If you have to ask...

Gooseberry trail dots- a suggestion

A few friends and I rode Gooseberry Mesa this sunday. We got so damned turned aroud it was funny. We had downloaded a map from Utahmountainbiking.com that was pathetically worthless, and from another site I can't remember that was noticeably better. Still, at the junctions that we came to (that we saw- that's another issue) it was a question of "Do we take this white dotted trail or that white dotted trail?"

How about different colors to distinguish different trails? Say, white for Slickrock, red fror Hidden Canyon (which was a blast, I must say), yellow for North Rim... you get the idea. Maps could then indicate which taril was what color, and idiots like us wouldn't wind up riding Hidden Canyon three times in one day (I did enjoy it all three times, though) and miss some trails entirely.

Another difficulty we had is that at junctions one trail or the other are practically impossible to see, so you ride right by, never realizing that you just missed your trail. Maybe and X at that point?

Now, lest anybody slam me for complaining that my hand was not held for me, please reread the parts mentioning that I had a great time, and enjoyed pretty much every inch of trail we rode. I would go out there next weekend if I could. I am merely trying to suggest simple ways to improve navigation in an area that is very maze-like, and where seeing you options was difficult.
    Extremely helpful were the occasional arrow or bent line painted on the rock to indicate turns- it was often necessary to sit up and look around for a little bit to see which way the trail went. The bent lines were great in those spots.

As a final note, I want to express my gratitude to the people responsible for developing the trails there. It was well worth the trip from San Diego. Thank you.

miles

Luddite technophile
    We were there Saturday. Ithink its about the 5th time for me, and the first time I felt confident of my navigation on the N. rim. The S. rim hasn't been too much of a problem for me, apart from figuring out where the next 20 feet of trail went to. Its a great trail system - hard to get too badly lost in any case. Just want to make sure you find your way back to your car before dark. I still don't think I've seen it all though.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Now, lest anybody slam me for complaining that my hand was not held for me
    Too late, Mr. Todd. You shoulda brought a Freak.

If you have to ask...

I know, I know

Next time. For certain.

miles

Gimme dat!!

You think that's bad???

Go ride Little Creek Mountain...I have never made it through that one without getting lost. The dots are virtually non-existent, the environmentalists destroy the carins and the trail follows a very unorthadox route. That being said, each time I go it is a new experience in mountainbiking pleasure.

Let me know when you are heading that way again Miles and I will muddle my way through it with you.

Menny

If you have to ask...

It's a deal.

I'm not sure how soon it'll be, though, since it was mighty toasty out there this time, and I really can't forsee it cooloing down for a while...

miles

shaved yeti

... and if we just ... environmentalist?

I've never seen a tree hugger on that mesa. It's not environmentalists tearing down cairns at little creek. It's our compadre's trying to keep the cairn-level down. Ever stop and wonder where you're going and see 5 or 6 cairns in every direction? It's too much... It's better to have main trails marked, and auxillary trails unmarked to keep people from getting really, really lost.

Don't get me wrong, I've ridden little creek plenty and get lost every time. I ridden goose over a hundred times and have never ridden it twice the same way. That's part of the fun of employing trail finding skills and riding something new and fresh.

banned

How about different colors to distinguish different trails? Say, white for Slickrock, red fror Hidden Canyon (which was a blast, I must say), yellow for North Rim... you get the idea. Maps could then indicate which taril was what color, and idiots like us wouldn't wind up riding Hidden Canyon three times in one day (I did enjoy it all three times, though) and miss some trails entirely.
    Apparently you guys missed one of the craziest trails, the purple dot trail...

If you have to ask...

At times it felt as if we were on purple dot...

that's for sure. We were retracing our route to get back to the parking lot, and recognizing all the feature. We knew we were on the right track, when all of a sudden we came to an area that we simply hadn't been on before. On the trail we had ridden. No turnoffs, junctions, etc. We looked and we looked. The trail had just changed. We were so screwed up it was funny.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

banned

microdots

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Apparently you guys missed one of the craziest trails, the purple dot trail...
    Kevin is such a showoff.

sponsored by Kotex
    Jan 2004

hahahaha!

that's for sure. We were retracing our route to get back to the parking lot, and recognizing all the feature. We knew we were on the right track, when all of a sudden we came to an area that we simply hadn't been on before. On the trail we had ridden. No turnoffs, junctions, etc. We looked and we looked. The trail had just changed. We were so screwed up it was funny.

miles
    A couple of friends and myself went to goosedown mesa 2 weeks ago and those dots scrambled us up! It took us awhile to figure it out. I have to say gooseberry mesa rocks!!!