mtbr member

Gooseberry camping info (how low impact?)

Does the mesa see enough use / dry weather that pooping in cat holes is frowned upon?

Wifey and I are planning a 2 week road trip sometime in Sept/Oct and plan to ride Gooseberry Mesa.

We're thinking about camping on the mesa and from the quick search I've done it sounds like there is just one outhouse within a mile or so of the camping sites. Is that right? We're experienced campers/backpackers and have no problem roughing it although a groover is probably not something we want to hassle with (or at least we'd want to give some thought to).

Also, what kind of vehicle is needed to access the camping? I read that it's doable in a 2wd car as long as the road is dry. Does that sound right?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    No problem driving up in my Toyota Matrix and you can always ride your bike to the shitter.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    we've camped up on the mesa the last two springs...

as far as blasting a duke...there's soil all around. you can dig a hole if you just can't hold it. if you can hold it...there are pits at most the major trailheads in the area...including there at gooseberry mesa trails area.

you'll be fine in a 2wd vehicle. it's a bumpy ride...it's steep if you head up from virgin...and bumpy..but, i've seen shitty minivans make it...actually hauling ass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    i've seen shitty minivans make it...actually hauling ass.
    lmao, that may have been me. I've done it in old 89 Chysler vans, although the last time I did it a rock hit one of my radiator hoses and it sprung a leak..

Bored Carp
    Our Passat can't make the road from the Rockville side most times. We have done it, but there are some dents on the underside, despite careful driving. The Little creek side is always a lot easier on the car, but requires a longer drive from Springdale. (The ride back to Springdale is almost all downhill, though. Nice for a few extra miles.)

Gooseberry sees enough use that it is nice if people do try to get to the outhouse. There is a lot of TP in the bushes around some of those campsites.

If you don't mind having people around, you can walk to beer from the National Park campground. Not remote, though.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bathroom

Gooseberry has a bathroom! Big map next to it. If you have a map of the area it right where the road splits and one piece heads north.
    Camping is no problem when dry.
    The roads there can turn to mush, don't drive in when wet without a 4x4.
    You will love this place, it's the most fun I've ever had on a bicycle.
    Be aware there are many good trails in the area.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The camping at Gooseberry is great. There is a bathroom nearby, and no reason not to ride to it (unless you just can't hold it). As the area gets more use, it will be great if campers could leave it nice for the next group.

The road up from Hurricane is by far the easiest to drive in from and also the shortest unless you are staying in Springdale/Zion. You will also go right past Over the Edge Sports right before you head out of Hurricane and you can get camping info there. I also know you can wash your bike, fill up on water, and grab a coffee.

When the roads are dry, any vehicle that is not slung low can make it to the camping if not to the main trail head. There is also the Windmill trailhead, which is on the main dirt road, past the outhouse. There is only one wash you have to cross and unless there was a recent storm, it is pretty easy.

See you out there!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info folks!

We'll probably be driving in from Zion because I want to spend a day or 2 in Bryce before going to Gooseberry. Sounds like camping will be great, good to know the outhouse isn't far from the camping spots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    I want to spend a day or 2 in Bryce before going to Gooseberry.
    While you are in Bryce, you need to check out the Thunder Mountain trail. Casto and Lossee canyons are pretty torn up by horses, but will be improving in the fall after the summer horse tour season. Brian Head has great alpine riding and you may hit the fall colors just right. If you end up in Brian Head, talk to Steve or KC at Brian Head Sports.

Dream Day: Thunder Mountain in AM, coffee in Panguitch, Bunker Creek in PM. HELL YEAH!!

mtbr member
    Someone is putting up Yurts on Gooseberry complete with restrooms. Rumor has it that they are going up in February.
    http://www.gooseberrymesa.net/index.html

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yurt On.

Dude's blog says construction starts in March.

viva la v-brakes!
    2-wheel drive on the road to Gooseberry Mesa? No problem!

Also Bryce canyon is at 8,000 feet. It will be cold and probably a$$ deep in snow over pres day weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Gooseberry snow

Gooseberry was a$$ deep in snow on Saturday 2/9. Been warm for a few days and hopefully will clear up by this weekend for the holiday. See you there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go fast, Take Chances
    See you there!
    Not this kid! Wifey and I are taking our trip in late September.

Tentative plans are to leave Montana for Bryce/Zion. Spend couple days riding/camping Gooseberry. Head west to Death Valley on the way to the coast (Nor-Cal then to OR). Hang out in the redwoods eating seafood. Head home after riding in Bend for a while.