Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,187

    I Found Killer Tech Riding in Park City Area

    Details to follow...
    Last edited by JACKL; 07-03-2013 at 03:56 PM.

  2. #2
    Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,187
    I'm staying at the Silver Star resort on a family vacation. I've managed to rent an FS 29er, and have been riding in between family activities. I've made a few trips out from the resort. I've ridden Armstrong, Spiro, the Mid-mountain trail, and some others in that area that I can't remember.

    The trails are quite nice, but I've found zero tech so far. It's not even in the same league as the tech I ride in the DALLAS TX area. The climbs are grueling, and the scenery is wonderful, but so far I'm just riding dirt trails with a few rocks thrown in here and there.

    I've got one more chance to ride - tomorrow morning. I have a mini van and can probably drive an hour out of town if need be. I'm looking for rock-crawling. Maybe get the crap scared out of me. Something harder than the tech in Dallas. No one I've talked to around here seems to know.

    Thanks in advance.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,811

    Limited options

    -There's lots of rocky tech on offshoots of the BST in SLC. Downsides are temperature, and the fact that you will have to ride hour-long 20% grade climbs. Or more likely walk them.
    -Big mountain area (Great Western Trail and variants) will have some pretty rocky and technical stuff. Not Moab by any means but most people can scare themselves.

    Park City is basically not super rocky or technical in general. Enjoy it for what it is.

    Walt

    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I'm staying at the Silver Star resort on a family vacation. I've managed to rent an FS 29er, and have been riding in between family activities. I've made a few trips out from the resort. I've ridden Armstrong, Spiro, the Mid-mountain trail, and some others in that area that I can't remember.

    The trails are quite nice, but I've found zero tech so far. It's not even in the same league as the tech I ride in the DALLAS TX area. The climbs are grueling, and the scenery is wonderful, but so far I'm just riding dirt trails with a few rocks thrown in here and there.

    I've got one more chance to ride - tomorrow morning. I have a mini van and can probably drive an hour out of town if need be. I'm looking for rock-crawling. Maybe get the crap scared out of me. Something harder than the tech in Dallas. No one I've talked to around here seems to know.

    Thanks in advance.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.com/blog/
    instagram.com/waltworks/

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    136
    the Glenwild network has a considerable amount of rock, mainly due to the lack of tree coverage. Sweeny's switchbacks has some pretty gnarly rock gardens. Trails in and around Deer Valley have some decent rocky sections.

    Trying to think of where to find "rock-crawling" in PC and I'm having trouble thinking of places. Most of the trails in PC are buffed out single track, if not blown out thanks to the extreme dry again this year. Its not Moab you know.

  5. #5
    formerly shabadu
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    951
    PC is not for slow tech. My advice is to go faster, its plenty exciting.

  6. #6
    Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,187
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I just wanted to know what's out there and make sure I wasn't missing something. I think I'm just going to stay on the mountain around here and try to do an epic on Mid-Mountain.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,246
    Yep, you've got it. Enjoy PC for what it is. I enjoy rocky techy riding but I can find plenty to enjoy in PC as well. Some of the smooth flowy descents off the crest at speed are some of the most fun you can have on a mountain bike.

    Enjoy.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    an epic on Mid-Mountain.
    FYI - I would recommend trails near and next to mid mountain over the actual mid mountain trail. They're usually more interesting, in better shape, and less crowded. Though I confess it is very hard to do a ride in Park City without riding mid mountain for at least a few miles.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charcist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    62
    Rock crawling - Get in the car and drive to Moab or St. George. Ignore the fact that it's 105+ degrees..

    Ok, seriously now. As miller542 stated, stay off Midmountain if you can. It's the equivalent of the Interstate. Fast and smooth and great as a connector.

    Here's one - not much rock, but you're in the trees, so you get root tech:
    From Midmountain - up Corvair, turn right on T&G. T&G to T&G2 to Black Forest and down to Mid mountain. Cross mid mountain and hit Link. Right on Link, Left on Johns 99. Hook up with Johns at the Town Lift. Johns into Sweeney's switchbacks.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,601
    Go up Sweeney's and John's. Not sure what you mean by rock crawling or if you're more interested in tech climbing or descending. The trails you've ridden are generally the most buff in the PC area. PM me if you want to ride this evening.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 07-03-2013 at 11:36 AM.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by charcist View Post

    Here's one -From Midmountain - up Corvair, turn right on T&G. T&G to T&G2 to Black Forest and down to Mid mountain. Cross mid mountain and hit Link. Right on Link, Left on Johns 99. Hook up with Johns at the Town Lift. Johns into Sweeney's switchbacks.
    great route!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    240
    I rode the lifts at Deer Valley a few weeks ago, for the first time in about 10 years. Some of the black-diamond trails qualified as technical, with drops and rocks, but not the type of rock crawling you would get down south. If you're only here for a day, and don't want to spend a lot of that time grinding uphill, it's worth consideration.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I just wanted to know what's out there and make sure I wasn't missing something. I think I'm just going to stay on the mountain around here and try to do an epic on Mid-Mountain.
    For whatever reason, I rode John's for the first time a few weeks ago. Do it. You can grab it right from Mid Mountain. It's a million constant turns, tight and full of big tree roots. Non stop. Pretty fun, and challenging to push yourself as fast as you can go. But unfortunately, it's not super long. Check Skidmap.com to see.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,246
    Quote Originally Posted by charcist View Post
    Rock crawling - Get in the car and drive to Moab or St. George. Ignore the fact that it's 105+ degrees..

    Ok, seriously now. As miller542 stated, stay off Midmountain if you can. It's the equivalent of the Interstate. Fast and smooth and great as a connector.

    Here's one - not much rock, but you're in the trees, so you get root tech:
    From Midmountain - up Corvair, turn right on T&G. T&G to T&G2 to Black Forest and down to Mid mountain. Cross mid mountain and hit Link. Right on Link, Left on Johns 99. Hook up with Johns at the Town Lift. Johns into Sweeney's switchbacks.
    OK, I clearly need to get a new map or find more of the off-map trail in PC because I haven't heard of Corvair, T&G 1 or 2, Link, or Black Forest.

    John's 99 and Sweeney's are cool with some tight rooty switchbacks.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  15. #15
    YRG
    YRG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Details to follow...
    Fire swamp
    Thieves
    Peak to Empire
    Ncs
    Pointy rocks
    Various skids by sweenies
    Ski team (kinda)

  16. #16
    YRG
    YRG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    OK, I clearly need to get a new map or find more of the off-map trail in PC because I haven't heard of Corvair, T&G 1 or 2, Link, or Black Forest.

    John's 99 and Sweeney's are cool with some tight rooty switchbacks.
    Black Forrest is an old original, ties in with MM n empire area

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,246
    Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    Black Forrest is an old original, ties in with MM n empire area
    yeah, I've been poking around on utahmountainbiking.com since I read this route suggestion. Wow, I'd be lost in five minutes trying to follow that or TG without a guide or a gps file. I had no idea there were so many "other" trails up there.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  18. #18
    Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,187
    Found my tech for sure!! Got dropped off at the top of tg. Rode that, johns 99, moose something, gravedigger, then ended up in a crazyass downhill park. Then dumped to a maintenance road and now I'm on a trail marked with a post that has the word "trail" carved on it. So the adventure of getting back to the silver star contines!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: redriderbb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    280
    Daly Canyon area of Park City. Check it out. Don't forget to explore the old mining buildings. Most are worth a serious look.

  20. #20
    Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,187
    Made it back. Watching the concert at deer valley with a refreshing beverage. Life is good!!

  21. #21
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,811

    Nice!

    So did you scare yourself?

    Walt

    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Made it back. Watching the concert at deer valley with a refreshing beverage. Life is good!!
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.com/blog/
    instagram.com/waltworks/

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,601
    Glad it worked out. If you're up there again, hit "Twist and Shout". It's short, but you'd probably like it.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 07-04-2013 at 08:51 AM.

  23. #23
    Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    So did you scare yourself?

    Walt
    Yes, I actually did. When the rear wheel threatened to come over, my original post came back to haunt me. I'll post videos tonight.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charcist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    OK, I clearly need to get a new map or find more of the off-map trail in PC because I haven't heard of Corvair, T&G 1 or 2, Link, or Black Forest.

    John's 99 and Sweeney's are cool with some tight rooty switchbacks.
    Screw the paper map. That's for tourists and LLDRs.

    Skidmap.com. Love it, learn it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: phirebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by charcist View Post
    Screw the paper map. That's for tourists and LLDRs.

    Skidmap.com. Love it, learn it.
    What do you do when you need to check the map while on the trail?
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charcist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by phirebug View Post
    What do you do when you need to check the map while on the trail?
    I was using a little hyperbole. The map put out by Mountain Trails every year of the PC area is great. I always carry the MTF paper map and have the trails from skidmap.com loaded on my GPS.

  27. #27
    Natty Dread
    Reputation: Flat Pedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    The Princess Di Trail claims to be tech. Is that a fair assessment? Worth the paved ride in and ride back? Princess Di Trail

  28. #28
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,811
    Bwahaha!

    No.

    God, no. You have been terribly misinformed.

    Princess Di is completely non-technical with the *exception* of some tight switchbacks that can be hard if you're not used to switchbacks. You could quite safely and easily ride it on a cyclocross bike. It also features an almost complete lack of flow or fun...

    -Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.com/blog/
    instagram.com/waltworks/

  29. #29
    Natty Dread
    Reputation: Flat Pedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    Thanks for the advice. Doesn't sound like it's worth my time at all. Now that I think about it Solitude's trails are fairly technical in comparison to the buff nature of PC. Yeah I know most of you roll your eyes at that network but if you route it well you can do about 8.5 miles and 1700ft of climbing with minimal fire road other than that lame raptor road which with it's loose tread can be technical. Serenity has some nice little punchy climbs with roots and rocks and Kruzer has some rutty rocky stuff as well. The great thing about these trails is when it's 100F over here in SLC it can be in the low 80s around 630pm at Solitude.

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Bwahaha!

    No.

    God, no. You have been terribly misinformed.

    Princess Di is completely non-technical with the *exception* of some tight switchbacks that can be hard if you're not used to switchbacks. You could quite safely and easily ride it on a cyclocross bike. It also features an almost complete lack of flow or fun...

    -Walt

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    Yeah I know most of you roll your eyes at that network but if you route it well you can do about 8.5 miles and 1700ft of climbing with minimal fire road other than that lame raptor road which with it's loose tread can be technical.
    I'm speechless...

  31. #31
    OMZ
    OMZ is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    95
    NCS reminds me of Dallas, try that one.

  32. #32
    Natty Dread
    Reputation: Flat Pedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    MSU alum --oh boy...we should go for a ride before you start with Tgr attitude. Take me to your 30 mile 6000ft of climbing mostly technical tread in Northern Utah. Ill ride it. I just need to know where it's at. Hike a bike is fine. I'm free this weekend.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    977
    @Flat Pedals - I'm with you regarding Solitude for the most part. It's not skillfully technical, but for whatever reason, that loop is a grind. I try to hit it once a month or so - enjoy getting up out of the heat and riding with no one around for once. It always burns me out.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    MSU alum --oh boy...we should go for a ride before you start with Tgr attitude. Take me to your 30 mile 6000ft of climbing mostly technical tread in Northern Utah. Ill ride it. I just need to know where it's at. Hike a bike is fine. I'm free this weekend.
    I'm too old to have attitude! It's more of a, "boy, if you think that's good, you should come over here", kind of thing. A typical climb to the ridge from the Wasatch Back is 3000 feet in 9 miles. If you are unfamiliar with the riding over here, I'll be available tomorrow morning for a ride I think you'd appreciate, if you're interested. PM me. BTW, I just recalculated (math in public) so 1700 feet of climbing on an 8.5 mile LOOP is really steeper than I thought at first. Still, the offer stands.

  35. #35
    Natty Dread
    Reputation: Flat Pedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    8.5mi and 1700ft is nothing special but also nothing to dismiss. That Solitude loop is punchy in spots and I think that's why it feels like more than it's stats. With regard to technical, in my opinion, some of the rocky rooty spots on those punchy climbs on Serenity and some of the loose, rutted stuff on Kruzer I find technical. Not Moab, Pisghah or Sedona technical but it is in comparison to PC and other buffed out zones here in the Wasatch. My suggestion is to take Serenity to the road then turn right on Queen Bess climb up then drop down to the Honeycomb return, climb back up Queen Bess, Raptor road and then down Kruzer. That's my route for the 8.5mi/1700ft I spend most of my time riding in the San Francisco Bay at Skeggs Point and that has 8-12 mile loops with 2500-3200 ft of climbing.

    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I'm too old to have attitude! It's more of a, "boy, if you think that's good, you should come over here", kind of thing. A typical climb to the ridge from the Wasatch Back is 3000 feet in 9 miles. If you are unfamiliar with the riding over here, I'll be available tomorrow morning for a ride I think you'd appreciate, if you're interested. PM me. BTW, I just recalculated (math in public) so 1700 feet of climbing on an 8.5 mile LOOP is really steeper than I thought at first. Still, the offer stands.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    8.5mi and 1700ft is nothing special but also nothing to dismiss. That Solitude loop is punchy in spots and I think that's why it feels like more than it's stats. With regard to technical, in my opinion, some of the rocky rooty spots on those punchy climbs on Serenity and some of the loose, rutted stuff on Kruzer I find technical. Not Moab, Pisghah or Sedona technical but it is in comparison to PC and other buffed out zones here in the Wasatch. My suggestion is to take Serenity to the road then turn right on Queen Bess climb up then drop down to the Honeycomb return, climb back up Queen Bess, Raptor road and then down Kruzer. That's my route for the 8.5mi/1700ft I spend most of my time riding in the San Francisco Bay at Skeggs Point and that has 8-12 mile loops with 2500-3200 ft of climbing.
    I think I'll give it a try. I've been up here in Park City for 22 years and I've never ridden Solitude.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    243
    Solitude is good fun. Definitely more techy than most of the PC rides. It's a nice change of pace. I normally do Queen Bess up, up the dirt road to Kruzer, take that to the bottom, then Serenity back up to Queen Bess and out Honeycomb return to the parking lot. 1700 vert sounds about right, but does feel like more.

  38. #38
    Natty Dread
    Reputation: Flat Pedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    347
    Okay PC loop with tech sections not mentioned. Start at White Pine Touring and take the rail trail to Skid Row. Climb to intersection of Lost Prospector stay left then go left onto Fox Tail. At the end of Fox Tail rather then pedaling up to the namesake cul de sac go left downhill briefly on the single track and follow it to the right. This trail is unnamed but a great tight techy, probably 1.5 mile connector to Rising Star Lane. It's got a lot of stumps, tight trees, some rocks and punch climbs. From there take Solamere counter clockwise, ascend and descend Snowtop. Then back to Solamere and drop down to the right at the junction with the Deer Crest Trails sign. Go right, then left then left on the pavement. Solamere connector will be on your right. Climb Solamere connector for a decent rocky climb and then take Masonic for a tight, twisty and steep in spots descent and finally finish at Hang Time back to White Pine. 10 miles and 1500ft of climbing but a fair amount of slow going tech. Remember we are talking relative to the Wasatch and PC not the entire technical riding catalog of North America.

    Also, I rode Solitude again Tuesday night and will say without hesitation now it's one of the better tech loops in the Wasatch though you need to follow one of the above suggested routes otherwise you'll miss a section. Apart from the tech nature of the ride; Queen Bess is a great flowy descent if ridden from Raptor Road to Honeycomb return. Great all around ride. Do it before you knock it.

  39. #39
    Swimming thru the Smog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    306
    I rode Iron Canyon/mountain trail or something the other day in park city Was the first right past armstrong headed to the canyons on mid mtn. That had quite a bit of tech to it in the rock gardens mixed in with the moose dodging.

Similar Threads

  1. Salt Lake - Park City area
    By qdawgg in forum Utah
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM
  2. Trail guides-Park City area
    By lpranger467 in forum Utah
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 02:02 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 10:16 AM
  4. Park City area easy stuff?
    By k2rider1964 in forum Utah
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 10:12 AM
  5. Looking for people in Park City area to ride with.
    By summitparkrider in forum Utah
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •