BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Just got back from Moab

Just got back from two day in moab. Its a two hour drive for me. It was perfect. Hi's around 70 lo's in the 30's. Nobody was biking. Bartlett wash the first day. Best SlickRock around. Porcupine rim the second. Alittle snowy on top with some mud but 90% dry. First time on P-rim. Nice but definitly not my favorite ride. If you shuttle it your not doing the hole ride. Shuttle maybe saves you an hour and a half. Ill be back in a couple of weeks
    BSG

Every Ride A Gift
    Awesome - I'm headed there for the first time next week. Can't wait.

mtbr member

let me know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by bwhip
    Awesome - I'm headed there for the first time next week. Can't wait.
    I'm heading there in a couple of weeks. I'd be interested in hearing how your trip goes.

Occidental Tourist
    Just got back yesterday from 4 days. We rode Slickrock, Proc Rim and Amassa Back and hit some SWEET technical singletrack back down from Amassa on the Colorado river side. I wasn't a big fan of the slickrock - novel yes but just not my cup of tea. Proc rim had a littel mud and snow on the climb but no biggie. BSG you doing the Soul Ride again this year?
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

...master of none
    Quote Originally Posted by crash test dummy
    Just got back yesterday from 4 days. We rode Slickrock, Proc Rim and Amassa Back and hit some SWEET technical singletrack back down from Amassa on the Colorado river side.
    Hey Crash, what singletrack was that? You're not talking about Jacob's Ladder, are you? Not rideable for most of us...

bock

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by bock
    Hey Crash, what singletrack was that? You're not talking about Jacob's Ladder, are you? Not rideable for most of us...

bock
    Not sure what it is called - it drops off Amassa near where the pipe goes across the trail
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Occidental Tourist

bock
    Here is a pic of part of the trail
    Attached Images Attached Images

...master of none
    Here is a pic of part of the trail
    Interesting...definitely not Jacob's Ladder.

If the following graphic shows up, would you be able to point out where on the map this trail was?

From your description, it sounds like the you take the spur trail north near the pipe (which I've done before), head to the overlook, and then it goes down from there?

bock
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bock; 03-18-2004 at 12:46 PM. Reason: attachment worked

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good job!

I was there just last weekend. It was tons of fun. It's a great time to go--70's and sunny during the day. Absolutely perfect, Rode Porcupine Rim on the first day--it was pretty clear, just a bit of mud in places near the highest point. The first dirt climb HURT me though--first ride of the year, haha.

The second day we did a new trail, Sovereign. It was up north of Moab, near Klondike Bluffs. The trail was a lot like the ones in Fruita--mostly singletrack that's a little technical, but very manageable. We did it as a loop, which made it just under 20 miles. It was a lot of fun, and I'd recommend it, especially now. Later in the year, that trail looks like it'd be obscenely hot.

One thing though--I still couldn't believe how much my butt hurt after the first day. Sooo painful.

Occidental Tourist
    Interesting...definitely not Jacob's Ladder.

If the following graphic shows up, would you be able to point out where on the map this trail was?

From your description, it sounds like the you take the spur trail north near the pipe (which I've done before), head to the overlook, and then it goes down from there?

bock
    I'm a bit confused by the map as I thought Amassa was out and back and this looks like a loop. If you were to ride the trail backwards from the parking lot after the cattle guard (not the parking area right by the trail head but before), to get to the single track you would drop down off the parking lot into a Tamarsk forest along the river and essentially follow the river and the trial would climb up...does that help?

...master of none
    I'm a bit confused by the map as I thought Amassa was out and back and this looks like a loop. If you were to ride the trail backwards from the parking lot after the cattle guard (not the parking area right by the trail head but before), to get to the single track you would drop down off the parking lot into a Tamarsk forest along the river and essentially follow the river and the trial would climb up...does that help?
    Sorry about that. The loop shown on the map is the Tour of Canyonlands race course. It goes counterclockwise up Hurrah Pass, through Jackson's Hole, and then climbs up Jacob's Ladder (marked on the map). At the top of Jacob's Ladder you join the Amasa Back trail descent.

So Amasa Back goes right-to-left along the top of the map. Yes, it's an out and back. Thanks for your description. I think I can find that trail now!

bock

Occidental Tourist
    Sorry about that. The loop shown on the map is the Tour of Canyonlands race course. It goes counterclockwise up Hurrah Pass, through Jackson's Hole, and then climbs up Jacob's Ladder (marked on the map). At the top of Jacob's Ladder you join the Amasa Back trail descent.

So Amasa Back goes right-to-left along the top of the map. Yes, it's an out and back. Thanks for your description. I think I can find that trail now!

bock
    that makes sense. If I had to guess I would say the trail is either the dotted line that comes off after the word "Jeep' or right about where the 36 line crosses the trail. good luck and have fun. You can always aska t Rim Cyclery - they gave us directions

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Soul ride

Crash,
    Im not sure about the soul ride this fall. If all goes well Ill be there. Going to Fruita on Monday. Cant wait.
    BSG