Grand View/ Paunsaugunt trail?

Anyone have any info, biking or otherwise, direct or in, about this area? That is, beyond the normal Thunder Mtn/Losee/Cassidy stuff.

The linked map says "Grand View hiking and equestrian trail", but I'm pretty sure it's bike-legal. Just maybe not bike-friendly.

Summer projects.

sugoi chairinko
    Here's a page from that same 'Garfield County Trails' webpage, just in case you didn't see it. http://www.utah-trails.com/paunsaugunt-trail.shtml

It seems to insinuate that it's biker- friendly. A lot of those trails are ridden to death in the summer months by ATVers.

Personally, I've never ridden in the area, something I'm hoping to change this year with summer plans of my own!

mtbr member
    I rode a section of it a few years ago just after it was built and have never been back. I would describe it as a great idea gone bad, at least as far as bikes are concerned. I talked to a friend who was the rec director for the forest service at the time and he said that the person who was responsible for the Grandview trail was a horse person and saw no need to design for bikes. The result is a trail that goes straight up and down hills instead of contouring and switchbacking. Some of the climbs were real beast's where if they had been designed with bikes in mind the grades could have been made much gentler. There were also long sections of loose sandy soil that was inrideable. Often times the sand and hills were combined to make riding hell. Looking at the Red Canyon trail head at the bottom of Thunder Mountain it looks as if it gets very little use. It's a real shame It could have been a world class mountain biking trail that could have drawn riders from around the globe if a little thought had been put into it .

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    lolQ-

You are the second person I have heard describe those trails as disappointing. There is a perverse streak in me that still wants to look and see for myself, but it's diminishing.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    lolQ-

You are the second person I have heard describe those trails as disappointing. There is a perverse streak in me that still wants to look and see for myself, but it's diminishing.
    If you do try it, make sure it is extremely dry so that you can truly enjoy 1 hour drive through 6" deep dust to get to the trail head.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH

I'm tentatively scheduling a recon for the last Monday or Tuesday in April. Snow whiling.

Idea would be to start from the lower TM TH. Can't be more than 20 miles to the Proctor Canyon bailout, thus manageable even if truly horrid. Ideally, and with a crack o' dawn start, one would be able to explore significantly further south before looping back up to Tropic and to the car. A nice 11+ hour loop.

JMH, you are formally invited.
    Last edited by ionsmuse; 02-08-2008 at 05:04 AM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    A nice 11+ hour loop.

JMH, you are formally invited.
    If I don't show up at 5 AM, just go ahead and start without me.

What day are we riding?
    Not nearly enough negative comments to keep me from trying it. Maybe the next day we can check out Mount Dutton area. Just a bummer that most maps don't even show it.

No, that's not phonetic
    I have ridden part of the Great Western ORV trail on Boulder Mountain and it was lame. Boring, rutted, loose, blah. I hope you find better conditions. Some of the other trails on BM/Aquarius Plateau were pretty cool though.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

NMBP
    Well ionsmuse and Rockin hope you have a good ride. I'm thinking the ideal bike would be an 18 pound Pugsley (with a 20 tooth granny), for the steep, sandy climbs.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.