Upgrade Addict

Help with my Moab agenda this week...

I'm headed out to Moab for only the second time this coming up Thursday. We will arrive probably too late to get a ride in that day but will have all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday to ride. Same group went last year and we want to try some new stuff and ride mroe than we did last year. I need help picking and planning our days... here is what I thought... I would appreciate anyone letting me know if the plans are too much, too little, or there are better options... Thanks!!!! I am psyched!

Friday AM: Porcupine Rim (our favorite last year)
    Friday PM: Sovereign (haven't done it)
    Saturday AM: Amassa Back (haven't done it)
    Saturday PM: Slickrock (or Bartlett Wash, recommendations? Done Slickrock)
    Sunday AM: Poison Spider/Portal
    Sunday PM: ???? Flat Pass??? The Hospital?

Help is appreciated...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmre
    I'm headed out to Moab for only the second time this coming up Thursday. We will arrive probably too late to get a ride in that day but will have all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday to ride. Same group went last year and we want to try some new stuff and ride mroe than we did last year. I need help picking and planning our days... here is what I thought... I would appreciate anyone letting me know if the plans are too much, too little, or there are better options... Thanks!!!! I am psyched!

Friday AM: Porcupine Rim (our favorite last year)
    Friday PM: Sovereign (haven't done it)
    Saturday AM: Amassa Back (haven't done it)
    Saturday PM: Slickrock (or Bartlett Wash, recommendations? Done Slickrock)
    Sunday AM: Poison Spider/Portal
    Sunday PM: ???? Flat Pass??? The Hospital?

Help is appreciated...

Thanks!
    Sounds fun!!! But I dunno if you wanna do any trails after Porcupine...if you're like we were, we were basically dead after that trail. I hear Amassa back is some beginners trail so I dunno how hardcore you are...ask a local. Slickrock is fun......go the easy way....cuz there's more dh. Bartlett Wash is just a slickrock playground...if you're a big hucker, that's where the famous mushroom drop is. Poison Spider (if I can remember from reading and talking to locals) is 28 mi round trip. It's all uphill untill you hit the playground at the top. Some of the lbs guys said that it's not worth it. So if you did that...you wouldn't have anytime for anything else besides the hospital. Have fun!!! I wish I were going!!!
    Pain is only temporary...Glory lasts forever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spjute
    Sounds fun!!! But I dunno if you wanna do any trails after Porcupine...if you're like we were, we were basically dead after that trail. I hear Amassa back is some beginners trail so I dunno how hardcore you are...ask a local. Slickrock is fun......go the easy way....cuz there's more dh. Bartlett Wash is just a slickrock playground...if you're a big hucker, that's where the famous mushroom drop is. Poison Spider (if I can remember from reading and talking to locals) is 28 mi round trip. It's all uphill untill you hit the playground at the top. Some of the lbs guys said that it's not worth it. So if you did that...you wouldn't have anytime for anything else besides the hospital. Have fun!!! I wish I were going!!!
    Amasa Back is definitely NOT a beginners trail. It's not too long, but there is a lot of stuff to play around on the way, and some great slickrock with a nice view at the end. It's a great trail, but there is some technical riding, some drops and loose sand and rock that can be tricky if you're not paying attention. On the way back there is some great dh that you can get screaming on, but I have seen some major face plants on that trail, so watch it.
    [SIZE=1]If you cannot understand that there is something in a man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer.[/SIZE]