Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hurricane Rim/China Wash/JEM Combo

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kwalam 
#1 ·
Rode Hurricane rim, Goulds and Jem all back to Virgin a couple of weeks ago. Didnt love the the uphill fire road section of Goulds. Was curious about riding Hurricane Rim to the end where the cell towers are then back to China Wash (or even rim from Virgin and up China Wash thus skipping the second half of the Rim) to the second half of Jem for a shorter ride. Either way, would be starting in Virgin for the Rim. Can't seem to get information as to whether China wash out is a viable ride, easy to follow or even what it rides like. Any thoughts ?

#2 ·
We did a loop a couple months back, starting at the cell towers and riding riding h-rim to chinatown wash, heading up that to Jem, down Jem to H-rim and then back. Chinatown wash doesn't see a lot of bike traffic but was all rideable and a pleasant enough climb. Total mileage was about 13 miles. Chinatown is signed hike/horse but there were several other bike tracks on it. Does that help? I mean, not a great climb, but not bad either. It didin't look like that trail sees much traffic.

#4 ·
Hmmm part of the reason I ask is that Goulds wasnt that much fun last time with some riders who were intermediate and being beginning of the season. The first half of Hurricane rim is the fun part anyways. This way we get to do part of Jem too. Just looking for the most fun configuration. I have ridden hurricane rim from the bottom but I like it from Virgin more. The doubletrack fireroad climb at the beginning of Goulds is the part that is the last fun of that trail. If China Wash is half hike a bike...sounds to be more of the same. Hmmmm.

#6 ·
Um...I may be getting old and senile, but I know when we rode it (and my friend was sick besides) it was in no way shape or form half hike a bike for us. It's only about a mile to connect with Jem and gains 200 feet. Maybe it was muddy for ski_adk? I dunno, there might have been a couple tricky wash crossings but I didn't think it was bad. Here's a pic of me on a section that seems typical, the way I remember it.

Plant community Soil Trail Ecoregion Shrubland

Anyway, I say give it a try, it's not that long of a trail that if you end up not liking it, you're only out like 20 minutes or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.