mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Hazard County - Porc Rim

Yo yo,

Anyone got beta on this? Will Hazard county be snowfree in three weeks? Can I get one of the shuttle companies to take us up there? Is UPS rideable, i.e. not having some sort of crackdown or fenced off? Thanks for any info on this!!

Peace,
    Andy

mtbr member
    Call Coyote Shuttles and Jesse/Kristi will give ya the lowdown. Just rode part of UPS and LPS /Porc this past weekend. They're up there everyday dropping off riders and have the up to day status. Your lookin at $15-20/ rider to shuttle. There was a ton of snow up there as we got above the UPS/Kok area. Last year at this time they were already riding the upper stuff, but the snow was huge this past season.
    Last edited by Reignman; 05-01-2008 at 08:14 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman
    Call Coyote Shuttles and Jesse/Kristi will give ya the lowdown. Just rode part of UPS and LPS /Porc this past weekend. They're up there everyday dropping off riders and have the up to day status. Your lookin at $15-20/ rider to shuttle. There was a ton of snow up there as we got above the UPS/Kok area. Last year at this time they were already riding the upper stuff, but the snow was huge this past season.
    Reignman:

Were you dropped off at the normal pull out on the La Sal Mountain Loop road? Was the Kokopelli really rutted due to all the moisture this winter? When do they expect Hazard to be open? Check out my PM

Thanks

mtbr member
    We were dropped off at the cattle guard crossing and took a right and climbed up LPS/UPS as far as we could go (snow) and then turned around and descended the whole route. Don't think I made it to Kokopelli as I have not done the Whole Enchilada and I'm not familiar with the crossings above where we rode.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    So that's the usual LPS drop off you're talking about, right? You rode up UPS as far as possible but snow turned you back? I assume you didn't take UPS all the way to where it hits Sand Flats road again? How much snow are we talking about? Seems safe to assume Hazard will be unrideable for a while if UPS isn't even clear...

mtbr member
    Ya right. Didn't make it to Sand Flats again. Pretty good amount, just didn't feel like climbing in the snow. My buddies got snowed on at CastleValley overlook the week before, so I was stoked to go further up a week later. Just check with Krisi @ Coyote in a week or so and get the status. It's been 70+ everyday so it won't take long before it's rideable.

mtbr member

safe

I rode from the la sal loop road to town via kok/ups/lps/porc three days ago.. not only is it dry but it is already getting loose and dusty.. the wind is drying everything out...

better get it while its good...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sounds promising for Hazard! Anyone know if the shuttles will take you to the Hazard trailhead?

mtbr member
    ttt

Any updates on Hazard conditions? Will be down in Moab this friday-sunday and would love to ride it.

Thanks in advance!
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDMONKEY
    ttt

Any updates on Hazard conditions? Will be down in Moab this friday-sunday and would love to ride it.

Thanks in advance!

Shuttle up to the Kokopelli and ride up Hazard backwards then report back to us when you get back to town.

More Chasmism
    Gonna try to climb Hazard tomorrow morning so I'll let you know how it is. Traditionally, the Warner Lake Road opens Memorial Day weekend.

hfly

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I bit late on this but I rode Koko on Thursday and Hazard was fu@ked. Snow right down to wothin 30 feet of the road. Koko is still hit or miss with the occasional rain showers happening, but it was sticky and awesome when we hit it. (the shuttle didn't let anyone ride it on Wed...) Hazard seems like a few weeks off still...

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andykrow
    I bit late on this but I rode Koko on Thursday and Hazard was fu@ked. Snow right down to wothin 30 feet of the road. Koko is still hit or miss with the occasional rain showers happening, but it was sticky and awesome when we hit it. (the shuttle didn't let anyone ride it on Wed...) Hazard seems like a few weeks off still...
    Had some friends up there on Saturday, and they said the same.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    A bunch of us rode it on Saturday (May 31) and it was prime. No snow anywhere, three tiny ravine crossings with almost no mud. Apparently this was the first weekend they were shuttling all the way up.

Good to go.

JMH

mtbr member
    Watch the weather!! Rained a bit yesterday and ALOT today. Weekend weather looks good though, but it's cold enough it's probably snowing in the LaSals.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    If timed right, the rain could be a good thing. I was really surprised at how sandy Porc was last weekend (was there with JMH). Hazard was tacky and perfect. But yeah, I understand that getting on there too soon after rain is hell. The mud will cake your tires until they stop rolling.

All but 1 of the upper gaps on Hazard were in good shape and quite fun. One of them had a rock missing from the lip right in the sweet spot. The lower rock gap/stepdown needs some work to both the entrance and exit. I didn't notice any serious ruts or blown-out corners, mostly warp speed all the way to Kok.