powered by peanut butter.

How technical is Amasa Back compared to Porcupine Rim?

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Moab in a couple weeks with a group and we're trying to get our trails picked out. I haven't ridden Amasa Back, but I've done Porcupine Rim a couple of times. How does it compare in terms of technical riding? For one thing, I know you have to ride UP first. Otherwise, is it on a similar level as Porcupine?

Thanks!
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    Hi all,

I'm going to be in Moab in a couple weeks with a group and we're trying to get our trails picked out. I haven't ridden Amasa Back, but I've done Porcupine Rim a couple of times. How does it compare in terms of technical riding? For one thing, I know you have to ride UP first. Otherwise, is it on a similar level as Porcupine?

Thanks!
    It's not as challenging as Porcupine Rim. Rock is slabbier and there are friendlier routes down through every obstacle. Not as long either, so fatigue won't play as big a factor. Amasa back is generally more challenging to ride UP. There are several fun problems to solve as you grind up the hill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Definitely ride Amasa Back, you'll love it. It's one of the most fun rides (with some of the best views) in the Moab area.

mtbr member
    The first year that we rode Amasa Back we did it later in the same day after riding the Whole Enchilada. As we were getting up to the false summit there were several in our group that were questioning our choice of a second trail on that day. When we turned around (it was getting dark and we ran into some jeeps) and started down, the grumbling went away and by the time the ride was over we had converted everyone in the group.

The slabs on the way down make for a lot of fun ledges and drops that are a blast to ride down. Not nearly the constant pounding that porcupine is but still a great ride!