mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Hardtail XC/trail Demos

I have recently been running my specialized rockhopper comp into the ground. I'm pretty sure by the end of this season it will be toast, especially because everything keeps breaking and the money I spend to replace parts with higher end ones could just as easily go towards a better bike. So I've been looking at saving for a new bike for next year. I like to do xc racing, but also enjoy trail riding and am stuff. I really like hardtails for the XC stuff, and at this point I can only afford one bike, and only have space for one bike. I have been going to a lot of demos to try bikes out, and they only seem to have FS bikes. I get the appeal ( I love fs for downhill) but I perform well on uphills, not downhills. I have been looking at Specialized Stumpjumper, trek superfly, scott scale, santa cruz highballer, and a custom build of a santa cruz chameleon. The problem is I don't feel like dumping $4000ish dollars into my dream speced bike to not like it once I hit trails. Anybody know where I can demo one of these hardtails, or one similar?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Good luck - I once bumped into a demo where they had a single HT in the truck, and it happened to be close-enough size, and I had to beg them to get it out to let me give it a shot.

I then proceeded to break one of their pedals they had bolted on

Particularly with the way that one-off demos seem to get announced in the SLC area (typically a facebook post from a shop, maybe in one of the MTB groups, saying "Brand XYZ is going to be having a demo tomorrow"), your best bet may be to hit up one of the festivals - Outerbike at Moab, Hurricane MTB Festival, etc. - go through their list of companies bringing demos, and email them to see if they're going to be bringing any of their hardtails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Stopped by LBS today and found a flyer for Trek demo at Rainbow Gardens(12th St in Ogden) Sat June 11th from 9am to 3pm. Not sure what they're bringing, sales guy said they're definitely going to have the Fuel EX 27+ which has my interest. Hope you can find something there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Al's Sporting Good in Logan is having a trek demo day - Wednesday, June 15 at 4 PM - 8 PM. Check it out on their Facebook page.

King Park, 2300 E. 1900 N., in North Logan City 84341
    (435) 752-5151

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    June 18 - Park City Super Demo at Deer Valley | Park City Mountain Biking

Saturday June 18 @ Deer Valley

Trek, Rocky Mtn, Santa Cruz, Scott

Looks like that could cover everything you're looking at aside from the Spec. I'd fire off some emails (maybe even just hit up White Pine or Jans directly?) and see if they're going to have the bikes you're interested in.

New addict
    Jun 2016
    This is a good thread. I am looking for the same thing but more trail/AM biased.