mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Hotels around Thunder Mountain

Any hotels that you could recommend around or close to Thunder
    Mountain. Thanks.

Proud American
    This may not be helpful, but, we drove to Springdale, at Zion, after our ride on Thunder Mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    @ Bluejudad, Is it easy to to locate the start of the trail going to
    Thunder Mountain? Any other trail to ride after doing Thunder Mountain?
    Thanks so much.

Proud American
    Quote Originally Posted by akazan View Post
    @ Bluejudad, Is it easy to to locate the start of the trail going to
    Thunder Mountain? Any other trail to ride after doing Thunder Mountain?
    Thanks so much.
    It is relatively easy to find the trail head. As you head towards Bryce, you will come upon a shocking ( and beautiful ) change in scenery. That is not Bryce, it's called Red Canyon ( I believe). It has many of the same features as Bryce, but, on a smaller scale. Right as you are about to enter that canyon, there is a parking lot on right ( I think it's gravel). Park there. However, that will be your finish! Instead of taking the trail from this point, look for the paved bike path that goes through the canyon. Take that about 5 miles till you come to another turn off ( parking area) on right. Turn down that and pass parking area with bathroom joining a trail. Do not turn left (as we did and got lost) but, continue till end and veer left through the 'horse' campsite. If you pass horse campsite you are almost there and won't miss trailhead. This is considered the 'downhill' and best way to ride Thundermountain. Mind you.... There is still some challenging climbs. You wii end up where your car is parked. It's a stunning and 'well worth the trip' ride.

I would not ride anything else there. I would head to Virgin ( near Springdale) and ride one of the famous Mesa trails. They are Gooseberry, little Creek and my favorite Guacamole.

Proud American
    I would post the trail from Cyclemeter but don't know how to do it on the IPad. Go to utahmountainbiking.com for more details.

Proud American
    To be clear... You will see Red Canyon not too long after you enter the 12 from the 89. The parking lot is on the right just before you enter (not see from the distance) the stark red hoodoo riddled canyon. You will have a chance to view that are as you ride bikes up paved path. If you have two cars you can certainly avoid the paved, mildly uphill path, and shuttle (using the same starting and ending points).

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejudad View Post

I would not ride anything else there.
    depending upon your fitness, Thunder Mtn is a pretty short ride. There is an entire system of good, flowy xc trails just across the street that you can hook up into a big loop - look up Castro/Cassidy on utahmountainbiking.com for more info. If you really want a hotel, try getting a spot in the Bryce Canyon Lodge - it is a nice location in a beautiful park. Otherwise, the camping in the red canyon campground is quite developed, has water and showers.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Panguitch is only 15 minutes away. Purple Sage is nice and Cowboy's Smokehouse Cafe has good barbecue. I 2nd Chuky's recommendation of Cassidy, Casto, or Lossee. For a 30 mile all day ride climb Casto to Cassidy-paved path to Thunder Mountain to close the loop. You could do shorter loop by going up Lossee instead but that gets hammered by the horses. I prefer going down it. Or, if you have the time and more energy after TH just do an out and back on Cassidy to the Boynton Canyon Overlook.

Proud American
    Good info from Chuky & Rockman.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    @ Bluejudad, chuky and rockman- many thanks for the input and suggestions. We stayed at Panguitch because it's difficult to book a two-day stays at Bryce Canyon. A lot of
    tourist last Thursday and Friday. I rode Thunder Mountain and it was a blast. The switchbacks
    are in bad shapes, some ruts and a lot of baby heads due to some heavy rain storm the day before. I rode up Cassidy to Brayton Point then bombed down towards Rich Trail and back to
    the parking lot. Rich trail is in bad shape also. I should have taken Cassidy all the way down for some adrenaline rush.

I did Goosebery three years ago and one of the best trails to visit. Next time I'll hit
    Little Creek and Guacamole.