mtbr member

How many Wasatch area riders using a 1x9, 1x10 setup?

Thinking of switching to a 32T up front and my 11-34 9 spd in back but not sure how feasable that is around these parts. A lot of climbing for sure but I'm hoping it forces my fitness level up a notch. How many riders locally are running a 1x setup and how do you like it? I'm attracted to the simplicity and weight savings of having just a single ring up front with a guide/guard.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not many

Why not just test it out. Set your FD limit so it will not go into the little ring and do some rides. See if you think its worth the .5 lbs saving.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    That's completely reasonable here....and you will become more powerful on the pedals! I ride 33T and 11-32 combo on my bigger travel bike, and 34T and 11-34 combo on a hardtail and love them both. I got a lot of advice to match the largest cog on the cassette with the tooth count on your chainring (34T and 11-34, 32T and 11-32, etc.) and have found it to be a good general guideline. I would think going 32T and 11-34 would be more than plenty for climbing most stuff here. Your biggest adjustment might be spending more time out of the saddle on climbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I run a 1x10 on my Blur TRc with a 34t ring up front that I ride all over the Wasatch. Can't say I ever miss the front FD, and it's nice having less parts on the bike to worry about. If you have a bike you can stand and pedal on it's really a no brainer. I would trade a front derailleur for an adjustable seat post any day of the week.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to do it. I think I should have clarified, I'd be putting it on a GT Sanction which is on the heavy AM side of things so climbing fast is already a challenge. However, the bike responds really well out of the saddle and I like to push hard on climbs so I think it'll work. I'll probably start with 32T up front and work my way up as my fitness improves.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i ride a bandit 29...32t front, 1x10 rear 11-32t. works just stunning, 2nd year i've been on the same setup and i have only felt like i needed a smaller ring once or twice

mtbr member
    Sounds like you already made your decision; but, add me to the 1x9 group. 32t front 11-34 back. This is on the only bike I own... a Demo 7. I ride every climb on the Crest sitting down except for puke hill. On a different bike I could see myself getting more aggressive on other trails with more technical climbs and wanting another ring up front. But the way things are right now, and what the bike is really for, I'm happy with the 1x9

altazo
    Guys definitely do it.

I'm not sure you'll enjoy any weight savings however. Losing the front derailleur, cable, and housing but adding a chainguide / tensioner sounds like a wash at best to me.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm less concerned with the weight savings and more interested in the simplicity of the whole setup. I'm planning on doing a couple Super D/Enduro races this year. Would you all bump up your front chainring from 32T to 36T or larger for a race like that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1 climb 1 walk

Quote Originally Posted by roguebuilder View Post
    I ride every climb on the Crest sitting down except for puke hill.1x9
    I assume you are talking about shuttling the crest as opposed to riding it from bigwater. Isn't puke hill basically the only climb when shuttling so as to avoid all the climbing??
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    Yeah, I'm less concerned with the weight savings and more interested in the simplicity of the whole setup. I'm planning on doing a couple Super D/Enduro races this year. Would you all bump up your front chainring from 32T to 36T or larger for a race like that?
    There's probably no real general answer to this....you're getting more into the realm of rider preference and pedaling power/stamina, type of terrain, etc. 32 to 36 is going to be a pretty noticeable difference, especially on climbs, even short ones. If you were racing seriously I'd probably say you would want to ride whatever you are most used to overall, whether that is 32, 34, or 36. But, that's just me....I'm good pedaling a 32 or 34 pretty much anywhere, but going to a 36 is where I start to lose some of my climbing capability. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there mashing anything and everything on a 36, though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    I assume you are talking about shuttling the crest as opposed to riding it from bigwater. Isn't puke hill basically the only climb when shuttling so as to avoid all the climbing??
    I suppose my experience isn't the best argument for 1x9.

There are about 3 other climbs on the Crest that wouldn't be considered anything for a XC or AM rider. And Not riding Puke hill is due to a lack of determination on my part... not the gearing.

Basically, I think I could ride Puke with the 32t 11-34 on the Demo... But don't because I have no pride and don't feel the need to impress anyone. I'm already married to someone who is pretty. As for the other climbs, not a big deal for XC AM guys; but, I ride a Demo 7 mostly on DH and shuttle trails. So, the argument might find a touch of valildity because if someone who doesn't usually pedal (me) is able to pedal a bike that doesn't like to be pedaled (1x9 Demo 7) up any of those hills... and the only limiting factor on Puke is my lack of motivation... that should translate to 1x9 being okay - especially for anyone who already has more ability to pedal than me on a bike that doesn't squish as much and ways less than 40lbs.

Hmm... that's still not the best example for switching to a 1x9. I should probaly just say that I ride a 1x9. It's simple and I really like it.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

I will be in 2 months when I move out

I ride 1x on all my geared bikes (from 6/7" squish to rigid) here in CO and it's IMO fine. But I'm a fairly strong climber and don't mind walking if I need to.

I don't think weight is a great reason to do it. A little lighter maybe but not much. The advantage is that you don't have to deal with a front derailleur, and front derailleurs really, really suck, at least IMO. They suck your chain, they drop your chain, they refuse to shift when you really need them to, etc.

So if those things sound nice, go for it. FWIW I do a LOT of frames for customers without any cable routing for a front derailleur. So if being popular pushes you off the fence one way or the other, there's that.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Bored Carp
    I often run 1x9 on my steel hardtail. It works well. Have used it extensively down south, too - Everything from WRIAD to Gooseberry. It does keep things simple.

Sometimes I just go 1x1, which is even better in the simplicity dept. :-)

Cheers,
    C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I switched over on my Mojo HD this year, 34t ring, 11-36 cassette. Love the simplicity, and for most of the rides I do, it works great. But I think I am actually slower on big steep climbs where before I was able to spin away, now I have to push a tall gear straight up the mountain. Thinking of dropping to a 33 or even 32 ring, but then there is a lot of spinning out involved. But short story, yes it's good for most stuff, but it sucks in a few select big/steep climb sections.

mtbr member
    Just put in the order to switch from my Shimano 1x9 to a SRAM 1x10....gonna go with a 34T front and 11-36 in the back.

Stoked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Seriously?

Roguebuilder, you should be more specific when describing one of the most popular trails in the Wasatch in the way 99% of the people ride it. You're totally confusing the 1% out there.

(Occupy the Crest!!!)