mtbr member
    Nov 2004

HELP I need Moab advice

I have a trip planned with my family for the last week in March it is all set accommodations, trails picked out, other activities etc. Now my 10 year old has broken his arm and the doctor says 6 weeks no bikes. Is there anything to do in Moab for a 10 year old with a broken arm? My wife wants to cancel unless we can come up with some activities. She doesn’t ride anyway and can hang with him while I am out riding with my older son. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated preferably something in town they can walk to. Thanks.

Rafting? Water might be a bit cold, but otherwise very nice and easy to arrange.

Certainly hiking, especially in Arches.

mtbr member
    Arches, Canyonlands are all really close to Moab! There are also Jeep tours, hiking Negro Bill, shopping, etc...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Not exactly right in town

but there's plenty of scenic areas to hike in. Everyone has mentioned Arches (which is the real deal), there's the trail out to Corona Arch, even hiking on the Slickrock Trail is fun. Hike up Courthouse Wash (just north of town) or Negro Bill Canyon, just up 128 a little ways (a very cool hike). If the rest of your family doesn't like hiking, it doesn't matter your ten year old has a broken arm. I've been out there and been so injured that I just drove around and took in the sights, didn't even hike, but that requires some driving, you know?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

should know better.....
    Hiking, rafting, shopping, sightseeing by car etc. as already mentioned. Depending on your kid's interests, there are a lot of places to go to see Petroglyphs (rock art), old Native American cliff dweller ruins. A guided hike through Arches in The Fiery Furnace is awesome, very adventurous. Self guided hike out to Fisher Towers is very good as well. Mill Creek canyon, which leaves pretty much from the middle of town is very cool. Driving out to Canyonlands (Dead horse Point), or down to Four Corners, are things they could do that are car based.

For something a little different, if your wife is reasonably adventurous, she could rent a jeep and drive out some of the 4x4 roads, even Klondike Bluffs if she's brave. There are only a few tight spots. Your kid would probably love it. Gemini bridges and a few other drives are totally doable as well, even for a beginner offroader. If she's not up to it, jeep tours get to some pretty gnarly spots, with great views, and enough thrills to keep your kid interested.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the ideas this gives me some things to research. Keep the suggestions coming. This trip might not be dead yet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is so much to do it is not even funny... There is a great river up Mill Cayon off River road heading east... There is a swimming hole (probably too cold that time of year) but that is a great hike. If you have a Subaru or a 4WD head out on Pot Ash road (can't miss it, just north of the Colorado) way out into Canyon Lands, it is literally drop dead goreous... I would definitely take the trip if you ask me...

Freeriding Feline
    I'm making my 1st trip there myself in April so I don't have any real suggestions but I hope your son feels better.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029