Formerly of Kent

Hurricane/Virgin/Springdale vs. Moab

Utah Residents,

My lovely bride and I will be heading out to Utah to visit her cousin, who happens to be my best friend, just after Christmas.

We'll be departing from Denver on the 27th or so, and returning on the 10th, and we're trying to figure out how much time to dedicate to various locations en route. Obviously, we'll play it by ear, and modify our plans as the weather dictates, but we're just trying to get a basic framework set before we depart.

In talking to him, it sounds like plenty of places down there should be rideable, but further north and east might be snowbound. We want to do a mix of camping and sleeping at his place. We would like to spend every waking hour outside; we will be equipped and ready for climbing, hiking, snowshoeing, photography, camping ,and obviously mountain biking.

So, if you had two whole weeks to split between SE and SW UT, around the new year, where would you go, and why?

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Moab is really not going to be that warm - it's still up on the CO plateau and gets quite cold in the winter. I'd do the St. George/Hurricane/Vegas thing if I were you. You still will have some chilly days and nights but the sun will be out and you'll certainly be able to climb/ride/hike.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Formerly of Kent
    Walt,

Thanks for the info. That's what we were thinking but just wanted to make sure.

Coming from upstate NY, I'm looking for sunshine and relative comfort.

oootard
    I second Walt. StG/Hurricane and Vegas are great winter MTB destinations.

Paste eater
    That time of year. No questions. STG. THing is, even if it it's cold down there, you can always head to Vegas.

mtbr member
    Agreed. St. George/Hurricane, Las Vegas would be great. Sedona is not far either and would be well worth a couple days side trip.... especially if Gooseberry and other mesas in the Hurricane area get snowed in.

Don't miss Zion for hiking/canyoneering. One of the most amazing places I know of.

Formerly of Kent
    Yeah. My friend/her cousin is a guide there. Spends of a lot of time in the slot canyons.

We'll be riding as well as hiking as much as our bodies can handle. Due to my job, the limit is quite high. My fiancee might skip some of the rides in order to stay fresh for hiking and climbing.

More Chasmism
    Another Moabite here who is 100% in the St. G. / Vegas camp, especially with our recent slate (3 of the last 4) of crappy early winters.

hfly

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry if I am hijacking this tread but I am in the same boat since I am in Vegas in January and was thinking of going to Sedona but perhaps Vegas offers decent riding. What trails would you recommend in Vegas?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sedona is a pretty awesome place to ride and hike. How many riding days will you have?
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Formerly of Kent
    Well, I fly back to upstate NY on January 10th, from Denver.

We're leaving Fort Collins, CO on December 27th or so, route and travel dependent on weather.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post
    Sorry if I am hijacking this tread but I am in the same boat since I am in Vegas in January and was thinking of going to Sedona but perhaps Vegas offers decent riding. What trails would you recommend in Vegas?
    Three or four main riding areas in Vegas could well keep you busy and entertained for a week. I like Bootleg Canyon and Cowboy Trails for more techy fare and Cottonwood/Blue Diamond/ Bears Best for more desert flow.

If you're there longer (or get tired of Vegas), a day or two side trip to Sedona would be well worth it. Check out the three "H" trails---Hangover, Hogs, and Highline---if you like tech, steeps, and some exposure. Lots of other stuff for more XC flow with a bit of tech thrown in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    @Krob - thanks for the input. I would love to go to Sedona but dont know if I can be away from the family that many days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post
    @Krob - thanks for the input. I would love to go to Sedona but dont know if I can be away from the family that many days.
    Understood. If you're working rides in around family time (something I do a lot), there's plenty to keep you busy in Vegas. Post up in the NV forum and you might even find some fellow mtbr members to show you around.

Formerly of Kent
    Are there any group rides on weekdays or weekends around there?

I'm assuming I could always link up with the local shop(s) and see what's what, but if there's a local version of "Wednesday Worlds" or something, that would be good to know.