mtbr member
    Mar 2004

How do I get to the U of U trails?

Hi all,

I've heard great things about the system of trails up behind the U and would like to try them out as an afterwork ride. I've never been there and was hoping someone could give me directions to trailheads and good routes to take. I'm familiar with Foothill and Wakara Way, that's about as far East as I've gotten in that area so any help would be greatly appreciated. My skill level is low intermediate so nothing too sick. Thanks in advance.

Earthdog

mtbr member
    There are a whole bunch of different places to park, but from Foothill, try following the signs East to Red Butte Gardens. You'll see a road on the right with lots of cars with bike racks. You'll see various trailheads on the east side of the road - head north and they all pretty much merge together and you'll get to the start of Dry Creek. It's a little hard to describe, but it's pretty busy and it's a pretty safe bet to say on a weekend or after work you can just follow the other bikers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thank you for the directions, I'll be checking it out soon. Sounds like a fun place to explore, if a little crowded...

Good Riding,
    Earthdog

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

another way

If you're coming from the Aves area, you don't need to over to the Research Park. Park somewhere. Go up around Merrill Engineering towards the hospital, turn left into the JCC parking lot. There's pedestrial access on the left (NW) side of an electrical substation, and bike access along the right. Go up a few dozen yards and take a left on the gravel road. Maybe a hundred yards on is the entrance to the Dry Creek trail.
    If you went SE instead, you'd take the BST across behind the U, to the zoo.