mtbr member

Gooseberry Red Dot

Has anyone have the history of this most technical bit of trail? What is the name? And why aren't more people riding and maintaining it? Its pretty durn fun.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

Bike Snob
    What trail are you talking about? I don't know of anything marked in red. There was a purple once that was pretty tech.

I'd rather be biking...
    It's a short trail that branches off near the top of Hidden canyon to the south rim around a 100 yards or so once you've passed the first section of the rim.
    Green- south rim
    Blue-hidden
    red-

Gunna have to talk to Morgan about the history on it because I don't know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gooseberry Red Dot-red-dot.jpg  

Bike Snob
    I figured that was what he was talking about but I still think it was marked in purple. Maybe I'm color blind.
    I have heard a couple of names for that trail- The Backdoor to HC or Skyline.

Shelb, I assume that you ride it from the South Rim to HC? The direction you described is a beotch.

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    I figured that was what he was talking about but I still think it was marked in purple. Maybe I'm color blind.
    I have heard a couple of names for that trail- The Backdoor to HC or Skyline.

Shelb, I assume that you ride it from the South Rim to HC? The direction you described is a beotch.
    Slowerthensnot mentioned tonight at a bbq that possibly dean or Morgan built it back when dinosaurs roamed the planet and when the blm adopted gooseberry and made changes on what would become a legal trail it was left behind. Just a theory...

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15 View Post
    Slowerthensnot mentioned tonight at a bbq that possibly dean or Morgan built it back when dinosaurs roamed the planet and when the blm adopted gooseberry and made changes on what would become a legal trail it was left behind. Just a theory...
    I have heard that bit of lore before. That trail feels more like Dean (similar to Pot Farm) and less like Morgan.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    it was fully Dean and as per usual it has some really rad stuff and some not thought out parts.... just like p.f.l.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the photo is where its at. Its a bit tricky finding those faded paint marks, and there are a couple of thrashing sections especially where the scrub oak has grown back. Would it be worthwhile to re-estblish this dinosaur path?
    So, PFL is similar? Dean was talking at a bbq a couple of months ago here in Sedona. Said, we had to go ride it. I like those rides without paint and such. Worthwhile and techy hopefully?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    Yeah, the photo is where its at. Its a bit tricky finding those faded paint marks, and there are a couple of thrashing sections especially where the scrub oak has grown back. Would it be worthwhile to re-estblish this dinosaur path?
    So, PFL is similar? Dean was talking at a bbq a couple of months ago here in Sedona. Said, we had to go ride it. I like those rides without paint and such. Worthwhile and techy hopefully?
    The PFL is similar, the second half gets a lot more traffic and is more technical. Hard to find without a guide and 1 out of 10 guys have the onions to ride the Mind F*** at the end.
    I rode it once and took a picture so I would never have to ride it again.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I love this stuff! We're basically sitting around an Ecampfire deep in the woods telling tales of lost trail gold!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Ooo. I'm going to have to try and find that next time I'm out on the Goose. I'm always up for something different, especially if it involves tech.

So did we decide that it rides better from South Rim to HC..... or does it matter?

I wandered off onto some green dots (IIRC) once years ago while riding along the South Rim (before I new where the real trail went) and followed them for awhile before I finally lost track of them and backtracked onto the Rim.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-26-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Ooo. I'm going to have to try and find that next time I'm out on the Goose. I'm always up for something different, especially if it involves tech.

So did we decide that it rides better from South Rim to HC..... or does it matter?
    It does matter. Your going slightly downhill toward HC.

Wasea, nice Ecampfire reference. Next weeks campfire will talk about the connector trail between Little Creek South and Regular Little Creek.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It does matter. Your going slightly downhill toward HC.

Wasea, nice Ecampfire reference. Next weeks campfire will talk about the connector trail between Little Creek South and Regular Little Creek.
    I think it was be exceedingly stupid to talk about any illegal trail on Little Creek here and especially anything south.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    I think it was be exceedingly stupid to talk about any illegal trail on Little Creek here and especially anything south.
    What illegal trail are you talking about? There is no such trail, and talking about it is the only way to ever get it done.
    Did my wording give you cause to believe that it was somehow in process?

Are you so afraid of the BLM that the mere mention of a connector trail keeps you up at night?

The only "exceedingly stupid" thing would be to not talk about trail progression.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What illegal trail are you talking about? There is no such trail, and talking about it is the only way to ever get it done.
    Did my wording give you cause to believe that it was somehow in process?

Are you so afraid of the BLM that the mere mention of a connector trail keeps you up at night?

The only "exceedingly stupid" thing would be to not talk about trail progression.
    There are illegal trails in areas on Little Creek and many elsewhere, which may or may not be come legit during this travel management plan implementation. The South area is extremely sensitive due to the very number of archeological sites left from the Native Americans who lived in the area in the past, but you knew this I’m sure.

I personally am a founding member and current board member of Dixie Mountain Bike Trails Association, the local trail advocacy group here in SW Utah. We are working very closely with the BLM, and have been for some time in developing the new travel management plan which will impact our future recreation in Washington County, including Little Creek Mesa for years to come. We certainly welcome more involvement in this process by riders who care to take the time to be involved in the processes which will ultimately yield new and improved trails for our enjoyment.

So I guess my answer would be, no I am not afraid of the local BLM, while fireside e-chats and “talk” about trail progession are great, there are folks who are actually getting things accomplished by working with the BLM and local land managers. Talk is great, action is even better. Why not stop talking and join us?
    Last edited by STT GUY; 04-28-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Team Sanchez
    Pot farm is much more entertaining than the purple dot and green dot trails at Goose. PF has a couple of moves that will push your taint up into the back of your throat. The log ride is one, and like CGR mentioned, the Mind F@#$K. I'm thinking Krob would enjoy this piece of trail if he can find it!
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon View Post
    I'm thinking Krob would enjoy this piece of trail if he can find it!
    Sounds like I would. When you coming down to show me, Ben?

KRob------>Adding Pot Farm to my list of things to do.

Team Sanchez
    The problem is that CGR showed this trail to me. I've tried to find it since, and could not do so. We'll have to get CGR to act as trail guide again on this one.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"