mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Gooseberry / St George trail conditions....

Decided today to take a 36 hour bomber run next weekend to Gooseberry. *Assuming* the weather doesn't get in the way for the next week, are we going to be able to ride everything? If not, what do you foresee being to wet to ride? Assuming everything was perfect (which I don't expect), we'd hit Goose, Little Creek and JEM. However, I've still never made it over to Barrel Roll or Zen or most of those other St George trails (other than Church Rocks and Ice House).
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 02-10-2013 at 03:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Rode icehouse a week ago. It has not seen traffic for a while. The fire made the upper section a bit hard to follow. The trail needs some work but is still super fun. The road in on 902 was a bit muddy but no big deal. The locals need to do some trail work.

Your Best Friend
    Over the Edge Hurricane posts trail conditions on their Facebook page. They just posted up that Gooseberry road was ok yesterday but maybe not today. Jem is out as are all the other trails in that immediate vicinity. All others are good. By next weekend (low 60's!) all the trails should be rideable. I'm planning on being there as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the replies....@Punta: I don't know if there was an easier route to get on to Icehouse but alll in all, probably the least favorite trail we've ever taken on a "destination" trip. It was hard to follow from lack of use when we went too. @Silentfoe: Thanks, didn't realize Over the Edge did that. We always make the mandatory stop to say "hey" to the guys at the shop. Probably some of the most friendly shop employees I've ever run across...love how they'll BS with you if they have time. It's not all about always making a sale to them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Over the edge always has the info on the mesa conditions, just give them a call they are pretty good at judging when they are rideable. The mesa rides (goose, guac, little creek) are quite a bit higher then st george and prone to more snow. In general JEM, Bear Claw Poppy, Hurricane Rim are the ones that take the longest to dry out. The road to Goose is usually the limiting factor not the trail itself. Zen, Barrel, and Church rocks are first to dry out but all the Santa Clara rides (Barrel Roll, Sidewinder, Rimrunner/reaper) seem to shed water quickly. We were expecting a lot of precip this weekend and there hasn't been much here in st george, not sure if hurricane got hit.

mtbr member
    Second the comment to call Over The Edge in Hurricane. You can also "like" them on Facebook and catch their updates on conditions.

My experience has shown that Little Creek takes quite a bit longer to dry out than Goose or Guac. (It's a bit higher and a loooong muddy road in) We are headed down next weekend as well and we are expecting JEM and Goose and Guac to all be dry based on OTE's comments this weekend and the weather forecast for the next week.

We were down there over New Years and all the Santa Clara trails were in good shape, as well as Zen, while JEM, Gould's Rim, Lower Hurricane Rim, and Bear Claw were all muddy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    March 1st, all trails are good to go...70's and perfect!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    March 1st, all trails are good to go...70's and perfect!!
    Nice to know. Thanks for the update. I'm planning on heading down there in a couple weeks. Hope the weather holds.