mtbr member

I-Cup St. George Races

This winter blew by and the first two I-Cup races in St. George are right around the corner. I'm new to Utah and looking for some info on the course. I guess the Green Valley Raceway is a new course for everyone this year. Anyone ridden it before and have any advice? Each lap has 750 ft of climbing, but some of the pictures make the course look very rocky with lots of ledges. Full suspension better than hardtail? Thanks.

Red Rock Cactus Hugger | SpinGeeks

Your Best Friend
    Lots of smooth singletrack, fire roads and yes, some ledges. Stick with the HT.

mtbr member
    The Desert Rampage will be the same course as in years past, however the Cactus Hugger will be an all new course.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

NOT Team Sanchez
    You'll be fine on a HT......if you want to get some on the descent, then spring for a fully.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Catus Hugger and Rampage.

I have raced the Rampage probably 6 times and ridden the area countless times. I am not 100% sure exactly where the catus hugger goes, but I think this is one of the few areas in the I-cup where the FS bike has a clear advantage. 750 feet of climbing per lap is like a third of what you will find on the ski resort courses so the extra weight is not as big of a deal. The course is pretty technical. while there are sections of smooth singletrack there are several rocky washes to be climbed and desended and a FS bike is a big advantage in the high speed rocky sections. Im not saying you cannot do well on a hardtail but I think this is one of the few courses where FS offers clear advantage.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me