mtbr member
    Mar 2008

LBS Ogden area suggestions?

Hello everyone!

This forum has given me a wealth of information, but I'm still a little directionless.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best LBS around the Ogden area. I went to Bingham Cycle in Sunset, but the salesperson was horrible.

I am looking to purchase a mountain bike but have no idea what I am looking for brand wise, etc. I know I want a hardtail and I want to spend around $500 give or take. I'm looking for an LBS that can really break everything down for me.

I plan on going to Canyon Sports today. But other than that have nothing planned. Any suggestions on local LBS shops?

Thanks!!

over researcher
    You might try The Bike Shoppe at the corner of 40th and Washington. I haven't been there yet, but plan to soon.

The Sentinel

Only if you like attitude...

The Bike Shoppe = attitude, roadie mentality, their way or the highway (better since the son took over from the dad, but...)
    Binghams = it's a business to them, no soul left...not like the old days
    Skyline Cyclery = Funky, small business vibe, but selection is not so good...getting better, though
    Canyon Sports = bikes are a sideline to Ogden store, not really a bike shop

I usually patronize Skyline. Of course, this is just my opinion...your experience may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by royta
    You might try The Bike Shoppe at the corner of 40th and Washington. I haven't been there yet, but plan to soon.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

In defense of Bingham’s

Go back. They will take care of you. I think it does depend who you get there (which I admit, is too bad). My advice, try another sales associate (maybe go for a non-high school kid). I know they are huge, but there is still soul at Bingham!

There are not many shops that have treated me as good as them.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I second mtnbiker62's comment. I'd go anywhere but The Bike Shoppe. Bingham's is alright. You may also try [I]Biker's Edge[I], although they are a bit snobish. There aren't really any outstanding shops in the area. Good luck!

Mtn Biker Machinist

Skyline all the way

I would go to Skyline hands down. Matt is great to work with, really willing to answer questions and give advice. His selection was way better the last time I went in there, plus the vibe in the shop is super relaxed, and friendly.

I go to Binghams sometimes, but they are a bit more about their business than the customer it seems. That said, once you frequent the shop more, and get to know the staff, they usually warm up to you and are pretty cool. I think Binghams prices a little steep as well, but that is my opinion.

frog

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    The last time that I went to Skyline, I went in to purchase a bottle of chain cleaner and some White Lightening. Some teenage kid told me that the stuff I was looking for was crap, and that I should stop using it immediately. He handed me a bottle of Pro Lube and said it would not only lube my chain, but self-clean it also. He went on to tell me how the owner has a bazillion years in the industry, and basically he knows more than I do. I don't like being told what to buy. I walked right out and have never been back since. I found what I needed at Canyon Sports.

chukarhntr1
    Nov 2007
    Has anyone been to Loveland's in Bringham City lately? It's been a while since I've been there, but he was usually pretty helpful. He is in a new building since I was there last, so I don't know if things have changed or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Skyline Cycle, hands down. They are the best mechanics in town (isn't that what a bike shop should be?) and I was just in this week and the selection is very good. Matt is very knowledgeable and very fair. He wants to sell you the bike which fits you and continues to service it afterward. If it sounds like I work their I don't. But Matt is a friend. He also organizes a lot of bike rides around Ogden and does alot of charity work for kids who don't have bikes. He has 2 bike shop dogs (what's a bike shop without a dog?).
    The others: Canyon, OK, but there mechanic was injured and I don't know if he's back yet, decent sales staff. Bingham, no, Bike Shoppe, hell no. Unless you are an elitist @$$h0le, don't even bother. You leave feeling poor and unworthy.
    America is all about speed, hot nasty badass speed.
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

Peace through superior firepower
    -The Bodizypha

The Sentinel

Nice guy, but...

...the nice doesn't extend to pricing. He's the most expensive bike shop I've been to in Utah. I usually don't buy small parts from shops, but occasionally I'll find myself out of tubes or lube or something like that, and check in with Lovelands (I'm in Tremonton, so he's closest). Without exception, it's always cheaper to drive to Logan or Ogden. Gas + parts in Logan < parts at Lovelands. He has a captive audience there in Brigham, so he takes advantage with his pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by chukarhntr1
    Has anyone been to Loveland's in Bringham City lately? It's been a while since I've been there, but he was usually pretty helpful. He is in a new building since I was there last, so I don't know if things have changed or not.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Another vote for Skyline hands down! I love that place. They are def. about the customer and getting them what they want/need and not making a huge profit. Matt talked my girlfriend into a bike that was less expensive than what she was looking at originally because it would have been too much bike and not fit her as well. They have been nothing but good to me there, have good pricing, fast turn arounds on tune ups, and their selection is getting better and better. They carry Kona, Giant, Raliegh, Felt and they can order Transitions now too. Plus the dogs. How can you not love dogs?

Binghams-I used to frequent these guys a lot back in the day but most people are correct when they say they have changed and are more about the sale. It's hit or miss. I don't like Specialized but that's what they carry.

The Bike Shoppe- Yeah, stuck up mentality and if you ask a question, they always have to "find" someone to answer it.

Bikers Edge- Amazing store and selection. The worst salesman I've ever encountered anywhere! This one sales guy talked to me for 30 minutes about how awesome he is and what he does on his bike and what he rides before even asking what kind of bike I was interested in. Then he was pushing Cannondale, which I told him I wasn't really interested in, and then told me I should buy a Specialized because they are the best. They don't even carry Specialized!
    More props to Skyline...the best bike to them is the one YOU want and the one that fits YOU!

Canyon Sports-Yeah, the bike shop part is an afterthought. Might change when they open their newer location but I doubt it.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Skyline!

I prefer Skyline Cycle. There's a very pleasant and friendly feel (dogs welcome), with informative employees that try hard to meet your needs.

Someone mentioned a punk kid that told him what kind of lube to use. Yea there's an 18 year old that works there that might already have formed a strong opinion for his bosses lube preference, but don't let that turn you away. BTW, that kid is a incredible rider and goes by the name Beve.

Keep in mind, this is the new shop in town and its growing very quickly due to the owners desire to go the extra mile for his customers. They've brought in many new bikes and expanded the shop and inventory greatly.

They also have a new club that will include weekly rides (even on Sundays)and have begun planning trail workdays, and other fun events. To my knowledge none of the other shops in town support our habits like Skyline and that's another reason why I'm proud to support them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie
    The last time that I went to Skyline, I went in to purchase a bottle of chain cleaner and some White Lightening. Some teenage kid told me that the stuff I was looking for was crap, and that I should stop using it immediately. He handed me a bottle of Pro Lube and said it would not only lube my chain, but self-clean it also. He went on to tell me how the owner has a bazillion years in the industry, and basically he knows more than I do. I don't like being told what to buy. I walked right out and have never been back since. I found what I needed at Canyon Sports.
    You hit it, he's a teenage kid that looks up to and believes in the owner's opinion. I don't like to be told what to buy either.

I wonder how I came off towards customers at at my first job.
    Last edited by Oneleggedbandit; 03-09-2008 at 02:33 PM.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Do you work for Skyline Oneleggedbandit? I have nothing against Skyline. In fact, I went there because others have recommended the shop. With that being said, I can have anything I want shipped to my door in two days. I tried to keep some of my business local, but the customer service left a little to be desired.

over researcher
    Well tell us wookie, what lube was it you were looking for? Maybe it was crap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Do you work for Skyline Oneleggedbandit? I have nothing against Skyline. In fact, I went there because others have recommended the shop. With that being said, I can have anything I want shipped to my door in two days. I tried to keep some of my business local, but the customer service left a little to be desired.
    My son went to school with that teenage kid. I've bought my family bikes there and have been very happy with the shop. I don't work there.

Solum Volamus

Biker's Edge

I've gotten good service at "Biker's Edge" in Kaysville when buying parts and ordering specific items. Never bought a bike or had service done there, so can't speak to that. It is convenient for me since I live about 1/2 mile away.

Where is Skyline at in Ogden?

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I was using PAM, but I decided to switch over to CRISCO. How you doing Roy. I hope you are doing well in Utah. I picked up a growler at Roosters tonight. We'll have to go riding when the trails clear! I am building a SS and am looking forward to trying it out.

KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was completely ignored at Biker's Edge. It's not convenient for me to go there anyway. I've personally received good service at The Bike Shoppe, but it is more roadie inspired. Being new to the area I've hit all the shops and felt most at home at Skyline. They answered a question I had, rung up my order and we just talked about biking for a while. The dogs are great, the atmosphere is how I would like my own shop to be. An they sell Giant.

over researcher
    I was using PAM, but I decided to switch over to CRISCO. How you doing Roy. I hope you are doing well in Utah. I picked up a growler at Roosters tonight. We'll have to go riding when the trails clear! I am building a SS and am looking forward to trying it out.

No wonder they treated you badly. Those two products are complete garbage. Don't you know that WD-40 is the stuff to be using? What exactly is the "growler" at Roosters. I've heard of taking a growler, but never picking one up. Bistro 258 across the street is pretty good too.

I'd like to build up my old Mongoose IBOC Pro-SX into a SS, but I know it will cost more than just a chain, chainring, cog, and spacer kit. I'll need a saddle and at least a flat handlebar. The Answer Hyperlite that is on there has a small kink in it. I'd rather get a shorter stem and a riser bar. I originally built that frame up in true XC form. 135mm stem with the bars about 1.5" below the saddle. Is yours a 26", and if so, what ratio are you going to run? I was thinking of going 34-20, or maybe even 34-21. I don't feel like blowing out my knees. I'm going 34 because I'll be using my old '97 Race Face Turbine LP 110/74 crankset. I'm not sure how soon I'll be putting it together, as we're trying to live within our means (shocking idea I know), and bike parts aren't in the mix right now.

I did a quick job yesterday in North Ogden, and drove home through North Ogden Canyon. Yeah, it will be a while before we ride Skyline Trail. Looking forward to riding together though.