adamant
    Sep 2006

Kids on Slickrock

After riding Slickrock several times on the trailer bike (starting at age 5), my 8 y/o was fired up to ride it on her own bike.

Be prepared (food & water), pick the perfect weather day, keep it fun, and bring a riding buddy. Ride time was around 2 hrs. Trail time was 4 hrs (lots of playing in Ice Box canyon).

The kids rode it again 2 weeks later...so i guess they really liked it.

24 inch wheels will open up many trail options

let's see other kid pics riding Moab...!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kids on Slickrock-jane_-021.jpg  

Kids on Slickrock-jane_-022.jpg  

Kids on Slickrock-jane_-025.jpg  

Kids on Slickrock-jane_-044.jpg  

Kids on Slickrock-jane_-016.jpg  

mtbr member
    yea that is very cool
    especially their peace signs
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Freakin Awesome!! I hope my little one gets the bug.

mtbr member
    Awesome pics. Congrats on getting your kid out there and having her loving it!

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a kid-related question. I haven't ridden Slickrock yet, since we did other stuff the only time I've been to Moab, so I don't have a reference of my own to draw from. My 5 year old is pretty darn good on his little Redline Proline Pitboss BMX bike. No air, or anything, but he is pretty confident and strong on the little hills at the park and our neighborhood in Salt Lake City. Is any/all of the trail doable on a BMX-type bike without gears? The beauty of the the Redline bike is it is WAY lighter than the crummy 16" wheel "Walmart" bike he initially had as a hand-me-down (15lbs vs 25lbs) so it is much easier for him to climb with it compared to his old bike. He is not quite tall enough to go up to a geared 20" bike.

Along with that, can I ride it with my 2yo in a Chariot trailer? Problem is that he will want to ride it on his own 12" bike (no training wheels already; turns 3 this summer while we will be there in Moab)! Bigger problem is that he is crazy enough to try but I think he will leave his skin all over the place!

mtbr member
    I'd go to Klondike Bluffs instead. It is a more stead uphill on the way out and a steady downhill back. Very little of the steep up and downs the Slickrock trail has.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice! My 7yo son has the same green Hot Rock and loves it. I'm in the process of adding a new Shimano 7 gear megarange freewheel to support his climbs.

A couple of images. One from a recent mud ride (yes, that's my red '95 Yo Eddy Fat Chance). And another from an epic 10 miler with his buddy, including a few miles of illegal single track before the late rains hit NorCal.

adamant
    Sep 2006
    albertdc--

The Slickrock practice loop is great b/c its short but has characteristics of the big loop. Lack of low gearing will be an issue on a 1 speed. When my daughter was 4 and on 16 inch wheels, we did the practice loop. I ran the entire loop & pushed her up the climbs (while she pedaled). Not having hand brakes was also an issue.

The Moab Brand trails (Bar M, Bar O) are a great place to start, many kids.

Slickrock has lots of narrow, exposed sections....ride it yourself & i think you'll nix the trailer idea. Trailer-bike: yes!

muphtron--

yes on the megarange gearing! i put a long cage (XTR) rear derailleur to handle the 32t top cog. The lower gearing really helps & she's able to climb a lot more stuff...which encourages her to try more.

sweet pics!

mtbr member
    Adamant and Scott - thanks for the suggestions. Will look into those!