mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Kanab area advice

Spending 8 days in the Kanab area in a couple of weeks.If you could do only 1 or 2 rides what would they be. We're driving in from Vegas and planned Kanab as our base so we could try to squeeze Zion,Bryce and the north rim of the Grand Canyon in our allotted time. I prefer fast and flowy if possible.If there is anything like a Klondike Bluffs or a Dead Horse Point kind of ride, that would be cool also,could bring the family with for that ride.
    So many good hikes to do.What would be your top five for some forty somethings and a 13yr. old that are in good shape ? This is our second trip to Utah,so we sort of have an idea of the do's and dont's while there.
    Gotta love Utah..place is freakin amazing !

I have read the sticky and Utahmountainbiking.com info as well as other research info. just wanted a locals advice

Thank You !

mtbr member
    Used to live there. For biking, your are right by Gooseberry and Little Creek Mesas. You are close to Thunder Mountain and if you are going to the North Rim there's stuff but only if you are going later due to snowmelt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks..,still snow around down there in the first week of May ?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 73cuda View Post
    thanks..,still snow around down there in the first week of May ?
    Thunder Mountain area, probably. Gooseberry and Little Creek are clear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Hiking advise and a Bit Extra

Iím equal into the biking and hiking when it comes to this area. Since there are no hiking comments yet Iíll toss out a few. Here is a link to hiking guide and photo web site that that has super information and some of the best photography on Zion Park, Kolob and everything between. Joe's Guide to Zion National Park - Welcome!
    My recommendations are:
    ē Angels Landing: It has some sections that will require focus and strong nerves, but the views are worth it.
    ē Hidden Canyon: go up as far as you can then take a short jaunt into the lower portions of the Observation Point lower canyon trail. Both get you into some narrower canyon areas (but not classic slot canyons) with water carved swirling rocks and pools. There will be some scrambling up dry falls in Hidden Canyon which are fun and a little challenging at times.

You might also do a half day canyoneering and rappelling trip into Lambís Knoll with a guide service out of Springdale. What a great experience if you have never done it. There are two or three 40í-60í rappels and some skinny slot canyon stuff. It is chilly to cold in the slots so a couple extras layers would be appropriate.
    Zion Adventures: Zion Park Tours, Rentals & Info for Zions Park

There is enough stuff here to keep you entertained and wishing you had more time to spend.
    St.George Utah Golf | Red Rock Golf Trail - Utah Courses and Hotels

We are travelling down from Idaho in May to get our riding and hiking fix. Great place for outdoor recreation.
    Last edited by Wheelbender; 04-10-2013 at 12:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks very much ! Joe's guide website, good info --thanks We are doing the guide service thing,like you recommended,had done that in Moab and is a great time ! Angels Landing looks like a must do !

mtbr member
    Note Zion, Gooseberry etc. are a good 45 min. (?) drive from Kanab. If I were you, I would plan a mtbike AM / hike PM kinda day (or vice versa). Consider the Guacamole trail as well, which is the closest bike trail to Zion. Similar to Gooseberry, they both have technical sections. Also depends on your access vehicle, neither is serious 4WD but definitely rugged.

If you are up for it the family could do a 2 hour or so ride in the morning, big lunch, then Angel's Landing hike which is steep and a bit scary but not that long. If you want some longer, Observation Point was a great hike from the canyon also. I haven't done any of the hiking from the top of Zion.
    My brain's living room is my stomach.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy View Post
    Note Zion, Gooseberry etc. are a good 45 min. (?) drive from Kanab. If I were you, I would plan a mtbike AM / hike PM kinda day (or vice versa). Consider the Guacamole trail as well, which is the closest bike trail to Zion. Similar to Gooseberry, they both have technical sections. Also depends on your access vehicle, neither is serious 4WD but definitely rugged.

If you are up for it the family could do a 2 hour or so ride in the morning, big lunch, then Angel's Landing hike which is steep and a bit scary but not that long. If you want some longer, Observation Point was a great hike from the canyon also. I haven't done any of the hiking from the top of Zion.
    Ditto to this suggestion....and I would like to add a similar day of activity in the Bryce area. Go ride the Thunder Mountain trail, lunch and then hike into Bryce Canyon. Hope the legs are in good shape.