cheeseburger in paradise

Smile Hurricane conditions and where to ride

Going to be in Hurricane to ride in the morning of 4/17. Never been there but heard it's up there on the awesome meter. Looking to get in about a 2 hour ride in the am before I have to get back on the road. What do you recomend, and better yet, anyone care to join me?

Thanks in advance!
    singlecrack

NMBP
    JEM/ Hurricane Rim, info at Over The Edge.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Grizzly
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    JEM/ Hurricane Rim, info at Over The Edge.
    I will second that. Jem/Hurricane Rim is fantastic. If you had more time you could get out on Gooseberry as well.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

cheeseburger in paradise
    Thanks a bunch! Is the Over the Edge in Hurricane, or is it in St. George?
    singlecrack

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by bluchris
    Thanks a bunch! Is the Over the Edge in Hurricane, or is it in St. George?
    Super convenient in Hurricane, it's right at the base of the hill before you start climbing the hill out of town to JEM, Gooseberry, etc.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

cheeseburger in paradise
    Got in to town late so couldn't make it to OTE, but found that Shuntavi was still open. Got my map, snacks and supplies and will be starting from the JEM TH at about 8am tomorrow. Going to ride JEM > Hurricane Rim > Gould's Rim. Thanks for the tips!
    singlecrack

Solum Volamus
    Going to ride JEM > Hurricane Rim > Gould's Rim. Thanks for the tips!
    That may be the best order to ride it in...wish I had tried it that way. Both times for me I've parked near the radio tower near town at the top of the hill. First time went Hurricane > JEM and then back, second time was Gould's > JEM > Hurricane. Another cool order would be to start at the parking lot between the JEM and Hurricane Rim section. Either way...just make sure to ride the JEM downhill. That is one great ride!

Check out the MountainBikeBill.com video: http://www.mtbbill.com/videos/HurricaneCliffs-Web.mpg

cheeseburger in paradise
    Quote Originally Posted by TUMBLEWEED
    That may be the best order to ride it in...wish I had tried it that way. Both times for me I've parked near the radio tower near town at the top of the hill. First time went Hurricane > JEM and then back, second time was Gould's > JEM > Hurricane. Another cool order would be to start at the parking lot between the JEM and Hurricane Rim section. Either way...just make sure to ride the JEM downhill. That is one great ride!

Check out the MountainBikeBill.com video: http://www.mtbbill.com/videos/HurricaneCliffs-Web.mpg
    Yep, it was a dandy ride indeed. I parked just below the radio tower, where the fire road climb starts. Only negative thing was the freakin wind. Dag! Got blown off the trail a couple times. I'm just glad it was blowing away from the cliff edge. JEM was a JAM, and Hurricane Rim was RAD. Perfect balance of techy and flow.

Anyway, thanks all for the recomendations! Had a blast! Can't wait to get back.
    singlecrack

NMBP
    Only negative thing was the freakin wind. Dag! Got blown off the trail a couple times. I'm just glad it was blowing away from the cliff edge.
    There's a reason they are called the Hurricane Cliffs. I've done little front wheel lifts and suddenly find myself pointing in a new direction.

cheeseburger in paradise
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    There's a reason they are called the Hurricane Cliffs. I've done little front wheel lifts and suddenly find myself pointing in a new direction.
    This may/probably is a stupid question, given that the place is called hurricane, but is it always that windy?
    singlecrack

mtbr member
    Spring in the southwest. It's always windy. There are still late winter storms tracking north of the region but unlike earlier in the winter with the sun higher in the sky you get deeper mixing in the atmosphere and steeper pressure gradients between low and high pressure. So you get a lot more wind than you might have observed earlier in the year when a storm passed by to the north.

cheeseburger in paradise
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Spring in the southwest. It's always windy. There are still late winter storms tracking north of the region but unlike earlier in the winter with the sun higher in the sky you get deeper mixing in the atmosphere and steeper pressure gradients between low and high pressure. So you get a lot more wind than you might have observed earlier in the year when a storm passed by to the north.

wow!

So, I guess it's windy in the spring.
    singlecrack

NMBP
    It also seems like this spring has been more windy than normal.