Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebuilder View Post
    I know that this is a bike forum. Biking comes first here. With that in mind, St. George has so much to offer ...though it does get hot in the summer. I prefer St. George over Moab any day of the week for Southern Utah riding.

For many people (I know you already know this) There is one very compelling argument that makes every inversion day up north worth living through.
    [IMG]pow shot[/IMG]

Nothing beats a good powder turn...

For that reason alone, I could never leave. But if I did, St. George is very compelling. I am fortunate to have access to a home and work that take me there often.
    I have spent many a fine afternoon turning planks in the Wasatch. Nice picture BTW, but after 3 knee surgeries my ortho has made it very clear that I can only participate in two sports for the rest of my life; swimming and cycling.

StG is not for everybody, that is one of it's attractions. But for me and my current self styled life it is Nirvana. (the place, not the band)

mtbr member
    The January inversions suck, to be sure. The high pressure ridge sets in, no new snow in the mountains so the skiing gets bad, and bad air in the valley. Pretty much makes January my least favorite month of the year.

Fortunately it doesn't affect me much -- I can still ride and exercise outside without feeling the effects of it -- but it does make things a little dreary. But it usually gets better once February rolls in.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    There will be no criticism of Utah. Your first warning is a suggestion to go shred pow at least 45 or 50 days... there's nothing sadder than a one-seasonal Utard. Your second warning will be a prompt to move to Park City and the mandate that you Nordic Ski every day (a punishment perhaps worse than the inversion).

There will be no third warning, just a blindfolded ride to the Colorado border.

This is all said out of love, of course. Hang in there, it never lasts too long

JMH

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    How much elevation gain would you need to get up on top of the inversion layer? Ya know, like living up some canyon outside the city.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

@trailgrinder
    Hebert, park city, Huntsville etc all escape the typical inversions. Key is to go a little higher and to the back side of the wasatch, downfall is that your farther away from the city and its a little longer of a winter if your not loving the snow.

@trailgrinder
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    Is your name Walt too?
    Being that you separated your comments by a paragraph that would indicate that your question to Walt was complete. Hence a reply regarding your next statement and If your going to be that touchy about a reply why not just send a PM if its so private?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    When industry doesn't meet their standards they get told, "Aww shucks, promise to try harder next time."
    I'm curious what you are basing this on? Is this an assumption because it's convienient?

I do not know all of the major pollutors compliance status', but nobody in this thread mentioned that these companies were in violation, and being in the environmental buisness of industry (with an air permit) I can tell you that the DAQ is the most stringent (and difficult to work with) of the UDEQ departments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Escape the inversion.

You actually don't need to get up very high to escape the worst of the inversion. The far east bench of slc is above 5000 feet and that gets you out of the worst of it. I climbed the hills over there a couple days ago when it was warm and got up to 5400 feet. Was looking down over the smog filled valley where I live. The Far east Bench, Traverse Mtn area in draper, and even the upper aves and upper capitol hill area get you out of the worst of it. With the exception of traverse mtn there areas are only 5-10 min from town. The problem is people caught onto this fact 40 years ago and all the houses in those areas are probably 750K plus. Not an option for me maybe you can afford it.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Science!

There are a couple of professors at the U who are doing research my wife is interested in so she is doing a postdoc here. That's why we came out, but it's unlikely that she's going to be a career academic so if the pollution bothers us too much we'll just bail and she'll do something else.

I can work from anywhere, obviously.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    Hey Walt, I am interested to know what made you move to SLC. You have stated that you can live anywhere so why there?

I grew up in SLC and really enjoyed it until I found So. Utah. Now I can't understand why anybody puts up with the weather and inversion.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post

I can work from anywhere, obviously.

-Walt
    Swing by the shop - I have a mask you can use that filters 99% of the PM2.5 and works much better than the resipro.

This seems to be a bad year (worse than most I can remember since moving here in '99).

But I do remember the first year I moved here, thinking how awful it was. Then we went for a sat morning road ride up parleys into pw and around then home. Before we passed the mountian dell exit, the sun shone bright and we stripped 2-3 layers and had a lovely ride.

Go to the mountains. And hope for the next storm to clear the air...

g

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gregclimbs View Post
    Swing by the shop - I have a mask you can use that filters 99% of the PM2.5 and works much better than the resipro.

This seems to be a bad year (worse than most I can remember since moving here in '99).

But I do remember the first year I moved here, thinking how awful it was. Then we went for a sat morning road ride up parleys into pw and around then home. Before we passed the mountian dell exit, the sun shone bright and we stripped 2-3 layers and had a lovely ride.

Go to the mountains. And hope for the next storm to clear the air...

g
    Please say more about the mask and where to get them.

@trailgrinder
    im hoping a storm comes in soon! getting sick of this crap this year, seems like the inversions are longer than I remember and the storms are missing us!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    Please say more about the mask and where to get them.
    These are the masks that the usoc shave to athletes for the Beijing Olympics.

I will be stocking them (have an order in already) at my shop: Beehive Bicycles.

We're at 15th & 15th in SLC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I live in a suburb north of Denver. When I go to my gym in the early morning, the view west is likely to be crystal clear. Then when I have business in Denver and I drive down I-25 I see the downtown swimming in a murky blue haze. Only very occasionally is there a strong enough wind to blow out the rush hour smog so blue murk is pretty normal, inversion or not.

That said, the trails are west of Denver so they're likely not in that murk or you get above the murk soon enough with all the climbing we do around here.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gregclimbs View Post
    These are the masks that the usoc shave to athletes for the Beijing Olympics.

I will be stocking them (have an order in already) at my shop: Beehive Bicycles.

We're at 15th & 15th in SLC.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2rideUtah View Post
    I think the bigget elephant in the room isn't the cars but the refineries on Beck Street. Untill they really clean up the industrial portions not driving your car isn't going to make an impact. He'll, one of the nations worst polluters Magcorp is out by Stansbury, You also have Kennecott out there too.
    That's definitely it - politics hold back what really needs to happen here. Cars don't help, but the heavy industry here is what's screwing it up for everyone.

C'mon, Walt. The inversion is bad, but there are concerned folks out there and could sure use all the help. If you turn your back and move away, the inversion, smog and ignorance will still exist here. You could be a big help in making some necessary changes happen. This is from this morning's news feed:

Salt Lake City Mayor Announces 2013 Agenda | KUER

Salt Lake's made some good progress over the last few years. Sounds like more good things are on the way, but there is definitely more work to do.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

I'm dubious

Even if everyone in the Valley rode their bike instead of driving, we'd still be doing a lot of combustion for a lot of reasons - and the population (which I am contributing to, obviously) keeps growing - it seems to me that the SLC area is just not a good place for a large number of humans to live unless they're running on fusion power or something.

But we'll just bail to HI or something for 6 weeks every winter and that'll take care of it, I think.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    C'mon, Walt. The inversion is bad, but there are concerned folks out there and could sure use all the help. If you turn your back and move away, the inversion, smog and ignorance will still exist here. You could be a big help in making some necessary changes happen. This is from this morning's news feed:

Salt Lake City Mayor Announces 2013 Agenda | KUER

Salt Lake's made some good progress over the last few years. Sounds like more good things are on the way, but there is definitely more work to do.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    Thanks
    They came in stock over the weekend @YRG

Thanks for stopping in the other day.

g

Owner Epic Biking
    I think they need to pass no idling laws. It drives me crazy when someone will park in one of the parking spots in front of my bike store and leave their car idling for 30-60 minutes while they shop at the grocery store.
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbeagle View Post
    I think they need to pass no idling laws. It drives me crazy when someone will park in one of the parking spots in front of my bike store and leave their car idling for 30-60 minutes while they shop at the grocery store.
    Their car is not the problem, it's the other cars.

Owner Epic Biking
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    Their car is not the problem, it's the other cars.
    Exactly! I got into a Facebook argument with a former neighbor who in essence told me that. It is OK for her to let her car idle because she works from home and doesn't drive as much as everyone else does. IDIOT! She is now blocked on my Facebook :-)
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2