mtbr member
    May 2013

Hurricane Utah trail recommendation help

I'm going to be arriving in Hurricane tomorrow and will be there for a few days. I'm planning on doing some biking, but will be with my wife and would like to find trails we can both ride. I'd consider myself intermediate in skill level and my wife is a beginner. I really want to go to gooseberry, but it sounds like it will be pretty advanced. Anyone have any good recommendations for some trails in that area that would be beginner friendly and still have some opportunities for me to have some fun? Thanks

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    John,
    Check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs it's a great resource. When my wife started riding, we hit the Bear Claw Poppy trail lots. Start at the top and shuttle down if she doesn't like to climb (it's not bad, just a constant gentle grade), Church Rocks/Prospector is great for intermediate riding. It's got some slick rock sections and she could walk anything that scares her. J.E.M is fun as well. As for Gooseberry, there's all kinds of options there and if this is a one time stop then it's a must!

mtbr member
    If your looking for a real cool trail (not technical at all) do the Anazasi trail and check out all the glyphs.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Hurricane Utah trail recommendation help

Thanks. Definitely going to check out gooseberry. I think those others will be great options for me and the wife. Thx for the help!

mtbr member
    May 2013

Rhale,

Thanks again for the recommendation of Bearclaw. That place was so much fun! Me and my wife road way out and then kinda took our own different routes back in. She seemed to really enjoy the trail back. We also gave JEM a try, which was pretty fun down. I'm gonna give gooseberry a try on my way out of town tomorrow.

We are then going to head to green river for a quick two days. We were planning on visiting arches (hiking) for a day. I'm hoping to get some biking in, but don't know if I will have time to get over to slickrock . Do you or anyone else have any recommendations for something 10-15 minutes from green river.

Thanks again,
    John

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Glad you guys had fun. I'm sure Goose won't disappoint you either! Never hit any trails in the GR area but I'm sure someone will chime in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Green River Options

Hope you receive this before leaving town.

I think you are going to find few trails close to Green River but you might give this option a try. There is a ride around Temple Mountain which just happens to be next to Goblin Valley State Park and some great entry level slot canyon hikes. Several years ago we camped in the area and did two wonderful hikes instead of biking. We hiked up Little Wild Horse Canyon and down Bell Canyon. Great introduction to slot canyons with some very easy down climbs on way out Bell Canyon. If you ride the bikes you might do a hike up and back down Little Wild Horse for the short hike with classic slots, very cool. Round trip is 7 miles and easy to follow the trail. The road is paved all the way to the trailhead.
    Map for Slot Canyons: Little Wild Horse - Bell Canyon - San Rafael Swell
    Slot Canyons of the American Southwest - Little Wild Horse Canyon, San Rafael Swell, Utah
    Map for Temple Mountain Biking: Go to Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs then find San Rafael Area in the Trails portion of web site.
    Drive from Hurricane along Highway 89 then to Scenic Highway 12, then Highway 24 to Hanksville. Fantastic canyons (drive through Zion and Bryce Canyons), slickrock and mountain scenery. Stay in Hanksville which is a short distance to Temple Mountain/goblin Valley area.
    Scenic Highway 12: Scenic Byway 12 Promotional Video - YouTube This drive is so diverse with so many sights and hikes it is our preferred route from Idaho to Hurricane each year.
    We’ll be back next year to hike these canyons: Ding and Dang Canyon - San Rafael Swell, UT 4-28-2012 - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2013

Wheelbender,

Thanks so much for the recommendation. We just finished off a ride at Gooseberry and are heading to green river. We will give one of those canyon hikes a try. Looks perfect, thanks again!