Dr. Pepper drinker

Kudos to the SLC PD, bike bait sting!

Good to see they are making an effort to put a dent in the ridiculous amount of bike thefts in SLC:

BIKE THEFT: Salt Lake City police use bait bicycles to catch suspects in the act - KSTU
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Takin'er easy
    Watch part 2 of that series. The "bait bike" was not locked up. If someone cuts a lock to take a bike, it is bike theft. If someone walks away with an unlocked bike...well...discuss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Are you saying if a bike is not locked it is okay to walk/ride off with it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    No, but if it's unlocked and just sitting there, it'll attract more of the "opportunistic" thief than the planning it requires to have a lock cutter, etc./dismantle a bike rack lock - so it's not really targeting the right kind of thief.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Regardless, glad to see that at least something is being done.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Yeah, I gotta admit that was one of my first thoughts Joss. I'd much rather see them put a high end bike on a roof or trunk rack in a downtown parking lot (or maybe staging a car with a wallet or laptop or something in plain site at the trailheads). I think that would help to maybe take out the more 'sophisicated' criminal networks. In the end good to see them making some sort of effort though.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This is entrapment plain and simple. I would be willing to bet that most of these people that they 'catch' have never stolen a bike before. It's likely that most of them will not hire a lawyer, and agree to a plea deal with the prosecutor and pay the $100 fine. Easy money for the state. Meanwhile real bike thieves are at large.

What they should be doing is locking up a bike worth $1000 or more. Then when a real bike thief cuts the lock it is grand theft felony and the perpetrator can be taken off the street. They could even put a tracking device on the bike to lead them to break up bike theft rings. But would be too effective and doesn't make enough money.
    Last edited by monkeyhands; 11-17-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyhands View Post
    This is entrapment plain and simple. What these cops are doing is despicable. I would be willing to bet that most of these people that they 'catch' have never stolen a bike before. It's likely that most of them will not hire a lawyer, and agree to a plea deal with the prosecutor and pay the $100 fine. Easy money for the state. Meanwhile real bike thieves are at large.
    It's more like "enticement" to commit crime. But nobody is making these guys take the bikes.

There are two kinds of people in the world, people who will break the law if given the right opportunity and people that won't. If you are the former, you probably have a problem with this.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You have a pretty simplistic view of things.

Does it ever occur to you that it is not the proper role of the state to encourage it's citizenry to commit crimes? You can disagree philosophically with the practice of entrapment without being pro-criminal.

I've had my bike stolen before. I know what that feels like. I hate bike thieves.
    I do not think it is 'ok' for anyone to just walk off with an unlocked bike. I have a problem with the methods being used and their efficacy at stopping crime. My problem is that this is doing nothing to stop real bike thieves
    I'm all for bike stings, but make it a real bike sting, one that takes real criminals off the street and not just an easy way for the state or county to generate additional revenue.
    Last edited by monkeyhands; 11-17-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyhands View Post
    You have a pretty simplistic view of things.

Does it ever occur to you that it is not the proper role of the state to encourage it's citizenry to commit crimes? You can disagree philosophically with the practice of entrapment without being pro-criminal.
    You didn't like my black and white- right and wrong analogy? It really is that simple, you cannot entrap a truly honest man.

It occurs to me every day that the gov, staties and federales are involved in things that I do not believe is their roll.

That being said, I think the Po Po, just like the majority of gov't employees that I deal with are after the low hanging fruit. Or in other words, the smallest amount of work for what could be perceived by the public has the biggest reward. Who do you think called the media to join in their farcical sting operation.

I also believe that serious bike thieves, the guys you would like to see caught, are also criminals of convenience. They probably are not out trolling for sweet rides unlocked on the top of your Subaru but if they see your Trek Madone unfettered in the parking lot at the Valley Fair Mall, while you ran in to get something at Hot Topic. They are going to take advantage of the situation.

P.S. every time I said "you," I did not mean you personally, lest you think I am targeting you unfairly.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Im glad to see the Police doing something like this. I still check ebay, ksl, and craiglist daily for my stolen Sworks Enduro.

Regardless if these bikes are locked up or not, hopefully someday they will catch a guy that can get us a few of our stolen bikes back. I really don't think these 'bike thief rings' are serious career criminals, why still bikes when there are far far more lucrative things to make money off of with breaking and entering and different crimes like that.

The biggest mistake is that the police put their plans all over the f*cking news.