Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Oh, I've GOT bike money

I Found Killer Tech Riding in Park City Area

Details to follow...
    Last edited by JACKL; 07-03-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I'm staying at the Silver Star resort on a family vacation. I've managed to rent an FS 29er, and have been riding in between family activities. I've made a few trips out from the resort. I've ridden Armstrong, Spiro, the Mid-mountain trail, and some others in that area that I can't remember.

The trails are quite nice, but I've found zero tech so far. It's not even in the same league as the tech I ride in the DALLAS TX area. The climbs are grueling, and the scenery is wonderful, but so far I'm just riding dirt trails with a few rocks thrown in here and there.

I've got one more chance to ride - tomorrow morning. I have a mini van and can probably drive an hour out of town if need be. I'm looking for rock-crawling. Maybe get the crap scared out of me. Something harder than the tech in Dallas. No one I've talked to around here seems to know.

Thanks in advance.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Limited options

-There's lots of rocky tech on offshoots of the BST in SLC. Downsides are temperature, and the fact that you will have to ride hour-long 20% grade climbs. Or more likely walk them.
    -Big mountain area (Great Western Trail and variants) will have some pretty rocky and technical stuff. Not Moab by any means but most people can scare themselves.

Park City is basically not super rocky or technical in general. Enjoy it for what it is.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I'm staying at the Silver Star resort on a family vacation. I've managed to rent an FS 29er, and have been riding in between family activities. I've made a few trips out from the resort. I've ridden Armstrong, Spiro, the Mid-mountain trail, and some others in that area that I can't remember.

The trails are quite nice, but I've found zero tech so far. It's not even in the same league as the tech I ride in the DALLAS TX area. The climbs are grueling, and the scenery is wonderful, but so far I'm just riding dirt trails with a few rocks thrown in here and there.

I've got one more chance to ride - tomorrow morning. I have a mini van and can probably drive an hour out of town if need be. I'm looking for rock-crawling. Maybe get the crap scared out of me. Something harder than the tech in Dallas. No one I've talked to around here seems to know.

Thanks in advance.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    the Glenwild network has a considerable amount of rock, mainly due to the lack of tree coverage. Sweeny's switchbacks has some pretty gnarly rock gardens. Trails in and around Deer Valley have some decent rocky sections.

Trying to think of where to find "rock-crawling" in PC and I'm having trouble thinking of places. Most of the trails in PC are buffed out single track, if not blown out thanks to the extreme dry again this year. Its not Moab you know.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    PC is not for slow tech. My advice is to go faster, its plenty exciting.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I just wanted to know what's out there and make sure I wasn't missing something. I think I'm just going to stay on the mountain around here and try to do an epic on Mid-Mountain.

mtbr member
    Yep, you've got it. Enjoy PC for what it is. I enjoy rocky techy riding but I can find plenty to enjoy in PC as well. Some of the smooth flowy descents off the crest at speed are some of the most fun you can have on a mountain bike.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    an epic on Mid-Mountain.
    FYI - I would recommend trails near and next to mid mountain over the actual mid mountain trail. They're usually more interesting, in better shape, and less crowded. Though I confess it is very hard to do a ride in Park City without riding mid mountain for at least a few miles.

mtbr member
    Rock crawling - Get in the car and drive to Moab or St. George. Ignore the fact that it's 105+ degrees..

Ok, seriously now. As miller542 stated, stay off Midmountain if you can. It's the equivalent of the Interstate. Fast and smooth and great as a connector.

Here's one - not much rock, but you're in the trees, so you get root tech:
    From Midmountain - up Corvair, turn right on T&G. T&G to T&G2 to Black Forest and down to Mid mountain. Cross mid mountain and hit Link. Right on Link, Left on Johns 99. Hook up with Johns at the Town Lift. Johns into Sweeney's switchbacks.

mtbr member
    Go up Sweeney's and John's. Not sure what you mean by rock crawling or if you're more interested in tech climbing or descending. The trails you've ridden are generally the most buff in the PC area. PM me if you want to ride this evening.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 07-03-2013 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by charcist View Post

Here's one -From Midmountain - up Corvair, turn right on T&G. T&G to T&G2 to Black Forest and down to Mid mountain. Cross mid mountain and hit Link. Right on Link, Left on Johns 99. Hook up with Johns at the Town Lift. Johns into Sweeney's switchbacks.
    great route!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I rode the lifts at Deer Valley a few weeks ago, for the first time in about 10 years. Some of the black-diamond trails qualified as technical, with drops and rocks, but not the type of rock crawling you would get down south. If you're only here for a day, and don't want to spend a lot of that time grinding uphill, it's worth consideration.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I just wanted to know what's out there and make sure I wasn't missing something. I think I'm just going to stay on the mountain around here and try to do an epic on Mid-Mountain.
    For whatever reason, I rode John's for the first time a few weeks ago. Do it. You can grab it right from Mid Mountain. It's a million constant turns, tight and full of big tree roots. Non stop. Pretty fun, and challenging to push yourself as fast as you can go. But unfortunately, it's not super long. Check Skidmap.com to see.

mtbr member
    Rock crawling - Get in the car and drive to Moab or St. George. Ignore the fact that it's 105+ degrees..

Ok, seriously now. As miller542 stated, stay off Midmountain if you can. It's the equivalent of the Interstate. Fast and smooth and great as a connector.

Here's one - not much rock, but you're in the trees, so you get root tech:
    From Midmountain - up Corvair, turn right on T&G. T&G to T&G2 to Black Forest and down to Mid mountain. Cross mid mountain and hit Link. Right on Link, Left on Johns 99. Hook up with Johns at the Town Lift. Johns into Sweeney's switchbacks.
    OK, I clearly need to get a new map or find more of the off-map trail in PC because I haven't heard of Corvair, T&G 1 or 2, Link, or Black Forest.

John's 99 and Sweeney's are cool with some tight rooty switchbacks.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Details to follow...
    Fire swamp
    Thieves
    Peak to Empire
    Ncs
    Pointy rocks
    Various skids by sweenies
    Ski team (kinda)

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    OK, I clearly need to get a new map or find more of the off-map trail in PC because I haven't heard of Corvair, T&G 1 or 2, Link, or Black Forest.

Black Forrest is an old original, ties in with MM n empire area

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    Black Forrest is an old original, ties in with MM n empire area
    yeah, I've been poking around on utahmountainbiking.com since I read this route suggestion. Wow, I'd be lost in five minutes trying to follow that or TG without a guide or a gps file. I had no idea there were so many "other" trails up there.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Found my tech for sure!! Got dropped off at the top of tg. Rode that, johns 99, moose something, gravedigger, then ended up in a crazyass downhill park. Then dumped to a maintenance road and now I'm on a trail marked with a post that has the word "trail" carved on it. So the adventure of getting back to the silver star contines!

mtbr member
    Daly Canyon area of Park City. Check it out. Don't forget to explore the old mining buildings. Most are worth a serious look.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Made it back. Watching the concert at deer valley with a refreshing beverage. Life is good!!

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Nice!

So did you scare yourself?

Walt

Made it back. Watching the concert at deer valley with a refreshing beverage. Life is good!!
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Glad it worked out. If you're up there again, hit "Twist and Shout". It's short, but you'd probably like it.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 07-04-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    So did you scare yourself?

Walt
    Yes, I actually did. When the rear wheel threatened to come over, my original post came back to haunt me. I'll post videos tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post

Screw the paper map. That's for tourists and LLDRs.

Skidmap.com. Love it, learn it.

mtbr member
    Screw the paper map. That's for tourists and LLDRs.

Skidmap.com. Love it, learn it.
    What do you do when you need to check the map while on the trail?
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast