Bored Carp

Grafton/Gooseberry Mesa camping restrictions?

Noticed a lot of new, permanent signage regarding camping restrictions on the Mesa this season. I noticed that a lot of the crappy party sites have boulders in the entrances, are effectively shut down, etc. I am curious if anyone knows the long term plan? Improved sites? Fees? Honestly, I won't miss the 10 truck/20 person sh*t shows that the no fire rule will bring about, but it is awfully nice to have a heat source for the January trips....
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky View Post
    Noticed a lot of new, permanent signage regarding camping restrictions on the Mesa this season. I noticed that a lot of the crappy party sites have boulders in the entrances, are effectively shut down, etc. I am curious if anyone knows the long term plan? Improved sites? Fees? Honestly, I won't miss the 10 truck/20 person sh*t shows that the no fire rule will bring about, but it is awfully nice to have a heat source for the January trips....
    I was up camped on the windmill look off two weekends ago and didn't notice anything going on but really I didn't even look anywhere besides there. Actually it was lovely, Didnt see another sole besides us. There was only one other camper on the whole mesa and the white trail parking lot was empty both times we rode by it. So ill just tell people it's closed and to stay away because that was awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky View Post
    Visit the Washington County BLM for accurate info on back country camping and fire restrictions. The BLM is in the middle of a revised travel management plan for all Washington County and this will include some modifications to current camping ( or lack of ) rules on Goose. I'd be happy if the fire restrictions are made permanent, the stupid up on Gooseberry was huge this season. I personally smothered three unattended fires ealier in the season. Maybe designated sites and some nice steel fire rings like 18-road in Fruita would be the answer..?
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Visit the Washington County BLM for accurate info on back country camping and fire restrictions. The BLM is in the middle of a revised travel management plan for all Washington County and this will include some modifications to current camping ( or lack of ) rules on Goose. I'd be happy if the fire restrictions are made permanent, the stupid up on Gooseberry was huge this season. I personally smothered three unattended fires ealier in the season. Maybe designated sites and some nice steel fire rings like 18-road in Fruita would be the answer..?
    I hope these fire restrictions wont put a damper on the bonfires you have been putting on over the last few years.

Remember when you spelled G O O S E B E R R Y with pallets and dumped gas all over them? what a night!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15 View Post
    I hope these fire restrictions wont put a damper on the bonfires you have been putting on over the last few years.

Remember when you spelled G O O S E B E R R Y with pallets and dumped gas all over them? what a night!
    That might have been me...

Chuky and I don't camp on Gooseberry Proper for exactly the reasons you mention, and we declined having a fire at our Secret Spot TM anyway simply because it was so dry. But yeah, it's a ghost town down toward Rockville.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15 View Post

That Delta pilot still claims that from 35,000 feet it looked like I left an "O" out of Goose... We'll get it right next time!
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts