Green Mojo

Great Trip To St George area

Thanks to everyone for advice and ideas on what to do and what to ride in the St George area. I just returned from a great few days of riding in the area and my son and I thoroughly enjoyed the trails. It was a short trip but we managed to squeeze in the Church Rocks trail and two separate rides on the infamous Gooseberry Mesa trail. We also spent one day canyoneering slot canyons in Zion (fun!!).

Here are a few pictures. The Church Rocks Trail starts with a spooky ride through a long tunnel under the freeway. It's at least a few hundred feet long. After that its on to great singletrack, plenty of slick rock, and absolutely beautiful red rock scenery. A beautiful and fun trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Green Mojo
    From Church Rocks in St George we moved on to Hurricane. I knew I liked this town when I found it's really cool bike shop - Over The Edge. I had to enjoy a fresh latte while the shop owner freshened up the Stan's in my tubeless tires. I loved this shop.

Armed with some great maps and advice that I received at the shop it was on to the Gooseberry Mesa trail. I have ridden lots of trails all over California, Uath, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado. If this isn't the best trail around - I don't what trail is. We fell in love with this trail. We liked it so much we came back a second day and rode it in the reverse direction. Awesome trail, beautiful scenery, great people, perfect weather - doesn't get much better!

For us the trail offered just the right amount of technical riding, awesome slick rock (without Moab's killer hill climbs!!!), and perfect singletrack.
    Last edited by bikerneil; 04-15-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Green Mojo
    A few final pictures, and a few more comments.

On our first day up on the mesa I was very nervous about the weather as clouds were looming, rain was predicted, etc. I knew we had come too far to not ride so we went for it. The weather did get cold and we even a few snow flakes but it was awesome. The weather cleared up for the second day of riding and we saw nothing but blue skies.

I was also a little nervous about being able to follow the trail as I had heard some feedback that it's easy to get lost. I found this to not be the case at all. I have gotten lost before on other trails but I thought this trail was very well marked with white paint marks and some signs (my trail map helped too).

Awesome trail!!

Bike Snob
    Now you know why I moved here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Great pics and story

I'm just going to keep driving west and south one more day when I do my Utah trips and hit Gooseberry. I keep hearing such great things about it.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Good times. The great riding here definately factored in heavily for me moving here also.

mtbr member

great report

I enjoyed your pix and writeup. My wife, kids and I are planning on heading down from Portland to southwest Utah for two weeks in mid-May and I've been gathering info for our trip. We've been to Gooseberry once before and I'm looking forward to that and other trails I've been reading about.
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...