mtbr member

Hurricane free camping?

I know about camping at goose.
    I was wondering if any one has camped in a rv at the hurricane rim trailhead? No fire will be built I roll in stealth mode.
    I cant remember if their is a walmart in St. George because that works for me as well.
    thanks
    Last edited by Mr. D; 11-09-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There IS a Wal-Mart in Hurricane now.

I know people were RV camping out east of town, on the side roads out towards Virgin, a few weeks ago when I was there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Are you talking about the trailhead just off the highway by the radio towers? I don't think anybody would care.

Hurricane is getting really popular for mountain bikers lately, though. I can't believe how crowded some of the trails and trailheads have been lately. If camping there starts to be a regular thing, I would guess the police would start shoeing people along.

The Walmart in Hurricane is about 5 miles outside of town heading towards St. George. I always see RVs parked there.

mtbr member
    Hurknite yes the radio tower area. I know its not that big maybe I will try it once.
    K2rider thanks for the walmart update.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Between Virgin and Rockville I’ve seen people camped along the river and also at the trailhead for Huber Wash and possibly Coalpits Wash Trailheads. Use the “Aerial” view option on one of the many web maps and you should be able to spot these locations easily. Take note though….I’ve also seen camping equipment floating down the river after a heavy rainstorm.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender View Post
    Between Virgin and Rockville I’ve seen people camped along the river and also at the trailhead for Huber Wash and possibly Coalpits Wash Trailheads. Use the “Aerial” view option on one of the many web maps and you should be able to spot these locations easily. Take note though….I’ve also seen camping equipment floating down the river after a heavy rainstorm.
    Those areas were closed by BLM due to the human and dog waste issue..it was a sh#tfest and nasty. They are clearly posted no camping and they don't give warnings, its a ticket.

The Cell Tower lot is plenty big but if you head up 59 just a tad you can camp at the upper JEM trailhead with more peace and quiet. Truck traffic makes the cell tower lot very noisy.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    OOOOH...sounds ICKY! Good to know, I'll stop mentioning it to locals. We're dealing with our own sh*tfest of the four legged kind....butt on our trails.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The BLM has maps (free I think) which show where dispersed primitive camping is allowed. Virgin and Rockville do not allow it within their town limits. Rockville hates pretty much any and everything that is fun.

Virgin recently passed an ordinance because folks were setting up "campgrounds" during RedBull in 2012 which had no sanitation (porta potties) and the area(s) were left strewn with trash afterwards. Virgin is lax about enforcement, basically if you're a good steward and don't give anyone a reason to complain...its all good.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts