Green Mojo

Gooseberry vs. Slick Rock

I really appreciate all the help provided by fellow riders on this board. I am still trying to set my plans for my trip with my 13 year old son. Our plan is to drive to Utah and I am willing to go to either Moab or St George area.

My question: how does the technical level of Gooseberry Mesa compare with that of the Slickrock Trail? We rode the Practice Loop and did fine. We have also ridden Sovereign with very minimal hike-a-bike (I heard it's easier now.....).

Any opinions from riders who have ridden both would be appreciated. I do not want to be too far over my head from a technical standpoint or from an exposure standpoint.

Thanks!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Personally, I find slick rock technically harder in the main than Gooseberry because of the severe steeps that it has on it. Gooseberry probably has a couple of more technical sections but overall it felt very fun. (But I have piss-weak leg strength that makes slick rock hard for me).

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The skill set is similar but Gooseberry has a friendlier scale with smaller domes, less sand and more imaginative routes. The singletrack is better than you typically find in Moab. It's still quite testing, so come prepared.

I go to Moab more often, but I ride many different routes when I am there. I NEVER miss Gooseberry if I am in St. George.

JMH

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I personally prefer Gooseberry, if you start out on Slickrock 101 (Practice Loop) and build up from there you'll do just fine.

Bike Snob
    I stopped riding slick rock a few years ago because I decided it wasn't fun anymore. There are much better trails to be had if I am going to make the roadie to Moab. That being said I think everybody should ride it, it really is incredible.
    When I used to take my wife out there I would go out to where the trail splits or maybe just a little bit further and then bring her back. That way she got enough action but didn't want to kill me like that time she crashed on Porc and started crying. I told her I was really sorry about that scrape on her face but we had another 11 miles back to the car.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yeah, after riding slickrock about 20 times, it takes a special event to make me want to do crunch out the whole loop. I am down to less than once a year or so. Now I have to make little games for myself like no dabs (easier/tougher depending on the bike I choose) and no riding within 6 feet of the markers (quite dicey in places).

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    I stopped riding slick rock a few years ago because I decided it wasn't fun anymore. There are much better trails to be had if I am going to make the roadie to Moab. That being said I think everybody should ride it, it really is incredible.
    When I used to take my wife out there I would go out to where the trail splits or maybe just a little bit further and then bring her back. That way she got enough action but didn't want to kill me like that time she crashed on Porc and started crying. I told her I was really sorry about that scrape on her face but we had another 11 miles back to the car.

frejwilk
    You know, I live in Moab and never get tired of riding Slickrock. I have a few friends who, whenever I ride with out there, never fail to give me new ideas. For those who find it 'stale', the advice I'd give is to ride it with someone who is out there often. Or take a day, ride it slow, hang out in various spots, and look outside the box at the terrain. Really, this is an amazing place to ride a mountain bike.

Gooseberry is great fun too. I like it for slightly different reasons.

Based on a couple of posts here, I think the OP would easier find what he's looking for at Gooseberry. I just wanted to speak up for one of my favorites.

FW

alien exchange student

It's like Sophie's Choice - I say love them all!

I ride Moab a lot more often than St. George area. I absolutely love Slickrock trail. I must agree with a bunch of others - on Slickrock you are only limited by your imagination. That said, Gooseberry Mesa is a fantastic trail. It offers things that Slickrock trail doesn't. It mixes things up very nicely. Take an extra few days and ride both. Sorry, I guess I am no help at all here. Mmmmmmmmmm Slickrock. Mmmmmmmmmm Gooseberry.

Cheers!

Mel

mtbr member
    AS someone who lives in St George and someone who used to own a vacation home in Moab....based on my weaknesses (read: bad short technical climber) I find the Goose a bit easier. There are at least 4 steep climbs. I have cleaned them all but one after a few rides there....there is a climb on Slick riding clockwise that I have never cleaned. I dont recall how long slickrock is to ride since it has been awhile. What is nice about the both of them are options to extend or shorten them. Little Creek is stellar and is on the other mesa adjacent to Goose....dont go by yourself...you will get lost without a gps.