ICPAYDIRT

How's the conditions in Gooseberry?

Has anyone been riding Gooseberry lately? Five of us are coming up from San Diego for Easter weekend, just checking to make sure all the trails are dry before making the long drive. The current plan is to camp in Springdale next to Zion and ride Slickrock Swamp, Gooseberry Mesa, and Little Rock Creek but we would definately appreciate any other suggestions if you've got a favorite trail that shouldn't be missed. A good time would be some drops, jumps, technical climbing and fast swoopy decents all within the backdrop of mother nature's best works. Also, any fun places to throw a few back in Springdale if we decide to venture away from camp for a night? Many thanks.

mtbr member

Thread tag-a-long

My friends and I also are planning a visit in that time frame and appreciate any 411 on trails, conditions, etc.

Also, was wondering about camping. I found the "St. George's Campground" on-line, but would any of you locals have other recommendations for camping? Preferably someplace where you can ride to the rides. Bathrooms and showers are always a plus.

Finally, I've found the best way to enjoy the trails is riding with locals. If you all want to show some visitors around, we'll spring for the post-ride adult beverages

Thanks for any help,

E

Bike Snob
    Rode Goose this morning, all conditions are supreme. The road is dry as well.

Little Creek was muddy on the outer loop last saturday. It should be passable by the weekend.

ICPAYDIRT
    Thanks for the info. A small storm is supposed to hit the area this weekend but it sounds like the warmer temps have taken care of the snow for now. Can anyone tell me if it's worth riding Little Rock Creek after a rain?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Rode both Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek this past weekend. Gooseberry is bone dry but both roads leading in are a little tore up if you're taking a car.

Little Creek had some snow patches towards the end of the loop and a bit of ice after the "waterfall', but the rest was dry. It snowed in Cedar City as we were leaving Saturday, but rumor has it that area didn't get hit with that storm.

Team Sanchez
    LIttle Creek is usually more accessible than Goose after a rain storm. The road out to Goose gets as slick as snot when it's wet. The road out to little creek is crushed Lava, so much more passable. By Easters, either of those rides will be in great shape assuming no rain 2 or 3 days before.

mtbr member
    Rode Gooseberry last weekend. It was all dry, but like everyone else has said, the road getting out there has deep ruts in it, so it is slow going getting out there. Use your 4x4 if you have it!

ICPAYDIRT
    Thanks everyone for chiming in. I think I got it, don't worry about anything unless there's been precipitation a couple days before because the roads to Goose will get slick and rutted. We've got 4WD so we might be alright. Absent a sudden rainstorm, trails sound like they'll be in excellent shape. Temps cool but not cold. Sounds great. Any suggestions for the area's best trails? We've got three days to ride the areas around St George all the way east to Zion.