mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hurricane in january - any trails open?

I am perhaps going to Las Vegas in December for some work related stuff and was thinking of hitting some of trails in Hurrinca fx Goosebery Mesa and J.E.M.

Is is possible to ride these trails in January?

Your Best Friend
    Yes but it depends. The temps will be somewhere in the high 40s to low 50s and there could be rain at any time which will make J.E.M unrideable. Gooseberry is much higher elevation and will most likely have snow on it, that and the road may be impassable. With that all said though, there are plenty of other trails in the immediate area that should be good to go. I like going to St. George/Virgin/Hurricane in January/February because I can usually get in some good "warm" singletrack riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I live in Hurricane. January is about the only time I ride the St. George trails. If you decide to ride the Hurricane / Virgin mesas, be prepared to stay the night. You can drive in to the trails in the morning while the ground is frozen, but then it thaws and you CAN NOT drive out. You just have to wait for the ground to freeze again.

"Oh... but I have a 4 wheel drive male enhancement style pickup truck. I will be fine."

No. You will not be fine. You do not understand the level of slop and clay there will be. That road will devour your truck and spit the pieces out in the summer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    But when the road allows, Gooseberry is amazingly beautiful in the snow. It is definitely worth your time if you can get up there. I would call Over The Edge - the bike shop in Hurricane - before you drive up, though. They will be able to tell you the road conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks - any recommendations for what I should ride in St. George in January?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Zen, Barrel Ride, Barrel Roll, Suicidal Tendencies. Maybe Church Rocks and Rhythm and Blues for something short and sweet.

I hope I didn't make it sound like you can't ever ride in Hurricane in January. You just need to find out what the road is like and respect the fact that you WILL get stuck in the wrong conditions.

The road to Little Creek Mesa is a little better in the winter than the road to Goose, but Little Creek is one you don't want to ride without somebody who knows the area - very confusing. I'm sure you could find somebody local to show you around though if you ask here on MTBR.

St. George trails are fun, but Hurricane is where you will find the stuff that you just can't get anywhere else. Isaer ikke i Danmark.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the info

@hurkinite: Do you speak Danish?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    En lille smul.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurkinite View Post
    But when the road allows, Gooseberry is amazingly beautiful in the snow. It is definitely worth your time if you can get up there. I would call Over The Edge - the bike shop in Hurricane - before you drive up, though. They will be able to tell you the road conditions.
    I was just at Goose & Guac last week after getting beta from the boys Over the Edge & I must admit those guys were some of the most most informative, patient and honest folks that I have dealt with. Two thumbs up for them.

And as for the roads, it only takes one trip up both those mesas to realize that any moisture on that clay would be result in peanut butter. Hurkinite you live in a great area!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurkinite View Post
    Zen, Barrel Ride, Barrel Roll, Suicidal Tendencies. Maybe Church Rocks and Rhythm and Blues for something short and sweet.

I hope I didn't make it sound like you can't ever ride in Hurricane in January. You just need to find out what the road is like and respect the fact that you WILL get stuck in the wrong conditions.

The road to Little Creek Mesa is a little better in the winter than the road to Goose, but Little Creek is one you don't want to ride without somebody who knows the area - very confusing. I'm sure you could find somebody local to show you around though if you ask here on MTBR.

St. George trails are fun, but Hurricane is where you will find the stuff that you just can't get anywhere else. Isaer ikke i Danmark.
    Hurkinite speaks true. We got caught in a autumn thunderstorm on gooseberry a couple years ago which was no big deal..... but getting back down off the mesa in my truck (4x4) was scetchy. Wasn't sure we were going to make it.

Sounds like I need to get out to Santa Clara and ride. I didn't know anything about the new Suicidal Tendencies trail (let alone Precipiece and Sidewinder). I'm usually content with Zen and Barrels. More options are always good.