mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Home in SLC for Christmas, where to ride?

Hey everyone,

I'll be home in Salt Lake next week until after new years. I'll have my current bikes but I'm also going to build up a new Ibis HD3 and I'd like to get some rides on it. If it doesn't snow, what trails do you recommend I ride?

mtbr member
    A lot can happen with the weather in the coming weeks but here is a link to a number of rides that might work. Or you could make a bit longer drive to the Price area for stuff

Salt Lake City low-altitude Mountain Bike Trails

Look for ones that are lower elevation and exposed by the sun.

And remember: ripping through mud can be fun for you but can ruin the trail for a long time.

mtbr member
    I'll take you on a guided tour if you let me try out your HD3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Ha!

We are really at the mercy of the weather here. One good storm and we are done until spring.
    Corner canyon has been great but again, one storm that is of decent size turns it in to a muddy mess. The safest option is to travel south to st george. You have access to awesome trails and great weather.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Something could possibly be arranged.

Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    Ha!

We are really at the mercy of the weather here. One good storm and we are done until spring.
    Corner canyon has been great but again, one storm that is of decent size turns it in to a muddy mess. The safest option is to travel south to st george. You have access to awesome trails and great weather.
    Yeah, mostly wishful thinking. I might have to make a trip down to moab or st. George to ride before I move to Colorado Springs in January.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well, I made it back to Salt Lake today. Thinking about a ride tomorrow. Doesn't look like there's too much snow. Any recommendations? Looking for something with decent climbing and fun descents.

Your Best Friend
    We got just enough snow and rain to make most of the lower trails off limits. Some sections of the BST with high gravel content could be ok but that'd be about it.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    We got just enough snow and rain to make most of the lower trails off limits. Some sections of the BST with high gravel content could be ok but that'd be about it.
    Yep, you were right. I went up to the pipeline trail today and there was a decent amount of snow. Time to rent some skis!

mtbr member
    BST South, Gasline, Aqueduct, Rattler & Lower Ghost Falls trails in Corner canyon are open year round and are likely to be the first rideable trails after a given storm. (Sandy soil makeup and quite a lot of south and otherwise highly exposed areas.)
    If you absolutely have to get some tires on dirt, that would be my suggestion of the first spot to try.
    Lambert Park above Highland/Alpine may be rideable too, but I cannot confirm.

mtbr member
    I did a short loop on one of the lowest Herriman system trails today and it was fine but I could see snow on higher trails. It's sandy there so good when damp.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I'm thinking about trying to get out to Stansbury Island for a ride this weekend if time permits. It rarely gets/holds any snow and usually does pretty well as long as we dont get too much precip. There's a pretty nasty but relatively short climb to get up to the bench where there trail sits but the ride up top is a fun one with some very unique and pretty awesome scenery. Starts out pretty mellow and gets a bit more technical the further out you get. Definitely best as an out and back. More details and directions can be found on Utahmountainbiking.com.

You in town for a bit KRob?
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've always wantewanted to try stansbury island. Is it any good?

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    I've always wantewanted to try stansbury island. Is it any good?
    Bit of a drive out there but I think it's a great ride when nearly everything else is unrideable. Given that I'm usually in peak off-season shape the initial climb always kills me but the rest of the ride is worth it. Relatively flat and rolling with a few mixed in tech pieces. Definitely worth riding out to the far point where the trail ends and then riding as an out and back. Most trail descriptions describe it as a loop where you drop down to the road and ride gravel all the way back which makes no sense to me. If you ride single track back you add some more fun miles and get to bomb that big initial climb back to the car.
    Stansbury Island
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Stansbury sucks in the Summer because of the heat (no shade whatsoever), and the biting flies and mosquitoes. But off season (like now) it's a great option. The climb is pretty brutal, but nice once on top.

Antelope Island has the same issue with no shade and flies/mosquitoes, but the terrain is a lot mellower. There is also some sand here. But if you aren't as advanced a rider, Antelope is another good option for early/late season.