mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Gooseberry Mesa road condition

My wife and I are heading to St George for some riding this coming week. How is the road up to Gooseberry Mesa? Is a Honda CRV adequate or should we bite the bullet gas wise and take my 4WD truck?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    road is in great condition. CRV will be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks, that is good news!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    any updates? how hard is it raining down there right now? was planning to come up on fri...any thoughts? looks wet, but hard to say if it is just showers or full on downpour from the weather sites. thanks!

Sled of Lead.
    I'd also like to know. I plan on being in Gooseberry over thanksgiving weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It has dumped in Hurricane all day. I live on a dirt road and it is a giant mud puddle. Hard to say what the roads will be like to Gooseberry and Guacamole - at the very least it will be sloppy. Jem / Little Creek are definitely not going to be rideable.

Sled of Lead.
    You mean not rideable this weekend or not rideable by Thanksgiving?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If it stops raining tonight I would think ok for thanksgiving but time will tell, depends on how much sun we get to dry everything out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It will probably be OK by Thursday if the rain lets up. It is dumping right now though. (7:30 AM Saturday)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The amount lf stupid the last couple of days has been unf#cking real.

Had a group from Washington getting ready to shuttle the JEM today. I said...."Really!!??" To which they replied "we're from Washington, we ride in all weather", to which I replied.."if you haven't noticed you're in the desert now....not Washington"....after some more pushback and giving them several alternatives which they could ride with minimal impact which they refused, I finally said quite sarcastically....."well then don't worry..while you're out fubaring our trails, we'll make sure your vehicles will be just fine..." They got all butt hurt and headed to Gooseberry....they're probably still stuck up there!

Do some research on the trails you're going to ride people or ask the local bike shop(s) about trail conditions.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    STT thank you it never amazes me when someone says they are a mtn bike rider.
    I always say it is a great sport and etc. then I usually say I just dont ride in mud
    when you travel to the desert you will know what I mean. I also say after you
    have your fun ride in poor trail conditions go back several days later and look at the trail.
    Have a great day.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Sled of Lead.
    Thanks for the updates, guys.
    I also plan on doing JEM and Guacamole.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    GOOD When it's wet....
    Prospector/Church Rocks/Dino Tracks
    Gooseberry....if the road into it is passable
    Guacamole...if the road into it is passable
    Barrel Roll/Sidewinder/Suicidal Tendencies/Rim System...these are great all weather trails and you don't have to drive on dirt to access them if you ride the singletrack from the pavement
    Zen Trail...Ditto

Absolutely DO NOT RIDE when it's wet......
    Bear Claw Poppy
    Upper Goulds
    JEM Trail
    Little Creek

Obviously use common sense on ANY trail after rain or snow and avoid damaging them.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    So, I just arrived to St. George yesterday and will be here all week. I'd appreciate some advice on the areas that will dry out quickly or have enough sand base/slickrock to ride damp.

I'm staying on the edge of the Zen/Bearclaw Poppy, etc area, but more than willing to drive to ride.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Poster Nutbag View Post
    So, I just arrived to St. George yesterday and will be here all week. I'd appreciate some advice on the areas that will dry out quickly or have enough sand base/slickrock to ride damp.

I'm staying on the edge of the Zen/Bearclaw Poppy, etc area, but more than willing to drive to ride.
    Ask>>>>>> Red Rock Cycles, Over the Edge Sports. Zion Cycles. These shops make it their JOB to know conditions.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for that list Monte.

People who ride in different climates just don't understand. If you ride in the mud in Washington, it will be rutted for a week or two. If you ride in the mud in the desert or go off trail, your ruts will be there for years and years and years.

Somebody has to actually go in with shovels and rakes to get rid of the damage you do. Just show respect for the work that other people put in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    STT Guy-Thanks again for the recommendations. You may some repeat customers tomorrow for JEM. Spoke to two older couple today from BC, they were really determined to ride JEM tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    The amount lf stupid the last couple of days has been unf#cking real.

Had a group from Washington getting ready to shuttle the JEM today. I said...."Really!!??" To which they replied "we're from Washington, we ride in all weather", to which I replied.."if you haven't noticed you're in the desert now....not Washington"....after some more pushback and giving them several alternatives which they could ride with minimal impact which they refused, I finally said quite sarcastically....."well then don't worry..while you're out fubaring our trails, we'll make sure your vehicles will be just fine..." They got all butt hurt and headed to Gooseberry....they're probably still stuck up there!

Do some research on the trails you're going to ride people or ask the local bike shop(s) about trail conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuitbiker View Post
    STT Guy-Thanks again for the recommendations. You may some repeat customers tomorrow for JEM. Spoke to two older couple today from BC, they were really determined to ride JEM tomorrow.
    Thanks for the heads up. Out of curiosity, what was their response when you shared with them that the JEM was not a good selection due to mud and trail damage?
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

Your Best Friend
    Car valve stems can be really hard to find sometimes...
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Car valve stems can be really hard to find sometimes...
    now....now.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I talked about the rain dumping on Saturday, which they witnessed. I suggested Santa Clara trails, they were not interested (great today-didn't know there was a Biggest Loser camp there-saw the campers on the drive to the TH). Anyways, The couple were convinced JEM would dry out by today. They were retirees. Don't think they really grasp the entire trail maintenance thing. It was a nice sunny day today. Hope everything worked out and everyone went home with smiles sans screwed up tire casings.

If anyone is wondering Dalton Wash is mostly dry and drivable today, just a few slightly wet clay spots. Made it down to 9 with 40 minutes of light to spare.

Perhaps, more signs and education literature may resolve the issue. Then again, must people don't even read their avy beacon instructions book let alone stop signs.

On a side note (away from the SW Utah area) most midwestern/Front range riders rationalize that their wet trail damage will resolve itself magically if enough people run over the same spot; regardless if the trail littered with 8-10inch rutts that sets up like concrete when dry.

Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Out of curiosity, what was their response when you shared with them that the JEM was not a good selection due to mud and trail damage?