterday on my way down on dry creek I encounter a Hunter and his two kiddos, all wearing orange vest and camouflage clothes (kind of a oxymoron if you ask me), the father was carrying a rifle and also a pistol on a holster all in the open..

Is this legal..

Coming from San Francisco I was so shock..

Last sentence explains it all.

First....Deer are essentially red-green color blind like some humans. Their color vision is limited to the short (blue) and middle (green) wavelength colors so the cant see the blaze orange...but humans can.

Second, not all States treat the Second Amendment like the plague.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I don't mind the guns and the hunting, I would just ask that they actually eat the animal they killed but that's not up to me. I just don't want to get shot. I plan on riding in American Fork Canyon this weekend, will I need orange?? I do love that we live and love our second amendment rights here in this great state. and I say welcome to anyone who comes here even from California and hope we can treat everyone with respect and understanding, the hunters could complain about fast movement and loud noise from bikers if they wanted and I do think they out number us in the hills. So share the trails and make the best of it.