mtbr member
    Sep 2005

How's Bountiful for biking and living?

Bountiful is on our list of potential spots to settle down. We will be checking out some homes on the bench and were looking for some info on Bountiful. Tell me about the biking, schools, neighborhoods, community, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I don't bike around Davis County often, but the Mueller Park area east of Bountiful is nice, and the hills above North Salt Lake have some dirt roads and single-track options.

Check out the trail map here: The Skid Map

Bountiful (particularly the bench area) is mostly a bedroom community with a conservative, relatively affluent, and largely LDS population. If that's what you're looking for, then it's a nice place to live. There is no real urban center or cultural amenities, just some big retail developments near the freeway, with the usual big box stores and chain restaurants. Not much else of anything going on. It's about 15 minutes from downtown SLC, if you get in your car and take the freeway. But, there are several nice neighborhoods near the Downtown / University / East Bench areas in Salt Lake County that have access to more trails and more things to do on your bike.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bountiful is a nice place to live with some good riding options within biking distance from your house. The description of LDS and Affluent describes the other area that Justin recommended more then Bountiful. Cost of living is much lower then compared to Downtown SLC, and Quality of living in my opinion is much higher. Some people love urban life but I can live without all the parking tickets, traffic, noise, and price gouging. Downtown SLC has higher quality restaurants if you don't mind paying double the price.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

LDS with some trails

If you are LDS or like living with 99% LDS, and you are ok with somewhat limited trail options (basically Mueller and the Wild Rose+game trails stuff) riding from the house, you're good. Great place.

If you want non-LDS neighbors and to be closer to Park City, as well as having more options to ride without driving, you probably want to live in Avenues/Sugarhouse/UofU areas of SLC instead. There is quite a bit more riding accessible from those areas without driving; it's also very easy to get to PC (~20 minutes to the Jeremy Ranch trails). It's also pretty easy and convenient to get around and run errands on a bike in those neighborhoods. Home prices will be a bit higher, though.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by sammypants View Post
    Bountiful is on our list of potential spots to settle down. We will be checking out some homes on the bench and were looking for some info on Bountiful. Tell me about the biking, schools, neighborhoods, community, etc.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    If you are LDS or like living with 99% LDS, and you are ok with somewhat limited trail options (basically Mueller and the Wild Rose+game trails stuff) riding from the house, you're good. Great place.

If you want non-LDS neighbors and to be closer to Park City, as well as having more options to ride without driving, you probably want to live in Avenues/Sugarhouse/UofU areas of SLC instead. There is quite a bit more riding accessible from those areas without driving; it's also very easy to get to PC (~20 minutes to the Jeremy Ranch trails). It's also pretty easy and convenient to get around and run errands on a bike in those neighborhoods. Home prices will be a bit higher, though.

-Walt
    Bingo on what Walt said regarding the vibe for Bountiful. If you are not from Utah, I'd definitely stay away from Bountiful (or Utah County). It's just .... weird in those areas, when you're not from here.

But as Walt pointed out, home prices in the areas he mention are not a bit higher, they are a LOT higher (I know, I'm in the middle of buying a house right now).

mtbr member
    Second the the opinion that Bountiful is LDS, Affluent, Big-box Genericana culture with minimal access to trails. If you want a big house with lower dollar per sq. foot numbers than the Salt Lake City area, look towards Sandy. That would get you closer to Corner Canyon trails. Park City is only 30 minutes from the east side of Salt Lake (I-80/I-215 interchange on the east side) - 20 minutes to Jeremy Ranch and Pinebrook trails. That's where you'll want to be in the summer when it's 95+ degrees in July and August.

Are there job considerations that push you towards Bountiful?

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I think my "a bit" might have been misleading. Home prices in the SLC area are going to be something like 2x what it'll cost for the same basic thing in Bountiful. Maybe more. IMO that's easily worth it but I hate driving (drive <1 time per week) a lot more than most people.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I live in North Salt Lake, just south of Bountiful. Not originally being from UT, I agree with the overall assessment re: LDS/suburbia description of Bountiful. North Salt Lake is still predominantly LDS, but with its younger population, it's a bit of a better fit for me and my family.

I agree with trail accessibility... you have the trails in the hills above NSL, Mueller Park and then the Bountiful Shoreline Trail. There is ready access to a whole network of trails by the "B" in south Bountiful which I haven't accessed yet but have heard good things about.

If you like eating out, you'll hate Bountiful which is rife with chain restaurants and bland offerings, but the easy access to I15 will mean you can be in downtown SLC in 15-20 minutes. If I recall correctly, from my house, I think it's about a 30 minute drive to the Park City exit so it's not too bad.

Keep us updated on where you decide to settle down!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It's Utah. You'll have Mormon influence where ever you're at. Some less than others, but still the majority in any given area. I live in Cottonwood Heights and have basically one trail within riding distance from the house. I still have to drive a bit to get to other trails, so really, unless you make it rain like Walt, Bountiful, NSL, Sandy, are all good reasonably-priced options with minimal driving to trails. Any of those areas will have plenty of access to trails with < 30 min of driving. Same with skiing.

EDIT: Regarding Avenues/Sugarhouse--you'll find a plenty of students living within this area, as it's close to the Univ. Utah campus. Just FYI.